MGC #'s out?

MeanGreenTexan

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I know some alumni that wont donate 1 cent to UNT screwed their kids on scholarships, etc... Finding ways to repair these connections with alumni that have felt burned by UNT is critical. 

Every school has that--a lot of that, whether justified or not.

I really don't think most alumni even know there is such a club.  I had season tickets back in the '90's, when you didn't have to be a member, and nobody ever said a word about the MGC to me.  I didn't know about it, or at least understand what it was, until about a decade later.  And I was a UNT football nut.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Every school has that--a lot of that, whether justified or not.

I really don't think most alumni even know there is such a club.  I had season tickets back in the '90's, when you didn't have to be a member, and nobody ever said a word about the MGC to me.  I didn't know about it, or at least understand what it was, until about a decade later.  And I was a UNT football nut.

Agreed a lot probably have no idea, and again.. When they mail out your degree when you graduate, they should put information in there...

1- How to donate to UNT, 

2-  Benefits of being an Alumni (employment help, discounts, local business that are ran by UNT alumni, etc.)

3- The recent Alumni package for season tickets and benefits of the MGC... 

and im sure they have other things that can be added but this is stuff that needs to put in a packet for all grads.. Get them ASAP once they have graduated. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I can't remember if UNT has a freshmen orientation class, but if they do make attending 1 UNT home football game a mandatory part of getting out of the class with an A. 

Pretty sure they don't but wish the AD Office could get more classes to offer extra credit just for attending games.. Yes its stupid, but if it gets a butt in the seat who give a damn if its extra 2/3/5 points on a HW or quiz

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I can't remember if UNT has a freshmen orientation class, but if they do make attending 1 UNT home football game a mandatory part of getting out of the class with an A. 

Not a class, just orientation for during a 3-day session during summer. There's also one other class that freshman who can't decide on a major must take, but that's also irrelevant from football games.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green P1 said:

Our fan base is using Wren's approach to evaluating Tony Benford before deciding on joining up.  

That's not entirely true. 

I'm not necessarily going to wait for Wren's contract to completely expire before making any decisions. 

9 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I've been a MGC member seems forever!!! Unfortunately, I didn't even check my own back yard. My older brother, "67" and a letterman to boot, isn't a member..................he will be shortly are he'll never hear the end of it.

Just another example of how North Texas has treated it's former athletes through the years. Did your brother indicate why he wasn't a MGC member? I bet you'll be surprised at the answer.

8 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

If only the band didn't wear shorts, things would be different.

Believe me. If the Band were only half as good as the Band you used to student-direct, the atmosphere would be different.

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

To put this another way, for every 3800 UNT alumni that you could gather together at one time, 1 of them would care so much about athletics to donate to the AD.

If anyone ever wonders why we say that the I-AA Debacle from 1983-1994 killed this place, this is it. We lost generations of fans, both previous alumni from that time, as well as future alumni for decades ahead.

Let me see if I can put this into perspective. When the decision was made to move North Texas down to 1-AA the MGC had only been in existence for about 10 years......at the most. Hayden Fry started the Mean Green club around 1973 shortly after he arrived. North Texas had been playing football since 1914 and 1973 was the FIRST TIME  the concept of giving to the athletic department (or the University for that matter) was presented to the alumni base and students. It was a tough sell, even for Hayden Fry, but any progress made with the MGC was set back to the beginnings back in 1973.

Mainly because when Hayden Fry left, Jitter Nolan (hired mainly because he was supposed to be a great fund raiser) was run out of town and North Texas athletics was left at the mercy of the (administrative) children/minions of Dr. Matthews.....and his predecessors.

You can blame it on the event, but the event (moving us to 1-AA) was inevitable when the culture was returned (after the aforementioned departures) to the pre-1973 era.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

To put this another way, for every 3800 UNT alumni that you could gather together at one time, 1 of them would care so much about athletics to donate to the AD.

If anyone ever wonders why we say that the I-AA Debacle from 1983-1994 killed this place, this is it. We lost generations of fans, both previous alumni from that time, as well as future alumni for decades ahead.

I'm not sure that is right. You might be surprised to find how many people, just on this board were around during those years and give to the program. Because we did win during a lot of those years.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

I'm not sure that is right. You might be surprised to find how many people, just on this board were around during those years and give to the program. Because we did win during a lot of those years.

We did win some, but the attendance at Fouts speaks for itself during that time. Yes, we got a sellout against SMU and had a good crowd against SFA when we were #1 in I-AA, but most crowds were well under 10k

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1