Murphy gets offer from Penn State

jperg2

40 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

You old timers are so weird. This is happening all the time outside the NCAA too in the business world. If I get a better opportunity somewhere, its about furthering myself. Leaving doesn't say anything about them. If Seth Littrell got a better offer, he'd do what's best for his family, not what's best for North Texas. Think about your current role in your job- wouldn't you go somewhere else for higher pay/exposure/opportunity?

Also I'd rather get the chance to play for a National Championship that for a 6-6 team that lost in a made up bowl to a MAC team. I don't fault them at all. 

Doesn't make it right.  You youngsters are so weird.  The lack of commitment is also reflected in the divorce rate.

Sometimes there is value and great lessons in sticking to your commitments, building something better, working through difficult times and leaving something better than you found it when you time is up.  It's called character.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, meanJewGreen said:

You old timers are so weird. This is happening all the time outside the NCAA too in the business world. If I get a better opportunity somewhere, its about furthering myself. Leaving doesn't say anything about them. If Seth Littrell got a better offer, he'd do what's best for his family, not what's best for North Texas. Think about your current role in your job- wouldn't you go somewhere else for higher pay/exposure/opportunity?

Also I'd rather get the chance to play for a National Championship that for a 6-6 team that lost in a made up bowl to a MAC team. I don't fault them at all. 

I agree with everything you said, and good for the players getting paid etc. However, the school gets nothing for the time and development of players. They should sign the players for contracts, and if they want to leave that's fine, then the players agent can get the new team to buy him out of his contract just like coaches.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Doesn't make it right.  You youngsters are so weird.  The lack of commitment is also reflected in the divorce rate.

Sometimes there is value and great lessons in sticking to your commitments, building something better, working through difficult times and leaving something better than you found it when you time is up.  It's called character.

If you're investing in something that you can believe in... sure.   With such a short window, Collegiate football players have to be very deliberate in what they're investing that time in.

I suppose you never left a job for another opportunity because it was better for YOU?    Your career lasts for decades.  These guys can only play D1 football for 4-5 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

We have all changed jobs for what we think are greener pastures. Sometimes it works out and other times the greener pastures turn out to be  a wasteland, but we moved to better ourselves, it works or doesn't. We have to move on and make the best of what they got. They are no longer here we have to move on. From what I was told spirits of the team are still good. So lets move on to

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Coach_1976 said:

We have all changed jobs for what we think are greener pastures. Sometimes it works out and other times the greener pastures turn out to be  a wasteland, but we moved to better ourselves, it works or doesn't. We have to move on and make the best of what they got. They are no longer here we have to move on. From what I was told spirits of the team are still good. So lets move on to

Fine with moving on but some on here want to act happy about it and that’s BS.  Those guys ate up a lot of our resources and coaching and hit the road.  If your wife leaves you for another are you happy about it and is it fair?  That’s what I thought.  Quit trying to sugarcoat bad news.

Interesting takes in this thread.  However, I think some subtle but important factors are being ignored in the analogies to the "real world."  As fans/alumni we are emotionally (and financially) invested in our school/team.  As a natural by-product, we also get emotionally invested and, in the age of NIL, are being asked to get more financially invested in the student-athletes.  Not only are we asked to support the brand, we are asked to support the individual student-athletes that bring that brand to life through scholarships or potentially NIL dollars.  There's a reason why we don't just say, "that number 6 sure was fun to watch."  

In contrast, you may have brand loyalty to Nike, for example, but if some employee leaves for a better job at Under Armor, it doesn't really matter because they were not presented as the current face of the brand and you were not asked to help pay for that employee's education or buy his jersey.  It's hard to divorce that emotional attachment when a player chooses to move on.  I think that's what many feel and react to when it happens.  

