MGB: Friday recruiting update

Brett Vito

future is not looking good according to my eight ball. I so surprised how many kids don't come to denton.  Denton is a college town, a lot of fun and with effort a great place to get an education.  I think the campus could even be better with an upgraded to the landscaping.  TWU does a lot better job with landscaping and landscape maintenance than UNT.  I know I will get the -1 on this one but UNT could be a spectacular campus with a little work and teaching the students how us sidewalks.  Maybe during orientation they can give a presentation on the use of a sidewalk.  When I first came to NTSU I thought wow look at all the green and trees.  Then they started tearing up the campus and put the prison yard lights up all around the campus and filled the fountain out front of willis with rocks because the hippies were taking baths in the fountain (what i heard anyway). Just saying even as student I noticed my surroundings.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Again, the product could always be better; but NT is not losing recruits to nearly everybody because of the school, Denton, or facilities.   Back to old person talk, Fry used to said that he could sign any player he could get on campus.  Believe me, it was not because the facilities were great, Denton was nowhere close to the town it is now and the campus left a lot to be desired; it was because he had a couple of days to sell that recruit.  

6 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

You think Fry was buying a lot of recruits away from the SWC?  Also you are very naive if you don't think that is still going on.  

I agree.  Sometimes I think Saben brings in NFL castoffs to play for him in Tuscaloosa.  His players are all big, fast, and strong.

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, the product could always be better; but NT is not losing recruits to nearly everybody because of the school, Denton, or facilities.   Back to old person talk, Fry used to said that he could sign any player he could get on campus.  Believe me, it was not because the facilities were great, Denton was nowhere close to the town it is now and the campus left a lot to be desired; it was because he had a couple of days to sell that recruit.  

I don't think there a a single reason for our issues in recruiting. I think it is a combination of things. The perception of North Texas football over the last decade hasn't helped.

-Most of these recruits we around 4 years old when we went to the 2004 New Orleans Bowl. Aside from the 2013 HOD and this past season's HOD, all they know is the other 10 seasons. That can't be good for our recruiting.

-Our facilities are nice, but other programs have some things we don't. That probably factors into some recruits not signing with us too.

-Scheduling is also an issue. Wren did a great job of signing Tech to a home and home. That is a great start. To be honest, I think he will be working to adjust and improve the OOC schedule for the next few seasons.

- Our media deal stinks. Players want to be on TV.

Some of these things are out of our control. We can't change the past. The Dodge and Mac losses will always be there. The C-USA media deal will remain crappy. We don't appear to have the funds to build an indoor practice facility.

We need to focus on what we do have, and develop a plan to take advantage of those assets. North Texas has a large alumni base, and we are the only public university in a region with over 8 million people that covers more then 42 thousand square miles. That means North Texas represents a larger population and a larger area then many states. I think we need to focus on signing more home and home series with P5 programs, and commit more funds to promoting North Texas throughout our region. We try to get the attention of DFW, but seem to forget Wichita Falls and Sherman are also within our territory. Both of those communities have TV stations that broadcast out around 50 miles from their locations. They need news too. Plus, both are within an hour and a half drive of Denton. We need to do more to target those communities.

I believe this would have a positive impact on recruiting, attendance, and our perception within the North Texas region.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

I agree.  Sometimes I think Saben brings in NFL castoffs to play for him in Tuscaloosa.  His players are all big, fast, and strong.

Nah? Those are NFL hopefuls. Saban has dominated recruiting for the most part and the wins have followed.

Edited by Army of Dad

On 1/28/2017 at 4:33 PM, southsideguy said:

future is not looking good according to my eight ball. I so surprised how many kids don't come to denton.  Denton is a college town, a lot of fun and with effort a great place to get an education.  I think the campus could even be better with an upgraded to the landscaping.  TWU does a lot better job with landscaping and landscape maintenance than UNT.  I know I will get the -1 on this one but UNT could be a spectacular campus with a little work and teaching the students how us sidewalks.  Maybe during orientation they can give a presentation on the use of a sidewalk.  When I first came to NTSU I thought wow look at all the green and trees.  Then they started tearing up the campus and put the prison yard lights up all around the campus and filled the fountain out front of willis with rocks because the hippies were taking baths in the fountain (what i heard anyway). Just saying even as student I noticed my surroundings.

Have you visited campus lately?

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2017 at 5:12 PM, Wag Tag said:

I believe our biggest hurdle has been relationship building with high schools and coaches. This takes time to cultivate. I also would like to top notch social media marketing! GMG 

*Director of HS relations*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, NT96 said:

I hear from within the athletic department that there are some surprises coming on Wednesday. Also some surprises coming regarding facilities. No details because of NCAA infractions, but I've known the person for a long time and trust what he says.

Man do I ever hope and pray you are right.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

On 1/28/2017 at 8:33 AM, southsideguy said:

Have you to been to TWU recently?

3 hours ago, NT96 said:

I hear from within the athletic department that there are some surprises coming on Wednesday. Also some surprises coming regarding facilities. No details because of NCAA infractions, but I've known the person for a long time and trust what he says.

I'm happy to hear it. Hopefully, the surprise recruits work out as well as all our other past stealth recruits. And any new facilities are as effective as Apogee and the athletics center have been in rocketing us to the top of the recruiting game.