MGC #'s out?

MeanGreenTexan

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This picture from the Mean Green Club Facebook page indicates we have 1,036 MGC members.   If so, that is sad.
21149958_1844125815614770_75705328511618

I know Wren committed to releasing these numbers, and I applaud him for being accountable to his promise, as well as showing our alumni how we stack up compared to our neighbors.  

Sad, yes. I believe we were sitting at the mid-800's when RV was shown the door. I will take a +200-ish increase every year for the next 10 years. It's not ideal, but it's substantial growth to get us over 3k donors by 2026. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This picture from the Mean Green Club Facebook page indicates we have 1,036 MGC members.   If so, that is sad.

Well paint your finger nails black, put The Smiths on repeat, and revel in the sadness.  

When RV got here is original plan was to get us to 3000 members by 2004, but that didn't quire work out.

According to those number, TCU has 6% of it's alumni become athletics donors and SMU has about 4% do the same.   The bad news is that we're sitting at .2% (POINT TWO, not two).  The good news is that if we can get this thing on the right track, getting even  3% of alumni to become supporters would double TCU's numbers.

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Well paint your finger nails black, put The Smiths on repeat, and revel in the sadness.  

When RV got here is original plan was to get us to 3000 members by 2004, but that didn't quire work out.

According to those number, TCU has 6% of it's alumni become athletics donors and SMU has about 4% do the same.   The bad news is that we're sitting at .2% (POINT TWO, not two).  The good news is that if we can get this thing on the right track, getting even  3% of alumni to become supporters would double TCU's numbers.

Shut your mouth.   We've just gone about things the wrong way for too long.

• Harry locked and unlocked this topic
22 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Hopefully this image is sobering to fellow alumni and motivates new donors and old donors alike.

It won't motivate anybody.

Years and years of consistent winning in FB and MBB will.

Both TCU and SMU have had top 25 programs in sports people care about.

Edited by GRN-WHT
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

Hopefully it will motivate leadership on campus to tear down informational silos that have kept athletics from being able to reach out to alumni.  

I agree just knowing these numbers won't interest alumni not already interested.  Hopefully it is a wake up call to campus leadership.

4 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

This would be an interesting comparison.  

I wonder what TCU's #'s looked like around 2007, before they blew up and started beating everyone on their way to the Big 12.

• Lovely Take 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

This would be an interesting comparison.  

I wonder what TCU's #'s looked like around 2007, before they blew up and started beating everyone on their way to the Big 12.

Or SMU before their BB got good. About the only way to get into Moody is to be a donor.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I've always maintained that 2% of the UNT Family gives a rip about our sports teams...I may have been too generous in saying that.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know Wren committed to releasing these numbers, and I applaud him for being accountable to his promise, as well as showing our alumni how we stack up compared to our neighbors.  

SMU = Russia, confirmed

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

honestly just getting 2 or 3 % would be huge... need to find ways to get current students committed and outreach (and repair connections) with older alumni... No idea how you can do outreach with them but something needs to be done.

Also, they need to do outreach with previous fans as well that have had member run out... I know a # of alumni that were donors during the dickey days that aren't anymore... 

40 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

I know some alumni that wont donate 1 cent to UNT screwed their kids on scholarships, etc... Finding ways to repair these connections with alumni that have felt burned by UNT is critical. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sad, yes. I believe we were sitting at the mid-800's when RV was shown the door. I will take a +200-ish increase every year for the next 10 years. It's not ideal, but it's substantial growth to get us over 3k donors by 2026. 

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

To put this another way, for every 3800 UNT alumni that you could gather together at one time, 1 of them would care so much about athletics to donate to the AD.

If anyone ever wonders why we say that the I-AA Debacle from 1983-1994 killed this place, this is it. We lost generations of fans, both previous alumni from that time, as well as future alumni for decades ahead.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

33 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

To put this another way, for every 3800 UNT alumni that you could gather together at one time, 1 of them would care so much about athletics to donate to the AD.

If anyone ever wonders why we say that the I-AA Debacle from 1983-1994 killed this place, this is it. We lost generations of fans, both previous alumni from that time, as well as future alumni for decades ahead.

I have seen this post from you maybe more times than I have complained about recruiting. And though there may be some validity to what you are saying, but I am just not buying it. Close your eyes and imagine, UNT averaging going 7-5 to 8-4 since 1994 with outlier years going both ways...Now imagine what this place woulda, coulda, shoulda been had we been in this situation rather than the sheer amount of whippings we have endured since 1994. Our losing has far, far more affected this place than an 11-year stint down in FCS. I could argue RV hurt this place by himself more than that drop down did. We have, in many ways, dug our own graves. And worst case scenario, we lost A generation of fans. Not generation--s--. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Hopefully this image is sobering to fellow alumni and motivates new donors and old donors alike.

It could have that effect. There's a psychology to putting our numbers out there with everyone else's. Social Influence. A company did something similar with energy company customers to get their usage down. Instead of just showing their individual usage, they showed their individual usage in relation to their neighbors. It immediately brought everyone's energy usage down.

What that graphic does show is how EASY we could dominate both TCU and SMU in this regard. We have something that's physically impossible for them to have. Massive numbers.

Let's try everything...why not.

• Lovely Take 1

15 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

It could have that effect. There's a psychology to putting our numbers out there with everyone else's. Social Influence. A company did something similar with energy company customers to get their usage down. Instead of just showing their individual usage, they showed their individual usage in relation to their neighbors. It immediately brought everyone's energy usage down.

What that graphic does show is how EASY we could dominate both TCU and SMU in this regard. We have something that's physically impossible for them to have. Massive numbers.

Let's try everything...why not.

Honestly I think this will help, if anything it will show that even giving 25 bucks a month, or however much can help.. I assumed we would be near 1 or 2% but not .2%... Hopefully this will shock a some people into just sending in something....

• Upvote 1