The Problem.

MGNation92

Just now, Ryan Munthe said:

At this point I go to UNT games to drink and have fun. I watch a tiny bit of the games because what's the point.

No point. Currently. 

But I watch the game because I like football. I like to watch and pay attention to the game within the game. By doing this, the flaws in preparation and in-game management and just the amount of coaching miscues start phone book smacking you in the face. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

At this point I go to UNT games to drink and have fun. I watch a tiny bit of the games because what's the point.

I renewed my season tickets at the last minute just because I felt like I was losing an arm or leg without them. This season will determine if I say screw it and just part ways with said "limb"...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Dude I feel your pain but Wren and Seth aren't losers.  Our culture is losery and fan base has all the issues you pointed to I agree....and this was a poor coaching performance...but these dudes are for real.  They have a lot to over come because of the very culture you're talking about...why don't we have money? Because we don't win...why don't we win? Because we don't have money...chicken or the egg?  It's a shit sandwich...but if there's anyone to clean up our sandwich at what we can afford I DO believe in both Seth and Wren.  Tonight sucked but we knew going in that the Ponies were a lot farther along than us.  I'm no blind follower but I believe in this crew.  Give them a bit of time. 

He's got a point 

• Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Mason Fine had ample time to throw the football tonight. 

What are you talking about?

Fine has some time later when they called off the dogs and put in subs. Go back and look at the first half after we went up 10. They started to be more aggressive and fine kept getting plastered on even designed quick passes.

28 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Fine has some time later when they called off the dogs and put in subs. Go back and look at the first half after we went up 10. They started to be more aggressive and fine kept getting plastered on even designed quick passes.

He had time waaaay more than he did not have time. SMU was able to apply pressure when they blitzed, imagine that. I'm not saying we have all CUSA linemen. But the time was there to have an impactful game had we not shoot ourselves in the foot 3 or 4 times. 

2 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Someone tell me something good! Cause I saw nothing.....I must be a masochist.

Well, I hate to break the news to you, but that is how just about everyone outside of the North Texas nation sees anyone who regularly shows up to games. And sadly, that's how too many inside the North Texas nation sees loyal football/basketball fans.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

Yawn.  The game got out of hand, pretty fast, you can't flame the fans for tuning out.

if anything our culture is strong.  UNT had a great turn out for the game.

SMU's student section was embarrassing.    They can't get the kids past mid-blvd, let alone into the stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Mason Fine had ample time to throw the football tonight. The OL did a good job. The OL was good in all aspects, IMO. You can't run the ball against a wall. It hit a point very early in the 2nd half we were forced out of running altogether. But Mr. Dink and Dunk in the press box didn't force the out of the defense. We still passed, with yardage success, and SMU didn't budge because ineffective yardage is meaningless. 

You hear Littrell's press conference post game said OL was directly responsible for multiple hits on Fine.  Sure some where on Fine for holding it to long, but WR gotta get open for him to be able to throw to. I'm no QB apologist but the kid is working against a lot of odds and still making a ton of plays. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You hear Littrell's press conference post game said OL was directly responsible for multiple hits on Fine.  Sure some where on Fine for holding it to long, but WR gotta get open for him to be able to throw to. I'm no QB apologist but the kid is working against a lot of odds and still making a ton of plays. 

We can't praise Fine's boosted statistics and improvement while slandering the OL. Regardless of what string the OL was up against, Fine threw for over 400 with 69% completion rate. 

Also, the run game was abandoned and SMU's DL knew passes were coming basically the entire 2nd half. Along with the constant crowded LOS every play, the OL held their own. 

3 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

How long until UAB passes UNT?

1-2 yrs. We'll be saying, "gee golly goose we'll be on UAB's level soon" when it happens. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 2

Sums up the so-called UNT fan perfectly! And, people ask about the UNT "culture". Well, here it is front and center.  It's not something important enough for many to support unless the team wins or hires a coach they like or doesn't fire a coach they don't like or don't like folks in the athletic dept or don't like "this or that".  Not trying to rag on Tasty here. It is just that he happened to have the guts to admit it in this forum. Tasty is simply one of many...way too many.  Maybe just a sign of the times.

Very challenging to change the culture or improve programs when you have thousands of alumni and ex-students who feel exactly the same way Tasty does.

