Perspective

emmitt01

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

People get banned.  They then make new accounts.  Then those get banned.  Repeat.

It's like a terrible, terrible version of the circle of life.

I think that version is called Grown Ass Men Can't Deal. Not as catchy with Pumbaa in the lead role.

13 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

Making sure I got this right:

NT is out-recruited by SMU for years.

Fine got all of his yards against their 2nd and 3rd teamers. 

Those second and third teamers are all 3 star athletes, or at least higher ranked 2 stars than our guys, waiting their turn.

Yes?

Fine disappeared for two quarters, right? My memory sucks but I recall a few rally killers that contributed to Fine's alleged disappearance. Ill-advised trick plays and muffed punts (Fine wasn't in the game for that punt or the reverse on kick off), an outmanned matchup or two on the offensive line, penalties that stopped drives or gave up points. Fair balance: I am sure Mason would like to take back the interceptions, true. 

Mason Fine is a good quarterback, composed and accurate. Good character guy too. I am pulling for him.

GMG

Shhh you're talking all logical like.

• Upvote 6

On 9/10/2017 at 7:50 PM, Ben Gooding said:

There should never be a player of the game in any regard after a loss. Never, ever, never. Sends the wrong message to both fans and players. 

NT plays Alabama for the national championship and Joe Bob, the unusual NT player who played both ways, had 256 yards rushing, 128 yards receiving, 2-2 passing for 123 yards, and had 23 tackles including 5 sacks in a 54-48 loss to Alabama.   He was named player of the game by the national media, but was not honored by NT because the team lost.   

Silly, but so is your proposition that members of a losing team should not be honored by the school.   Good performances should be rewarded, win or lose.  It also serves as an incentive for all players and adds a little interest for the fans.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:40 PM, UNTKING said:

Can you breakdown the Dajon Williams stats for me as well?

Dajon Williams has nothing to do with Mason Fine.  Dajon Williams was an unknown but talented athlete who seemed perhaps to have an issue with attitude and work ethic.  Mason Fine was a highly decorated HS QB whose attitude and work ethic are, by all accounts, exemplary.  He may not ever be a Shane Carden or Rakeem Cato, but he is more than capable of being the QB of a winning C-USA team.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, UNTKING said:

So what does a winning UNT QB look like? Fine is 5-6 as a starter in 2 seasons so far stats wise. Derek Thompson has been on a winning CUSA team.

Dereck Thompson has been on the only winning team in the last 10 years if you want to keep things in perspective.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

The irony of this picture paired with the angle of your argument. It's truly poetic. 

...Since Fine could get out there and cover Sutton.  Y'all are right.  Football is not a team sport.   Only QBs are responsible for wins/losses.

And speaking of Derek Thompson, that 8-play-goal-line stand VS Rice during his 9-4 Senior year really cements him as my favorite Mean Green player of all time.  Just incredible that 1 guy could keep the entire Rice offense out of the end zone 8 straight times.

Fine is a good QB.  He's a Sophomore.  He'll get better.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

...Since Fine could get out there and cover Sutton.  Y'all are right.  Football is not a team sport.   Only QBs are responsible for wins/losses.

And speaking of Derek Thompson, that 8-play-goal-line stand VS Rice during his 9-4 Senior year really cements him as my favorite Mean Green player of all time.  Just incredible that 1 guy could keep the entire Rice offense out of the end zone 8 straight times.

Fine is a good QB.  He's a Sophomore.  He'll get better.

Oh I'm not really debating your point. I was just pointing out your stance + photo. Thought it was funny. 

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Fine is a good QB.  He's a Sophomore.  We'll get better.

IMO, we need to recruit and develop better in other areas.  I'm good with Fine to manage a good team.  He doesn't strike me as one to singularly take over a game on offense, but he's about as solid as we've had in years.

10 minutes ago, UNTKING said:

Wasn't Thompson the HOD bowl MVP?

Heck yeah!   Whipped those Rebels up and down the field all by himself.  
It was difficult to stop them when he had to come out with a wrist injury and MiniMac came in, but he shrugged that worthless injury off, came back out and dominated the rest of the way.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTKING said:

So what does a winning UNT QB look like? Fine is 5-6 as a starter in 2 seasons so far stats wise. Derek Thompson has been on a winning CUSA team.

DT was 18-18 in his last 3 seasons. If only our defense this year was garnering AP votes, too.

