MGB: UNT, SMU extend football series

Brett Vito

13 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I wish that SMU would bring fans but I'm just glad the series continues.

When SMU sends their fans, they're not sending their best.  They're sending douches who have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those douche problems to us.  They're bringing drugs.  They're bringing $30k millionaires.  They're date rapists.  And some, I assume, are good fans.  

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

When SMU sends their fans, they're not sending their best.  They're sending douches who have a lot of problems, and they're bringing those douche problems to us.  They're bringing drugs.  They're bringing $30k millionaires.  They're date rapists.  And some, I assume, are good fans.  

+1

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, GTWT said:

Yes.  But SMU is close.  It has name recognition.  The game is winnable.  Plus I abhor the snotty jerks.  SMU tops my list of non-conference games.

Name recognition to folks who saw the pony express happen (ie, winning), and people who live in DFW.

SMU's "prominence" quickly fades outside of DFW (as someone who grew up elsewhere).

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun series for locals and I get revved up watching it, but if we're talking about name recognition, there are better mid majors out there.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Name recognition to folks who saw the pony express happen (ie, winning), and people who live in DFW.

SMU's "prominence" quickly fades outside of DFW (as someone who grew up elsewhere).

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun series for locals and I get revved up watching it, but if we're talking about name recognition, there are better mid majors out there.

I think we need to win over DFW before we worry about elsewhere. Even if we only win over NT alumni in DFW we can fill our stadium 7 times over.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Huh?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

4 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I think we need to win over DFW before we worry about elsewhere. Even if we only win over NT alumni in DFW we can fill our stadium 7 times over.

That's definitely true, but if we beat someone like Memphis (which I like in our future schedule for us) at home, that seems like a more impactful than a win over a 1-, 2-, 5-win team over the past 3 seasons. (For reference, Memphis went 10, 9, and 8 wins in that span).

4 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Other than Boise and UH, who are you referring to?

Memphis (already scheduled), USF, SDSU, Tulsa (heh heh), Temple to name a few.

My major malfunction isn't that we are scheduling SMU. It's that it's such a long series, in combo with Army, prohibiting us from scheduling a more diverse array of opponents.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Memphis (already scheduled), USF, SDSU, Tulsa (heh heh), Temple to name a few.

My major malfunction isn't that we are scheduling SMU. It's that it's such a long series, in combo with Army, prohibiting us from scheduling a more diverse array of opponents.

I get what you are saying but none of the teams listed would put more butts is in Apogee than Army and SMU. Now I'm all for scheduling the teams you listed, especially Tulsa, over Incarnate Word and the like. I'm not sure any of the teams you listed are more recognized than SMU though. Maybe as recognized but not more recognized. Don't forget SMU has been in the news more recently than pony excess. June Jones quitting, Larry Brown controversy, Chad Morris being wooed by Baylor, etc. Also, they still play TCU annually.

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I get what you are saying but none of the teams listed would put more butts is in Apogee than Army and SMU. Now I'm all for scheduling the teams you listed, especially Tulsa, over Incarnate Word and the like. I'm not sure any of the teams you listed are more recognized than SMU though. Maybe as recognized but not more recognized. Don't forget SMU has been in the news more recently than pony excess. June Jones quitting, Larry Brown controversy, Chad Morris being wooed by Baylor, etc. Also, they still play TCU annually.

Especially here in the Metroplex.   Maybe on a National scale, sure...  but here in DFW, no.

• Upvote 2

One of the few things I think RV got criticized for that I don't think was warranted was his scheduling of Army and SMU.  They are exactly the kind of programs, NT currently needs on its schedule.   NT has not shown they can consistently beat either one, but both should be winnable games.   SMU and TCU are the best opponents NT could possibly have in terms of local access.  Army is a national name that will always draw some interest.

Those wanting to upgrade the schedule for higher level competition, are way ahead of the program.    

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

One of the few things I think RV got criticized for that I don't think was warranted was his scheduling of Army and SMU.  They are exactly the kind of programs, NT currently needs on its schedule.   NT has not shown they can consistently beat either one, but both should be winnable games.   SMU and TCU are the best opponents NT could possibly have in terms of local access.  Army is a national name that will always draw some interest.

Those wanting to upgrade the schedule for higher level competition, are way ahead of the program.    

Could not agree more. 

• Upvote 2

As it turns out, the smoo series was not scheduled for 10 years and it did not handcuff us from future schedule flexibility.  It was a simply a 4 game series with additional language about good faith negotiations to extend.  It appears both sides have looked at the landscape and determined that the series is mutually beneficial and decided to extend another 4 games.  

I look forward to the next 4 games.

• Upvote 3

On 2/28/2017 at 8:10 AM, Cerebus said:

Some people would get banned for a subliminal post like this.

• Upvote 3