Billboard Coverage

MeanGreen2019

A certain team has posted their logo outside of our stadium again. The fact they have done it to us the last several years in Denton is quite frustrating. 

I’m to the point that I’m willing to contribute some money to Wren or the alumni group to stop having other teams do this, regardless of which team it is. It’s embarrassing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

21 minutes ago, Uncle said:

SMU acts like UNT is not a rival and is beneath them. 
This proves otherwise. 

We have these billboards up everywhere our key athletes are from to emphasize local recruiting and reward the athlete.  

Looking at recruiting results there's really no reason we'd spend money to target you specifically. You aren't really competing for the same players per the offer lists and there is more than enough to go around.  You just happen to have a really good location on 35. For advertising at least. 

For example, just got another 4 star WR commit this morning.  You didn't offer him. Expect to see a similar billboard in Mesquite in 2023.

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

We have these billboards up everywhere our key athletes are from to emphasize local recruiting and reward the athlete.  

Looking at recruiting results there's really no reason we'd spend money to target you specifically. You aren't really competing for the same players per the offer lists and there is more than enough to go around.  You just happen to have a really good location on 35. For advertising at least. 

For example, just got another 4 star WR commit this morning.  You didn't offer him. Expect to see a similar billboard in Mesquite in 2023.

@DentonStang okay I will give you credit for the recruiting. Now let's see if you can answer a question without the regular spin. Why do you think it is at all the money spent by SMU and the success still has not related to getting actual people to attend your games? 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@DentonStang okay I will give you credit for the recruiting. Now let's see if you can answer a question without the regular spin. Why do you think it is at all the money spent by SMU and the success still has not related to getting actual people to attend your games? 

"footballnews.com" gives a 5 year average of home attendance and stadium capacity of 130 D1 programs. SMU is 90th with 21,500 , UNT 99th at 20,000. We could say the same about all the money UNT has invested in football with little to show for it in terms of won/loss record and our inability to get actual people to attend games.

• Upvote 4

34 minutes ago, wardly said:

"footballnews.com" gives a 5 year average of home attendance and stadium capacity of 130 D1 programs. SMU is 90th with 21,500 , UNT 99th at 20,000. We could say the same about all the money UNT has invested in football with little to show for it in terms of won/loss record and our inability to get actual people to attend games.

If you have ever looked at an SMU game, other than the UNT game, on TV, there is absolutely no way that SMU has had near that many people. Not saying we are doing great, but from MU to act like they are the new destination for Dallas college football is not shown in the actual butts in seats.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If you have ever looked at an SMU game, other than the UNT game, on TV, there is absolutely no way that SMU has had near that many people. Not saying we are doing great, but from MU to act like they are the new destination for Dallas college football is not shown in the actual butts in seats.

I always am amused by these attendance debates.  Other than the few P5 schools that actually sell out, they are mostly fiction.  

SMU is in a much better conference and in a giant population area and still struggles with attendance.   NT does better than SMU but with a much larger student base has absolutely nothing to brag about.  

14 minutes ago, drex said:

SMU owns Dallas about as much as UNT owns Denton...silly expenditures from both schools.

Don't get this comment.   UNT is the only men's college team that is located in Denton, so in that sense they own Denton.

SMU is hardly a blip on the radar in DFW.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DentonStang said:

image.gif.85e8465959a0a783004ec91b1bbdd8ec.gif

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

First off, those billboards are 100% about recruiting not tickets, although those two do influence each other  But I don't think it's accurate to say it hasn't translated to people attending.  There's a side discussion over whether attendance is overblown or not.

On attendance, we had a significant uptick in attendance I'm the second half of 2019 where it became obvious we had something starting to come together.  2020 would have been a significant uptick if you go by buzz. Of course, buzz is not data and due to covid we can't know what attendance would have been.  I was at every 2020 home SMU game and they were all sold out, but that proves nothing with social distance capacity. 

Other factors that contribute are having no conference games that bring any significant visitor fans other than Houston every other year, and small student body.  A big state school like UNT can fill the stadium with students. You have 32,000 undergrads. That alone fill the stadium. SMU has 5000 undergrads and fills less than 1/6 of the stadium with 100% undergrad attendance. Same story with alumni. We need Tshirt fans to come, and you need sustained winning to get there, and you need years of outreach like the billboards, like the Dallas jerseys, to get there.  And trying to sell it in years you suck, or years you are kind of good vs crap opponents nobody cares about has zero effect. We are in year 2 or 3 of realistically trying to make an impact. 