College sports has changed, but if it has changed for better or worse is yet to be determined. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Again every team is loosing top players except maybe the top 5. Why would a starter and a all conference CB transfer from OK St to LSU? This is a position that LSU needed to fill. The player being from Shreveport, might be a better chance for a nat'l champ and it could be NIL $$. The G5 that have stars with P5 size are going to get cherry picked on a continuous basis. Hopefully we can attract P5 guys that are not getting a chance to play. HS recruits are going to have a tough time unless you are star.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Definitely not football related and definitely not true. The divorce rate is at a 50 year *low*. Nice judgements though. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 9.59.08 AM.png

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/what-is-divorce-rate-america/#:~:text=Yeah.,each year is…more complicated.

The CDC’s number is imprecise. The latest CDC marriage and divorce stats are based on data reported by just 44 states and the District of Columbia, leaving out a number of states to base marriage statistics on. But that’s not all: some states report marriage counts, but not divorce counts, and vice versa, says Krista K. Payne, Ph.D., a data analyst at the National Center for Family and Marriage Research at Bowling Green State University in Ohio. California, for example — a state with some 40 million people — isn’t included in the CDC’s divorce rate. Data collection and divorce statistics aren’t uniform either, so states can get those numbers however they want.

Considering you provided this and singled this out of one of my comments, it isn't surprising how off target you are.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Again every team is loosing top players except maybe the top 5. Why would a starter and a all conference CB transfer from OK St to LSU? This is a position that LSU needed to fill. The player being from Shreveport, might be a better chance for a nat'l champ and it could be NIL $$. The G5 that have stars with P5 size are going to get cherry picked on a continuous basis. Hopefully we can attract P5 guys that are not getting a chance to play. HS recruits are going to have a tough time unless you are star.

Hell even the national champion is losing players.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/01/alabama-lands-georgias-leading-receiver-from-transfer-portal.html?outputType=amp

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Keep in mind we are living in the age of post modernization. A man’s word, handshake or even a contract have little or no value in today’s world.

Its all about self, what’s best for me. 

So, you've never left a job for another or taken a promotion?

• Upvote 1

I don't understand some of y'alls takes. How can you blame the Murphy bros for looking around and taking the next offer (like a job as many have alluded to)? Why don't you re-direct your frustration at the coaches instead, that have yet to fill those gaps the Murphy bros are leaving behind?

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

2 hours ago, meanJewGreen said:

You old timers are so weird. This is happening all the time outside the NCAA too in the business world. If I get a better opportunity somewhere, its about furthering myself. Leaving doesn't say anything about them.

Yeah, loyalty is such an old school thing.  Hope you young guys out for yourselves have a family, business or wife that can forgive you when you leave all them behind for that better opportunity.  It's the "All about me" world today. Sad.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6

5 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I don't understand some of y'alls takes. How can you blame the Murphy bros for looking around and taking the next offer (like a job as many have alluded to)? Why don't you re-direct your frustration at the coaches instead, that have yet to fill those gaps the Murphy bros are leaving behind?

Exactly. If Wren and Seth had taken care of business...this wouldn't even be a problem. And if someone did leave for greener pastures, wish them well and replace them. Which we can't. Because our coaches apparently don't know how.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Udomann said:

So, you've never left a job for another or taken a promotion?

Tired of this argument, but if that is the direction you want to take this, then let's just recruit young men and tell them their scholarship is good for one year and we will reassess your position with the team at the end of the year.  There is no guarantee of a four/five year college degree as this will be strictly a year to year agreement.  

A promotion would be moving up the depth chart or moving from a backup to a starter's position.  You come to work every day, perform the duties of your position as assigned, take direction from your supervisors/coaches, you are loyal to the company/school and we will determine if you are in line for a promotion.  By the way, we will not discuss your position with your Mom or Dad as you are our "employee" not them.  If you want to discuss your employment with them, that is your decision, but we since they are not our employee, we will not share your current job status or any other information as it relates to your employment with us.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Udomann said:

Exactly. If Wren and Seth had taken care of business...this wouldn't even be a problem. And if someone did leave for greener pastures, wish them well and replace them. Which we can't. Because our coaches apparently don't know how.

Correct take. Players come and go, it's up to the coaches to remediate that which ours have not. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, keith said:

As fans/alumni we are emotionally (and financially) invested in our school/team.

