UTSA Game Mindset

BTG_Fan1

With the game a little over 48 hours from now, I feel like some things need to be said and brought up.. We have had a good past 3 weeks, from the UAB game-winning field goal to beating USM at USM and to now the feel and excitement of a critical game that should have a large crowd (we hope)...

We need to remember, a month ago after the SMU game and leading up to Iowa, we thought this was another lost season.. Iowa we played and lead for nearly 3 Qtrs... UAB we got up and then UAB fought back, with Special Teams coming up huge for us (Thanks Trevor and Evan).. USM we played a terrible 1st Qtr. with people writing this team off with us coming back (Props to anyone who admitted they went over board to soon) and winning by 2 scores at USM...This past week has been good for us with us seeing the hype build up on campus, and off campus as well. We have seen posts about GH being a rumored HC candidate at UTEP, and talk of if some really special things happen that SL could possibly be gone.. 

But this is the Debbie Downer part..

A lot of us on here picked this game as L before the season even started. We have been riding high, but it maybe time to take it down a notch to where we were during the USM game week.

Yes we have beaten 2 good/very good CUSA West schools that challenged us.. We have 2 good/very good CUSA West schools left in UTSA and LAT.. We need to get back to the mindset that we had before the bye week. UTSA is going to come in here and play hard so they don't go down 0-2 in conference, nor will UTSA come in here and just roll over because of a big crowd, or because of us being 2-0... This next month will be very telling for this team..UTSA and LAT are the major C-USA West challengers left for us, with them both having lost last week. FAU is up top of C-USA East with our match as possibly being a critical game in determining who gets home field in the championship game.. ODU is a game that should not be overlooked either, even if this is a down year for them. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 7

Man, I like you, I think you're a good fan, and I'm glad you're a part of this forum. 

But you're so in the tank for this staff... It doesn't seem to matter if we're playing the Movin' Mavs intramural football team, it's never okay to expect a result out of this team in advance.

God help anyone that's criticized the staff or the administration if we take a lead in the game, though. 

The guy makes a million a year. People can and should expect outcomes as long as he's cashing his checks. 

13 minutes ago, TheTastyGreek said:

Man, I like you, I think you're a good fan, and I'm glad you're a part of this forum. 

But you're so in the tank for this staff... It doesn't seem to matter if we're playing the Movin' Mavs intramural football team, it's never okay to expect a result out of this team in advance.

God help anyone that's criticized the staff or the administration if we take a lead in the game, though. 

The guy makes a million a year. People can and should expect outcomes as long as he's cashing his checks. 

People should expect stuff, heck I expect us to get to bowl game.. But if people are going to think we are a cakewalk away from 10-2 and a CUSA championship birth they are mistaken.... We have not earned anything, nor has this team..

We can get high on the team, but we need to be real with what to expect..

People jumping off the bandwagon after SMU to jump back on after Iowa, then jump off after UAB (because UAB was a bad team at the time they thought) to only jump back on after the USM game is why this fan base has a core of solid believers and then a bunch of people who show up when we are good then disappear when we are bad... 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

7 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I don’t remember a unanimous sentiment that the season was lost after Iowa.

I don’t remember a single post saying that 10-2 is now a cakewalk.

either my memory sucks or you’re terrible at this message board stuff.

Leading up to Iowa after the SMU beat-down people had given up.. nor did I say the season was lost after Iowa.. people saying they couldn’t give away tickets, people saying it would be a long 2 or 3 years under SL.. 

The cakewalk line was about people thinking that we need to readjust our outlook of the team and how 10-2 is a possibly and how we can be playing in the CUSA championship..

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

The amazing thing thus far with our football program is how since Apogee opened we have yet IMHO to truly recruit toward our campus venue that former Dallas Cowboys Super Scout Gil Brandt called  "A Taj Mahal of College Football."  (And back then when Brandt made that quote he added......AND I'VE SEEN THEM ALL.

OK, it's Hayden Fry time young whipper'snappers, but one thing I will always remember Coach Fry saying while at North Texas was "if I can just get them on this campus I like my chances of signing any kid."  We lost that recruiting attitude for almost 40 years, folks, no denying it, but we know why for the most part--don't we?

Some of you Older Nestors will recall that had their been recruiting services, Coach Fry didn't have many recruiting classes that would have ranked close to any of  DKR's annual haul at UT-Austin, but look how a bunch of unheralded Mean Green recruits under Fry played the Longhorns of Darrell K. Royal off their hooves back in the day?  ➡️Hellsbells! Earl Campbell had to have a late 4'th quarter TD run to beat the Mean Green first time we ever played them in 1976.  😡We won't even mention the 1988 game with a UT receiver catching a winning TD pass 5 yards out of bounds. It's on YouTube.

So much for recruiting rankings, eh?  Well, there is much to say about recruiting rankings but that in my heart of hearts will get better once we really & truly finally get a foundation in place in Denton--a foundation built among Texas HS football coaches who (in past years & decades, too) we seem to have all but treated like after-thoughts & totally unimportant to our future.

SO......:Yes:!

Thus far this season and it's half done, but the best part IMO is what seems to be some exceptional coaching we are getting (especially for the offensive line).  Now that unit may implode come this Saturday night (although I don't think they will) but we have not had too many heralded recruiting classes comparative to others in CUSA since we joined it, yet look how we are still competing--not being steamrollers mind you (at this time) but we are most competitive. 

Time to finally admit that good things may  be ahead for us as far as in a consistent winning seasons  basis? Hope so.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Downvote 1

Good grief. I don't expect a big crowd it's too soon (those that do will be disappointed)

I also can't give my tickets away (again too soon).

But we should expect this team to win. And if we need to " to take it down a notch" so the team plays hard. Well then I don't know what to say. We've been terrible forever. Earn it every week. I think the team knows that.

I think you're just worried you are getting excited and will get let down. Think Rice 2013 and it will all be ok.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Leading up to Iowa after the SMU beat-down people had given up.. nor did I say the season was lost after Iowa.. people saying they couldn’t give away tickets, people saying it would be a long 2 or 3 years under SL.. 

The cakewalk line was about people thinking that we need to readjust our outlook of the team and how 10-2 is a possibly and how we can be playing in the CUSA championship..

I mean,
We've NEVER won one of those paycheck games.   What were you expecting from fans leading up to the Iowa game?

After 2 weeks of conference play, watching how UNT (as well as the rest of the league) has shaken out, the possibility of winning the conference looks to be much more of a possibility than it did at the beginning of the year with our tremendously-shaky STs play, porous OL, super-thin LB corps, & struggling defensive secondary. 

People's minds change over the season after watching the team play against other teams.   I mean, before the season started, who here thought we'd be complaining about our defensive secondary (with 2 1st-team all-conference guys... one of whom isn't even a starter anymore) after 5 games?  On the flipside, who thought the OL would be doing as well as they are?

As for "people saying it would be a long 2 or 3 years under SL"...   That absolutely was not the over-arching sentiment of the board.   Maybe a few people said that, and that's what you grabbed onto, but most of it was just lamenting a loss, with hope for getting back on track during conference play.

• Upvote 2