I don't understand all the hate for Fine.  He is not a P5 level starting QB I get it.  But have we ever had that here?  UNT Hall of Fame Inductee Scott Hall was great but he wouldn't be the automatic starter at most P5 programs.  Only his scrappiness would earn him the starting job at mid-level P5 program.  Hell even Major Applewhite got benched (underserved) for a "blue-chip" recruit.   I don't know why we have such a hard time getting good QB here.  I hope Fine's numbers in Seth's offense attracts some better QB recruits.  

But also what are the alternatives?  I think that Quinn being the number one back up speaks more to the lack up quality depth at the QB position than Quinn's talent or performance in the Spring and Fall camps.   If I were to make the switch at that position I would desperately want someone considerably taller than Fine.   And have 2 RS upperclassmen that meet that description: Devlin O'Hare and Devin Issadore.  They should be ones that really pushed Fine this offseason.   The fact that it appears they didn't means 1 of 4 things to   1. They don't have an expert command of the playbook.  2. They don't trust them to stay academically eligible 3. They just don't execute well (physical shortcomings or accuracy).  4.  They aren't good leaders.  I just trust the coaches to know more than any of us when it comes to this.

When we get these "more talented" QB  recruits they need to have work good ethic and not think that the Mean Green program owes them something extra choosing not to go be a back up at Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Texas A&M, or even Houston.  "Negative Nancies" need to pump the breaks till we lose a couple of CUSA games.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

IMO, we need to recruit and develop better in other areas.  I'm good with Fine to manage a good team.  He doesn't strike me as one to singularly take over a game on offense, but he's about as solid as we've had in years.

We have recruited Pearson, Martin, Bean.. and we Bean is now not a wanted commit because some unknown reason (for him to be the backup).. when he has the best offer list for any QB that we have had

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

We have recruited Pearson, Martin, Bean.. and we Bean is now not a wanted commit because some unknown reason (for him to be the backup).. when he has the best offer list for any QB that we have had

Unknown?  You just answered the "unknown".    I'm still glad he's on board by the way...

I mean, you have to admit, going from his stellar Jr year to now being a Senior backing up a Junior is a little concerning.

I have a name for you:  Connor Means.   Means had a fantastic Jr year in H.S., then had a pedestrian-at-best year as a Senior.  He had already committed though, so we were stuck with him, and now...?

Not saying Bean = Means, but the concern is not unwarranted, because we've seen it before.

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Unknown?  You just answered the "unknown".    I'm still glad he's on board by the way...

I mean, you have to admit, going from his stellar Jr year to now being a Senior backing up a Junior is a little concerning.

I have a name for you:  Connor Means.   Means had a fantastic Jr year in H.S., then had a pedestrian-at-best year as a Senior.  He had already committed though, so we were stuck with him, and now...?

Not saying Bean = Means, but the concern is not unwarranted, because we've seen it before.

Bean is coming in and going to be competing for the QB with Pearson, Fine, Martin.. Bean isn't the only kid in that room that we have hope for.. 

Are you really thinking that SL/GH have the same eye for talent as Mac and his staff? Before people say oh look at the offer lists... SL took nearly the same roster that got blown out by Portland State and took them to a bowl in year one... SL moved multiple guys that Mac and his staff recruited to other spots, Means went from QB to RB to LB.. 

Again, NO ONE here has any idea as to why he is splitting time/backing up... If this other kid is even a slightly better passer then he probably starts, if this other kid picks up an offer from some p5 program everyone will still be made.. Us worrying about a recruit that hasn't even signed is so dumb... We can worry once Bean gets onto campus, but even then he will be trying to beat out Fine, Pearson, Martin, and anyone else that they add...

16 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

But also what are the alternatives?  I think that Quinn being the number one back up speaks more to the lack up quality depth at the QB position than Quinn's talent or performance in the Spring and Fall camps.   If I were to make the switch at that position I would desperately want someone considerably taller than Fine.   And have 2 RS upperclassmen that meet that description: Devlin O'Hare and Devin Issadore.  They should be ones that really pushed Fine this offseason.   The fact that it appears they didn't means 1 of 4 things to   1. They don't have an expert command of the playbook.  2. They don't trust them to stay academically eligible 3. They just don't execute well (physical shortcomings or accuracy).  4.  They aren't good leaders.  I just trust the coaches to know more than any of us when it comes to this.

Just a heads up, but O'Hara isn't on the team anymore, I believe...

Isadore as well was having to overcome a torn ACL from when he was in JUCO last year.. No idea how this impacted his performance, but it still a factor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1