I assume most on this board are students or alums or just long time fans.  We have ownership by association.  We are tied to the program, for better or worse.  There is no leaving, no portal, no better school with more fan perks.  We are here.  ADs,  coaches, even some players will come and go with no thought to UNT ever again.   They don't have ownership, we do.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I blame @NorthTexasSportsNetwork for having a yelling match with the players. It is the most logical reason for a player to leave. They do fear him after all.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

https://www.fatherly.com/love-money/what-is-divorce-rate-america/#:~:text=Yeah.,each year is…more complicated.

The CDC’s number is imprecise. ...

Considering you provided this and singled this out of one of my comments, it isn't surprising how off target you are.

You don't even read the articles you link - you just grab one paragraph and try to mic-drop. It is embarrassing. Your link says it is complicated and CDC numbers can be off a bit. Yet my link is using many data sets, not just CDC. 

Your link says Baby Boomers are the largest reason for the high divorce rates and since they are dying off it is leading to these declines in divorces.  Read this section of your article.

Divorce in America: The Baby Boomer Factor
One of the biggest problems with national divorce averages is that they
include baby boomers, a group that, statistically, is very prone to divorce. 

That if this trend continues - divorces will be 2/3rd of what they were when the boomers were around. Very interesting read - thanks!  

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Fine with moving on but some on here want to act happy about it and that’s BS.  Those guys ate up a lot of our resources and coaching and hit the road.  If your wife leaves you for another are you happy about it and is it fair?  That’s what I thought.  Quit trying to sugarcoat bad news.

I don't know that anyone is "happy" about it.

I just think people are so hyper-focused on our program that they cannot understand why anyone would abandon it (which, make no mistake, is what the Murphys did).

The Murphys are getting crapped on for their decision to leave, and many here are just trying to shed a little light on the "why".
Everyone applauded Kason Martin for leaving with well wishes.  Why?

NEWSFLASH!:  Kason & the Murphys... and Brammer, and Cam Johnson last year, etc... all left for the same exact reason.  A better opportunity for themselves. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

I wish them well - they seem like nice young men. I certainly can't blame them for trying to maximize their opportunities in this small window of their life. If they can parlay this into some nationally recognized and academically excellent private school education AND get on more TV sets at the same time? We'd be fools to not take a look if given the same situation. 

Certainly sucks for us people back at MG fandom-land though. I hope we get some good JC DEs. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I should've just stuck with PwC out of school since they committed to me with that job offer. How dare I busted my ass for years on my own time preparing myself for the world of finance where I now work a fraction and make a multiple. It's no different with these athletes. They're likely not the same athlete/player as they were when they came out of HS. They busted it in the weight room, in the video room to learn how to improve. Did my job at PwC help me in my maturation? Yes. Did I do more of the heavy lifting myself? Of course.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Want to avoid this? Make this a program worth transferring into. Period. I have no faith left in Littrell to do this. 

Is coach trying to recruit the portal to import players?   I have no idea.  It doesn't seem so.  Is the program, as is, not appealing to portal transfers?   I doubt it, it's not even appealing to many fans.   Something needs to change, either more winning, or different coach.   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You don't even read the articles you link - you just grab one paragraph and try to mic-drop. It is embarrassing. Your link says it is complicated and CDC numbers can be off a bit. Yet my link is using many data sets, not just CDC. 

Your link says Baby Boomers are the largest reason for the high divorce rates and since they are dying off it is leading to these declines in divorces.  Read this section of your article.

Divorce in America: The Baby Boomer Factor
One of the biggest problems with national divorce averages is that they
include baby boomers, a group that, statistically, is very prone to divorce. 

That if this trend continues - divorces will be 2/3rd of what they were when the boomers were around. Very interesting read - thanks!  

You pulled out a part that fits your narrative and I pulled out a part that showed how the current stats are not accurate.  It is embarrassing that you are so absorbed with what I post that you attack at the drop of a hat, so thanks for proving that the graph you posted is inaccurate, regardless as to what group of people contribute to that inaccuracy.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2