Season tickets are up. Recruiting is a new level.  We'll see what that translates to in this Delta year, but it won't be instant consistent sell outs. 

I'm 2019 we had 22,766 for UNT.

After we beat TCU, picked up an away win, and retuned home ranked in the top 25, we had the following

28,142 Tulsa

23,132 Temple

29,528 East Carolina

Then we blew an awful game vs Navy, dropped out of the top 25, and ended with 21k vs Tulane. 

Tulsa, Temple, East Carolina, and Tulane all bring practically nobody for ticket sales.  This shows a base of 20k or so which is growth from the past where it was even less, plus interested people who will come when there is some hype.

2020 had home games vs ranked Memphis, top 10 Cincinnati, and Navy, which would have all been very full games if not sellouts.

Edited by DentonStang
  • Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

42 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

All I see is an unidentifiable player and the word “DENTON.”  Looks like an ad for North Texas or Denton High with an odd color choice to me.

GO MEAN GREEN

Good catch. I guess they believe putting SMU on their billboard would not be well received?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

First off, those billboards are 100% about recruiting not tickets, although those two do influence each other  But I don't think it's accurate to say it hasn't translated to people attending.  There's a side discussion over whether attendance is overblown or not.

On attendance, we had a significant uptick in attendance I'm the second half of 2019 where it became obvious we had something starting to come together.  2020 would have been a significant uptick if you go by buzz. Of course, buzz is not data and due to covid we can't know what attendance would have been.  I was at every 2020 home SMU game and they were all sold out, but that proves nothing with social distance capacity. 

Other factors that contribute are having no conference games that bring any significant visitor fans other than Houston every other year, and small student body.  A big state school like UNT can fill the stadium with students. You have 32,000 undergrads. That alone fill the stadium. SMU has 5000 undergrads and fills less than 1/6 of the stadium with 100% undergrad attendance. Same story with alumni. We need Tshirt fans to come, and you need sustained winning to get there, and you need years of outreach like the billboards, like the Dallas jerseys, to get there.  And trying to sell it in years you suck, or years you are kind of good vs crap opponents nobody cares about has zero effect. We are in year 2 or 3 of realistically trying to make an impact. 

Season tickets are up. Recruiting is a new level.  We'll see what that translates to in this Delta year, but it won't be instant consistent sell outs. 

I'm 2019 we had 22,766 for UNT.

After we beat TCU, picked up an away win, and retuned home ranked in the top 25, we had the following

28,142 Tulsa

23,132 Temple

29,528 East Carolina

Then we blew an awful game vs Navy, dropped out of the top 25, and ended with 21k vs Tulane. 

Tulsa, Temple, East Carolina, and Tulane all bring practically nobody for ticket sales.  This shows a base of 20k or so which is growth from the past where it was even less, plus interested people who will come when there is some hype.

2020 had home games vs ranked Memphis, top 10 Cincinnati, and Navy, which would have all been very full games if not sellouts.

We still have had bigger crowds in the past 4 years than y’all have, and we weren’t even ranked.

Very sad that y’all were top 20 and only 28K

But then again, not surprised. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

We still have had bigger crowds in the past 4 years than y’all have, and we weren’t even ranked.

Very sad that y’all were top 20 and only 28K

But then again, not surprised.

Talking attendance smack when you have 6x as many students and alumni and you still had 16k-20k in all your 2019 games except when Houston fans drove up?  You think this makes you look better? 

As if resorting to attendance smack wasn't embarrassing enough.  Come on man!  Is band and cheerleader smack next or campus architecture?  Maybe landscaping?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Pissed 2
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Talking attendance smack when you have 6x as many students and alumni and you still had 16k-20k in all your 2019 games except when Houston fans drove up?  You think this makes you look better? 

As if resorting to attendance smack wasn't embarrassing enough.  Come on man!  Is band and cheerleader smack next or campus architecture?  Maybe landscaping?

But you guys are the Dallas Mustangs. Isn't Dallas a giant City with lots of people

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4