DRC: Fine vows to return for senior season after pondering transferring

Brett Vito

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is media bullshit.

It basically is just media bullshit. 

Someone asked if he was leaving, to which he responded: "thought about it, but no. this is my home." 

Our best player, who has legitimate prospects to play on national TV every game, for games that matter, and in bowls that people will actually go to, decided that he wanted to give all that up and stay. 

Why do we expect these young men to be robots who just take what they're given?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Did someone at another school reach out?

If somebody did that before Mason notifies anybody, it would be a MAJOR NCAA violation. Doubt anybody would ever admit to it.

That said, if somebody at a big school where the starter is a senior wants to get that message to MF, that can probably happen indirectly, as in very indirectly and with plausible deniability.

If you are Mason confident in your sklls and dreaming of going to the NFL, the idea of a top notch P5 making space for you to start your senior year has to be at least somewhat attractive, just for draft reasons. And if you are a decent P5 who is good but whos starter is leaving, wouldn't you salivate at the idea of graduate transferring Fine (Lets say you are oklahoma State)? And that is not even to mention what may happen if Littrell were to leave. I don't think Fine will leave as there are also serious risks with doing it, but still this off-season may end up being really long, and there is plenty of time for him to reconsider.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, outoftown said:

If somebody did that before Mason notifies anybody, it would be a MAJOR NCAA violation. Doubt anybody would ever admit to it.

That said, if somebody at a big school starter is a senior wants to get that message to MF, that can probably happen indirectly, ass invery indirectly and with plausible deniability.

If you are Mason confident in your sklls and dreaming of going to the NFL, the idea of a top notch P5 making space for you to start your senior year has to be at least somewhat attractive, just for draft reasons. And if you are a decent P5 who is good but whos starter is leaving, wouldn't you salivate at the idea of graduate transferring Fine (Lets say you are oklahoma State)? And that is not even to mention what may happen if Littrell were to leave. I don't think Fine will leave as there are also serious risks with doing it, but still this off-season may end up being really long.

He's gotten enough attention doing what he's doing at UNT. If he's going to the NFL, transferring won't help him. Either he can drop a dime in the corner of the endzone and hit a receiver in the hands on a 15 yard out or he can't.

And he can.

I just HATE the way the media does this....(Unless I'm missing something that wasn't reported) Mason Fine's words were "it crossed my mind" because obviously if someone brought it up it naturally would. But Vito takes that and turns it into Fine "briefly considered" transferring. That suggests so much more. And Vito knows it...it's why he wrote that.

F'ing media. They're all the same. Fine's only mistake was he answered honestly. And Vito turned it into so much more. And this is going to turn into more. And there's nothing to it.

This is why athletes don't give any substance or answer questions honestly....

He should've just said: "I just want to give 110% and by golly win some games" over and over....

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, RiseUNT said:

I didn't read the article or the posts.

He earned his scholarship here. He earned the starting spot here. He earned his hof spot here. He has earned the right to do what he wants here 

This. I'll also add that he has placed his body on the line for this University. He owes us nothing

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

I don’t see too many 3 year starters at QB coming back to a LOADED offense for their senior year admit they thought about leaving it all behind. It might have just been a passing thought (I don’t think it was) but the optics are still awful and Mason should have known better. 

The optics are really bad. I would understand it if someone took his job or something. But there will be people now who will think less of him because of this. People can say players should look out for themselves. I understand. On the flip side, 1 FBS team gave him an offer, he has started 3 seasons and considered transferring and sitting out a year to do it? That's really bizarre. Did something happen? Is he doing poorly in school or homesick? I get he chose to stay but its really strange. I know when I was playing players would have asked him wtf. Jokingly at least. 

The statement is kind of out of left field and odd. 

Oh well, seems like off season talk.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I just love how some want to bang on this kid for being honest.  

“Hey Mason, I know that when you were in high school re-writing record books and being Oklahoma player of the year you dreamed of playing on the biggest stage.  Have you ever considered playing your last year on television each week, in front of fans that will show up even if the wind blows and who watch games because of their team and not the sexiness of the opponent?”  

“Nah, never crossed my mind”

Yep!

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 6

30 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I assume he is in position to graduate early, so he could transfer with immediate eligibility.

That would be my guess. I didn't think Vito described the situation very well. He should have said, due to blank, blank and blank, have you considered using your last year of eligibility elsewhere. If so, where? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Fine said Tuesday that game won’t be his final appearance at Apogee Stadium. The Oklahoma native briefly considered transferring to play his senior season at another school but quickly dismissed the notion. “It crossed my mind,” Fine said. “You weigh the pros and cons. I have made my decision that I will stay here no matter what.” 

Hey @Brett Vito can we maybe get some context here? What was the question he was answering? Did someone at another school reach out? Did someone ask him if he wanted to play for...Washington St? WVU? Name a school with a good offense that needs a QB. In that case, yes, if someone said "hey Mason, you could transfer to a P5 school and probably start." Then yes, obviously it will cross his mind because....he was asked the question. And of course you weigh the pros and cons. But did he actually CONSIDER transferring? Having it "cross his mind" which is what Mason said. And actually CONSIDERING it are two different things. You say "he briefly considered transferring" Give me a break.

This is another school reaching out to Fine.....Fine going....interesting, they want me.....then 2 seconds later going, "yeah I'm good"

But now we get an article about it.....can't wait until Twitter gets it. "Mason Fine thought about transferring."

Then half say "wow, I can't believe how ungrateful he was....this was the only school that gave him a chance." The other half is  "Yeah Mason Fine's too good for UNT anyway."

This is media bullshit. Bravo Vito. Good job.

Exactly!

It's a bit of a stretch to turn  “It crossed my mind," into "The Oklahoma native briefly considered transferring to play his senior season at another school ..."

He didn't say he considered it at all.  Having a thought cross your mind does not equal considering something.

e.g.  It crossed my mind that I COULD eat sushi for dinner.  Since I hate sushi, I WOULD NEVER eat it, so I certainly didn't consider it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4