Littrell and Co.

Dr. Seuss

Part of our situation is that we will have to visit this after (or during) every successful season...that includes Wren and all of his henchman too.  We all know this, but if he does the great job we all expect he will do here, it won't be long before a really good offer comes to him.  We need to get really good at expecting that and reloading a la Houston, Ark State.  Houston, a serious candidate for the big 12 up until a few weeks ago, is still just a lily pad.  We have to learn how to be good at being a Lilly pad.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Part of our situation is that we will have to visit this after (or during) every successful season...that includes Wren and all of his henchman too.  We all know this, but if he does the great job we all expect he will do here, it won't be long before a really good offer comes to him.  We need to get really good at expecting that and reloading a la Houston, Ark State.  Houston, a serious candidate for the big 12 up until a few weeks ago, is still just a lily pad.  We have to learn how to be good at being a Lilly pad.  

Very true. Although I think as long as we can raise his pay he isn't going to leave to go coach Purdue or Iowa State or the like. I think he would wait for a good job. 

• Upvote 1

I think SL has had a great year, and hope for more. I believe SL still thinks their is work ahead here. He has been a head coach for less than a year, is being treated well here and has the opportunity to grow in a relatively "safe" place. That said, when he is hired away, I have confidence in those who will hire the next guy.

GMG

2 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Odds Littrell gets hired somewhere else? Will we have to cough up more money like UH did, obviously not to that extent but if/when he gets 6 wins, someone will take a good look and Wren better have that checkbook ready

This year? No chance. We've improved, but have not set the world on fire.

In the next few years, I can only hope! For a G5 school, the best case scenario is to be a breeding and training ground for great P5 coaches of the future, like Houston has turned into. If we can get to that point, we will be in a great place.

• Upvote 3

With a limited view on the situation I would say if Littrell moves on we promote Eckler to HC.  This job requires tons of energy and a good recruiter.  He obviously has the energy and appears to be our best recruiter.  What I don’t think we should do is double Littrel’s salary based on one season.  

4 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Odds Littrell gets hired somewhere else? Will we have to cough up more money like UH did, obviously not to that extent but if/when he gets 6 wins, someone will take a good look and Wren better have that checkbook ready

Nope, way to early. Is he a good recruiter? Look at his team stats in CUSA! Bump the pay of the DC this year. They have done a good job their contracts are year to year. Keep Ek!!

• Upvote 1

Yes, throwing money and new contract at McCarney worked well. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Littrell is a much better hire than McCarney, but he is on the first year of his contract.   Message board fans love to spend money that is not theirs.  If the right team comes calling, it is doubtful NT can do anything to keep Littrell.   

McCarney could not recruit and it was obvious by the second year.    Yet, based on one good year; RV made maybe his biggest mistake and that is saying a lot by giving him a new five year contract.    

Lets wait till Littrell ties a couple of good years together and demonstrates that this staff can recruit before NT offers a new contract.  I really doubt NT is going to lose him in that period to a team that NT has any hope of countering their offer.     

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Its a "what have you done for me lately" job, turning a program from a 1-11 season with 64(ish) scholarship players to a possible winning season in one year.  Others will take a look, just like what we did with him.  If he gets an interview, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the top of the list. 

Everyone thought that we were 3 seasons out from having a winning season and he possible might be doing it in one.  That's nothing to take lightly... Gus Malzahn was at Ark. State for one season before he left for Auburn, that was also his first head coaching job in college. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Oh, and Hugh Freeze was a one year head coach at Ark. State too...

17 minutes ago, Dr. Seuss said:

Its a "what have you done for me lately" job, turning a program from a 1-11 season with 64(ish) scholarship players to a possible winning season in one year.  Others will take a look, just like what we did with him.  If he gets an interview, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to the top of the list. 

Everyone thought that we were 3 seasons out from having a winning season and he possible might be doing it in one.  That's nothing to take lightly... Gus Malzahn was at Ark. State for one season before he left for Auburn, that was also his first head coaching job in college. 

Freeze went 10-2 after a 4-8 team and didn't coach the bowl game. 6 win turnaround. Malzan took over the next year and went 9-3. Neither coached the bowl game (Ark State won both bowls). 

SL has done a great job and at best would be a 6 game turn this year with a bowl win. I just don't think 7 wins including the bowl are enough to move with. 

Actually Ark State lost the godaddy.com bowl vs NIU in 2011.

I know a lot of people here don't see it happening but I was the only person who brought up Frank Wilson as a HC and no one knew who he was.  Maybe I might have been right like a clock is right twice, but just don't be surprised.

• Downvote 2

This is a scope error.

Sure, WE Mean Green fans know we were terrible last year, and know getting this team even to the five wins we have now is a huge feat... but who else is that going to excite?  One five or six win year?

Think about it this way.  The ODU team was picked to finish last and is going to finish 9-2 in their first year in CUSA.  Any of you even thinking about the ODU coach at all?  No?  Why?  Because he isn't in your scope, but SL is.

SL keeps winning and we will have an issue.  Hiring him right now isn't going to excite any fanbase, which is a big part of what an AD looks for when he hires.  

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

This is a scope error.

Sure, WE Mean Green fans know we were terrible last year, and know getting this team even to the five wins we have now is a huge feat... but who else is that going to excite?  One five or six win year?

Think about it this way.  The ODU team was picked to finish last and is going to finish 9-2 in their first year in CUSA.  Any of you even thinking about the ODU coach at all?  No?  Why?  Because he isn't in your scope, but SL is.

SL keeps winning and we will have an issue.  Hiring him right now isn't going to excite any fanbase, which is a big part of what an AD looks for when he hires.  

Ole Miss wasnt excited when they brought Freeze in and what did he do..... Well, brought in a top 5 recruiting class multiple years in a row.   

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7319777/hugh-freeze-mississippi-rebels-emotional-accepting-coaching-job

2 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

So, the sky is falling after either a 6-6 season or 5-7 season. Come on people. get a grip. He isn't going anywhere after this season.

No, this is exactly what UNT wants.  If UNT is getting their coaches poached by other schools, that means we're hiring the right people, which is good.

And this is exactly what @tmjerm was saying about us being a really good lilly pad

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

Also, this year's coaching pool feels a lot smaller than normal so guys might be getting bigger opportunities a little more prematurely than usual (e.g. Chad Morris). 

Guy can't win in the AAC...and Baylor thinks he'll do well in the Big 12?  Guess they haven't seen (acknowledged) the AAC coach to Big 12 experiment down the road at UT.

"Bigger" schools will be coming for Littrell, as surmised just a few days ago, sooner rather than later.  Tulsa is a huge possibility if/when Philip Montgomery is hired away.  Dark horses for Littrell would be Houston, Texas Tech, Arizona...he's been at two of the three as an assistant.  Could see Kansas making a play if they fire Beaty.  Although, I think the Texas "upset" bought Beaty another year...to go 1-11 or 2-10 again.

giphy.gif

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 1