Fortunately, I do think UNT is trying to do a much better job of instilling pride in its students.  Prime example were four freshmen sitting right in front of us at the SMU Game last night...well, one was standing, yelling and waving a UNT flag through the game...yes, even when we were down 38.  They each expressed that they were "sports fans" and loved UNT...win or lose.  They plan on attending all the home football games and basketball games.  They knew UNT had a history of losing, but felt they and their classmates would be making a difference in how athletics are supported at UNT.

I could help but thinking, "sure kid, wait until you have been doing this for about 50 years".  But, if this is any indication of what is beginning to develop as far as support in our student body, something is changing for the better.  Here's hoping that "culture change" is underway.

These freshmen, who I had a great time being with last night, were about the only bright spot I could find as a take-a-way from that beating we took at the hands of SMU last night.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I was glad Fine got up and had his faculties after a couple of hits he took in the first half.

• Upvote 3

See Tasty, you're the problem. If you just threw your money at the AD and took your beatings like the rest of us, you'd be much happier. 

Just look at Kram! Couldn't have a care in the world. Gets all the access he wants and can enjoy his friends as they all suck up the AD and watch it go up in flames.

Can't you tell how positive that would make you? You just gotta keep on keepin on!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 4

smu grossly underperformed for several years. We caught them a few years ago when things were sort of clicking for us and they were at a nadir. That will always be the exception to the smu - NT rule. It is a vastly superior institution with far more funds. There is no arguing it. You can dissect the particulars of this game but I wouldn't hold onto this result. It is true that years ago the NT leadership could have put us on a trajectory where we could expect to clobber smu every time. That didn't happen. Are we on that trajectory now? Probably not and I don't get paid to know how to accomplish that or whether, given all the factors, it can be accomplished. We don't have a history of great leadership. That is the problem. I guess I can thank coach Dickey for changing my interest level from looking at the scores, to being a former season ticket holder. But we never progressed from his limited success. It is a giant task. I don't know if the commitment is there or the people who are up to it. 

SMU has a helluva coach. AState tried to hire him twice and thought we had him after Harsin left. Sutton is an All-American who is going to make more money his first year out of college than I've made since college.

Researching them pre-season I figured they would be the second best offense AState would see, just wasn't sure what their defense would be like.

23 months ago UNT gave up 66 to an FCS, giving up 54 to a team that will likely be top 20 in scoring offense isn't pleasant but ball protection didn't help.

After Iowa things get much more manageable and a bowl ought to be expected.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, LongJim said:

I was glad Fine got up and had his faculties after a couple of hits he took in the first half.

If you watched the Lamar game closely you knew what was to come the next week.

6 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Just look at Kram! Couldn't have a care in the world. Gets all the access he wants and can enjoy his friends as they all suck up the AD and watch it go up in flames.

Can't you tell how positive that would make you? You just gotta keep on keepin on!

But Kram does have a care in the world.  

IMG_1420.PNG.17cca952d7bd4b4e4bb896cd7fe06407.PNG

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

smu grossly underperformed for several years. We caught them a few years ago when things were sort of clicking for us and they were at a nadir. That will always be the exception to the smu - NT rule. It is a vastly superior institution with far more funds. There is no arguing it. 

I think this is a reality we all should realize... SMU is simply ahead of us, and way ahead in many areas.  Can UNT make-up ground and compete in football?  Sure, but there's a lot of work to do.  

Better coaching on our side would have prevented the lopsided loss, but losing to SMU shouldn't be a big surprise right now - they could be pretty darn good this year (much to my dismay).

I'm sticking with my 6-6 prediction and hoping (praying) our gameplan in all 3 phases is better going forward that this past Saturday.

Iowa could be a royal mud-hole stomping on us... CUSA games will be better times.

16 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Just look at Kram! Couldn't have a care in the world. 

You are exactly right! Helps to keep things in perspective.  Thanks. You should try this positive, glass half-full thing sometime.

10 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

But Kram does have a care in the world.  

IMG_1420.PNG.17cca952d7bd4b4e4bb896cd7fe06407.PNG

Rick

Nope...don't have to "care" about my Pokes as that fan base has figured out what it takes to develop a winning culture and program. Glad you still care however.  And, speaking of programs...interesting reading in the Mean Green Club section of UNT's football program this year. Check it out for names there and not there. 

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

The problem?  There's none of this when we need a yard.

Navy-TD.gif

Rick

Yeah. Seth Littrell mocks this kind of stuff. 70 points worth, I believe. SMU doesn't like getting hit in the mouth. That was apparent even when we had a bad team in 2014. Playing a finesse brand of football like we are doing now plays right into their hands or comfort level.