Riley Dodge named new Southlake Carroll HC

All About UNT

2 hours ago, Marty said:

According to the Startlegram, Todd Dodge was set to return but a deal fell through on March 11. 

Heard about this coaching hire on KRLD Radio 1080 while driving somewhere. Their take was that TD may have backed off so as not to be competing with RD.

And here's a nifty DeepGreen prediction.  As HC of Southlake, Riley will be "in training" for the eventual Head Coach position of Westlake HD in Austin, currently held by his father, Todd Dodge, when Todd decides to retire.  He will pass the torch to Riley at Westlake.  Why?  Because that burnt orange blood flows in their veins.  They like to be around ut athletics, Austin.

You heard it here first.

• Upvote 1

I don’t like this for Riley.  The expectations of the last Dodge that was HC, and the unrealistic views of SLC fans that they are “owed” championships, will make it hard for him.  To me this would be like Jimmy Johnson’s kid taking over the Cowboys HC job...all the resources in the world, but a fanbase ignorant to the fact that other teams have athletes and money too.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

I don’t like this for Riley.  The expectations of the last Dodge that was HC, and the unrealistic views of SLC fans that they are “owed” championships, will make it hard for him.  To me this would be like Jimmy Johnson’s kid taking over the Cowboys HC job...all the resources in the world, but a fanbase ignorant to the fact that other teams have athletes and money too.

Excellent observation 

2 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

And here's a nifty DeepGreen prediction.  As HC of Southlake, Riley will be "in training" for the eventual Head Coach position of Westlake HD in Austin, currently held by his father, Todd Dodge, when Todd decides to retire.  He will pass the torch to Riley at Westlake.  Why?  Because that burnt orange blood flows in their veins.  They like to be around ut athletics, Austin.

You heard it here first.

I don't know about that.  Riley is so young he may be looking to move up to college coaching next. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I don't know about that.  Riley is so young he may be looking to move up to college coaching next. 

He certainly could do that.  And hopefully he learned a valuable lesson from his father's unsuccessful trajectory toward a college coaching career.  The correct order is:

Successful high school H.C. --> college assistant --> college coordinator --> college H.C. --> win

• Thanks 1