Gabe Brooks/David Smoak Segment About UNT Job

jtm0097

42 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Great information. To the surprise of no one, we learn Littrell didn't have great relationships with local high school coaches or didn’t even try in the local area. It's also interesting that he said several coaches would trade rosters with North Texas in a heartbeat. We won't have our shortage of suitors, amongst several other reasons. 

Of course he didn't. He's not personable. Why our recruiting was just meh. If you can't recruit your local area, you can't recruit. 

The whole trade roster comment is just basic coach speak. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

24 minutes ago, gordo nation said:

Reading how hyped UNT was about Todd Dodge is one of the funniest things i've ever seen

You must be younger than me lol. I was a kid when he was hired and I remember it being talked about nationally as a game changing hire and how UNT was the first school to pull a HC straight from HS and were starting a trend. It was praised by virtually everyone but ended up being probably the worst decision imaginable by UNT

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

You must be younger than me lol. I was a kid when he was hired and I remember it being talked about nationally as a game changing hire and how UNT was the first school to pull a HC straight from HS and were starting a trend. It was praised by virtually everyone but ended up being probably the worst decision imaginable by UNT

Certainly not the first.  It wasn't even UNT's first time to do it (Odus Mitchell and Dennis Parker were both hired directly out of Marshall H.S.).  But after Notre Dame's failed attempt at it with Jerry Faust, everybody swore it would never happen again at the 1A/FBS level.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

We didn't have any money.  That’s the only reason it happened.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

17 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Well we interviewed Jim Harbaugh then too but he went to Stanford and got a little more money then we could afford at that time 

I heard Harbaugh had applied.

After Dennis Parker was fired one source in the UNT Athletic Dept. said Barry “he was tired of sitting on his Norman sofa” Switzer inquired about the Mean Green head football coach’s job.  Why not? His friend Hayden Fry had a good rebound of his career while in Denton. (Jerry Jones would eventually hire Switzer for the Cowboys). 

• Upvote 3

I was 100% against the Teflon Todd hire. Then he brought in his high school staff and became the worst ncaa coach in history. Racism accusations also hit the program at that time. He was a total embarrassment to the university. If anyone stole money from UNT it was him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Here’s how this seems to go with UNT coaches recruiting DFW, especially Denton County:

New UNT Coach: “Alright, time to build relationships with these local coaches at these great programs and get top recruits!”

DFW HS Coach: “Hey coach! I want to make sure every player of mine worthwhile goes to a P5 even if it’s their only P5 offer and they’re going to ride the bench there. But hey, will you please offer my FCS/D2 level players?”

New UNT Coach: “Ummm we will consider it.”

DFW HS Coach: “Man, I don’t really like that UNT Coach.”

Mccarney ended up having more success in East Texas and Littrell really pulled some impressive Houston area recruits. Hopefully the new coach can be the one to make it a cool destination for local recruits, but it doesn’t come easily as overrecruited as this area is.

This is exactly what I think happens. Coaches are entitled as hell and think so little of UNT that they think we should beg for their 2nd tier talent. 

• Upvote 2