DRC breaking news -- UNT set to promote Jim Gush to co-defensive coordinator

Brett Vito

37 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Sounds like our administration is bending over backwards to appease an over paid, under achieving head coach that is hopefully out after next season

Could be the demands of Bennett, who is arguably our best coach that hopefully we want to keep on our staff.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Or it could be, as stated above, prepping for this to be Bennett's final year and having someone ready to step in and provide continuity.  Bennett and Gush have worked together for a long time.

Seth's last year as well so, likely won't matter

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

So now we've got son in law, and his son on staff?

Holy nepotism. Sam's been only on the offensive side of the ball his entire career outside a one year stint with Irving HS.

I get we're trying to keep Bennett on staff and I'm all for it considering our rapid defensive improvement last year, but I'm concerned about losing 3 of our best D-Lineman and Tyreke. I guess we'll get to see the coaching prowess of Passwaters shine through /s and hope to God it doesn't blow up in our face.

Some on here are convinced our schedule is a shoe-in for 8 wins. With this staff, our transfers/graduations, and no real QB coach/OC since Graham?

It feels like I'm watching the Hindenburg fire up it's engines.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Holy nepotism. Sam's been only on the offensive side of the ball his entire career outside a one year stint with Irving HS.

I get we're trying to keep Bennett on staff and I'm all for it considering our rapid defensive improvement last year, but I'm concerned about losing 3 of our best D-Lineman and Tyreke. I guess we'll get to see the coaching prowess of Passwaters shine through /s and hope to God it doesn't blow up in our face.

Some on here are convinced our schedule is a shoe-in for 8 wins. With this staff, our transfers/graduations, and no real QB coach/OC since Graham?

Not to be nit picky because I agree but you didn’t use the best historical reference.  If this isn’t a case of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic then I don’t understand the analogy.   8 wins?  We are more likely to have 8 fans in the stands come our season finale than 8 wins or 7 wins hoping to get to 8 in that game.  🤣

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not to be nit picky because I agree but you didn’t use the best historical reference.  If this isn’t a case of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic then I don’t understand the analogy.   8 wins?  We are more likely to have 8 fans in the stands come our season finale than 8 wins or 7 wins hoping to get to 8 in that game.  🤣

Titanic, Hindenburg, Chernobyl. Any horrendous disaster fits here IMO. Take your pick

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

This is the most underwhelming and un-enthusiastic off-season we've had in a long time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

11 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

This is the most underwhelming and un-enthusiastic off-season we've had in a long time. 

I could not agree more.

We're into March now and we're still sitting on a handful of scholarships for transfers after a very underwhelming signing day.   
Our only additions since then?  2 Longsnappers.     Let me repeat:  FREAKING 2 LONGSNAPPERS!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

41 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

So now we have two offense only guys coaching defense bc they are related to Phil? 
Phil did a great job turning around the defense but this nepotism is a little silly. If these two were up-and-coming defensive coaches I would hardly object to hiring a family member. But it seems like these hires are to get jobs/experience for family members only. Disappointed. 
On a completely unrelated note, can Phil’s daughter coach QBs?

• Eye Roll 1

11 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Sounds like our administration is bending over backwards to appease an over paid, under achieving head coach that is hopefully out after next season

It just sounds like throwing ¢ to save $ but it doesn’t make sense.  Because since Mason Fine’s graduation, it appears Seth’s Competency getting offensive talent to play up to their potential (or beyond estimated potential) was overestimated.  So bolstering/solidifying the defensive coaching staff won’t do much to help Seth save his job.  Not only because of the departure of some key defensive players but it doesn’t look like we picked up any studs to replace them.   All I know is that Wren better hold on to our basketball coach or hit a home run replacing him or Seth else many won’t see the value of him away from UNT and/or retaining him at UNT pass his current contract.   I wonder what these hiring look like on the football coaching budget.   All this only makes sense if Bennett is already viewed as Seth’s successor barring a massive collapse in defensive performance in 2022.  (That isn’t something I am in favor of but it at least makes these moves appear to somewhat logical looking at 2023 and beyond).  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I could not agree more.

We're into March now and we're still sitting on a handful of scholarships for transfers after a very underwhelming signing day.   
Our only additions since then?  2 Longsnappers.     Let me repeat:  FREAKING 2 LONGSNAPPERS!!!

Agreed. 

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

It just sounds like throwing ¢ to save $ but it doesn’t make sense.  Because since Mason Fine’s graduation, it appears Seth’s Competency getting offensive talent to play up to their potential (or beyond estimated potential) was overestimated.   All I know is that Wren better hold on to our basketball coach or hit a home run replacing him or Seth else many won’t see the value of him away from UNT and/or retaining him at UNT pass his current contract.   I wonder what these hiring look like on the football coaching budget.   All this only makes sense if Bennett is already viewed as Seth’s successor barring a massive collapse in defensive performance in 2022.  (That isn’t something I am in favor of but it at least makes these moves appear to somewhat logical looking at 2023 and beyond).  

I would continue to be extremely underwhelmed if Bennett was Seth's successor. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Agreed. 

I would continue to be extremely underwhelmed if Bennett was Seth's successor. 

Par for the course and like I said I am not in favor of it either.  I have moved past evaluating Seth.  Once Seth was retained after 3 losing seasons basically for beating  a coach in a clumsy bad weather game.  Before that fluke game  that has vastly outperformed Seth in a shorter amount of time with less resources.  Therefore in my view Seth’s future failure here is squarely on Wren.   And a Phil Bennet hiring to replaced him… Well he better win big else my criticism of the football program will start and end with Wren.  Unfortunately it looks like we are on the low risk, low reward treadmill again when it comes to football.  A Bennett hiring would be right in line with that.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Par for the course and like I said I am not in favor of it either.  I have moved past evaluating Seth.  Once Seth was retained after 3 losing seasons basically for beating  a coach in a clumsy bad weather game that has vastly outperformed Seth in a shorter amount of time with less resources and Seth’s future failure here is squarely on Wren.   And a Phil Bennet hiring to replaced him… Well he better win big else my criticism of the football program will start and end with Wren.  Unfortunately it looks like we are on the low risk, low reward treadmill again when it comes to football.  A Bennett hiring would be right in line with that.

Wren has done a lot of great things for our athletics, but I will start questioning his leadership if he doesn't right this football program soon. 

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Nepotism as it may be, the coaching industry is notorious for severe elbow greasing. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

As much as we'll bring in basketball,  football is going to be brutal. Unfortunately the most popular sport. Hopefully Wren has a guy in mind to get.

Should have happened this off season.   It may have been $$ thing as some speculated on the buyout (again should have never been extended).  Hope Wren has that short-list up to date by end of October!

• Skeptical Eagle 1