***OFFICIAL ACU vs. UNT in-Game Discussion***

Udomann

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

Harvey got picked on a lot. Was also wondering why he (all the CBs?) was playing 10-ish yards off his man. I’m football dumb, maybe it’s Reffet’s thing all the time.

Yeah, we had recently finally gotten away from that deep coverage, but I noticed it some tonight too.  Didn't notice which player it was, but likely it was Harvey based on your comment.

• Upvote 2

The reason Fine was left in the game was not to pad stats, but to win the game.  

That defense was plain awful and the way ACU was moving the ball, I think the coaches were afraid of what the score may have been with another QB.   An unimpressive win or a loss were certainly possibilities.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I didn’t read this whole thread, but I didn’t see anyone mention Tyreke going out with a bum quad.   The instant that happened, the wheels fell off on defense. Wood missed a tackle Tyreke likely would have made on that 60-something yard TD run that made the score 41-17 early in the 3rd.  After that, coverages got a lot softer & we blitzed a lot less, which is the source of QB pressures in this 3-3 stack defense.  ACU took advantage of all of those things.

Maybe we have a Fine equivalent at LB?  Depth there is most definitely concerning.  We’re going to need Tyreke back pronto.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I didn’t read this whole thread, but I didn’t see anyone mention Tyreke going out with a bum quad.   The instant that happened, the wheels fell off on defense. Wood missed a tackle Tyreke likely would have made on that 60-something yard TD run that made the score 41-17 early in the 3rd.  After that, coverages got a lot softer & we blitzed a lot less, which is the source of QB pressures in this 3-3 stack defense.  ACU took advantage of all of those things.

Maybe we have a Fine equivalent at LB?  Depth there is most definitely concerning.  We’re going to need Tyreke back pronto.

Next man up... Especially against FCS..  terrible showing. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Didn’t realize that he went out. Wishing him a speedy recovery.  Depth at LB is not yet a strength. Hoping I’m wrong. GMG!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Talon90 said:

AState was favored and SMU dominated them in the 2nd half.  Their offense is a lot better than last year.  

2.5 point favorites per Vegas. I had picked SMU to win by 11. AState was under the interim leadership of our defensive coordinator. Coach Anderson’s wife died last week and he was unable to attend because of another family medical emergency. Wouldn’t read a lot into anything going on at AState. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I’m trying not to read too much into the big plays given up towards the end of the game. The most charitable interpretation is that the defense shifted into garbage time mode and lost focus. For the sake of my mental health I’ll go with this one until proven otherwise. 

I’m still a little unsatisfied with the win though. According to some ACU fans we’re no better than EWU or James Madison? Well we didn’t do too much in the second half to prove them wrong.

You really have to beat the breaks off of these FCS teams and keep them down, or else its an asterisk as you move through the rest of the season. On to the next one.

16 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I’m trying not to read too much into the big plays given up towards the end of the game. The most charitable interpretation is that the defense shifted into garbage time mode and lost focus. For the sake of my mental health I’ll go with this one until proven otherwise. 

I’m still a little unsatisfied with the win though. According to some ACU fans we’re no better than EWU or James Madison? Well we didn’t do too much in the second half to prove them wrong.

You really have to beat the breaks off of these FCS teams and keep them down, or else its an asterisk as you move through the rest of the season. On to the next one.

I think it's noteworthy to be read into. We all knew that was going to be the problem this year. And it proved to be a problem vs a FCS program. 

As for the ACU fans, we were up by 30+ points. And though I don't like it, called the dogs off as far as offensive play calling. And it's not that I don't mind calling the dogs off, I mind it when our defense starts reeling and the opponent starts to feel good about themselves. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

It was 31-0 at one point. Y’all are over analyzing the game. Back away from the cliff until after the SMU game. If NT loses in Dallas, then y’all can start speed baggin’ each other’s nutsacks. 

I’m not panicking but I see some red flags. 

My way-too-early thought: I thought maybe this program finally has a historic, 11+ win team that will put people away, roll out back ups that impress me, and crack the T25. After last night, I don’t think we are quite there yet. We are still dancing on a very thin line between 6 wins and a ceiling of 10. I need a few more games to feel certain but the latter right now seems like a reach.

TLDR: greenminer probably drank too much green koolaid.

• Downvote 1