This AD Truly Gets It

MGNation92

8 minutes ago, shaft said:

1. Uniform talk should be reserved for off season.

2. No they don't. 

Actually no times have changed and they sure do make a difference.  Whether you're in denial or not that's completely up to you and that's perfectly fine.  Uniforms can be a great tool you can use for recruiting and fans and outsiders do enjoy various combinations and looks.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

1. Constantly churning in new ideas is a great thing, even if they're not immediately used.
2. Oh, they do. Even if it's not the most important thing, the uniforms play a role in the perception of a football program, especially when the difference between programs is marginal. Basically, if you can eke out an advantage over a competitor, you take that advantage.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, shaft said:

2. No they don't. 

3 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

Actually no times have changed and they sure do make a difference.  Whether you're in denial or not that's completely up to you and that's perfectly fine.  Uniforms can be a great tool you can use for recruiting and fans and outsiders do enjoy various combinations and looks.

In a sense, you're both right. For those of us who are die hard fans, uniforms are extraneous chitchat on various levels of whether it was cool or worth the expense, but doesn't really matter in terms of our overall commitment.

We do have to keep in mind that recruits and random members of the public thus far unaffiliated with us do care about that, though. And we're trying to bring them in, so every little detail helps, and this is one we've been missing out on.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, JesseMartin said:

In a sense, you're both right. For those of us who are die hard fans, uniforms are extraneous chitchat on various levels of whether it was cool or worth the expense, but doesn't really matter in terms of our overall commitment.

We do have to keep in mind that recruits and random members of the public thus far unaffiliated with us do care about that, though. And we're trying to bring them in, so every little detail helps, and this is one we've been missing out on.

I'm not saying there aren't any old school people or traditionalists out there but we've seen over the past 5-10 years how uniforms and it's various combinations have meant something to practically all the team sports but especially the college game.  It is what it is...nothing wrong with it and for me personally I find it great and refreshing especially after having to deal with RV's stance on boring unis/helmets for most of his tenure here etc.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Yes, this AD gets it.  He understands the importance of making every supporter he comes across feel special, whether crossing paths physically or electronically. 

Underrated ability if you ask me. It builds support for the AD... goodwill goes a long way!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

If you want to improve the consumer's awareness of your brand you have to be consistent in the logos you use, the logos have to be recognizable, and you need consistency in color. It is in a school's best interest in building their brand to be consistent. It is in Nike's interest (and now Under Armor and Adidas and Russell) for you to mix up the logos and colors so people who are already fans of the brand will buy additional merchandise.

BINGO.  Consistency goes hand in hand with identity

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I can see both sides of the argument... I do not advocate for wild uniforms... just expanding the brand and refreshing the look we wear. I like the SOW but think that the interlocking NT should be added to our AD branding effort. I want those to become consistent. The look we are wearing now is embarrassingly bad. the uniforms look tacky and poorly thought out. I would like to see us in something that is refreshing and holds true to the university as a whole and keep it as such. Helmet colors and specific touch ups and additions for special occasions are welcome in my book, so long as we do not keep changing logos/colors once a decade like it seems we have for the past 60-70 years. Stick with SOW and NT, and Kelly green, and we can really start to build this thing. 

Bottom line for me is that we need a different, more well thought out "look" as soon as possible. Something that allows us to mix things up without losing the desired effect. We are not an Alabama or UT that is stuck in their specific look because of their tradition. We ought to have more flexibility. Flexibility can be a strength if applied judiciously. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

I can see both sides of the argument... I do not advocate for wild uniforms... just expanding the brand and refreshing the look we wear. I like the SOW but think that the interlocking NT should be added to our AD branding effort. I want those to become consistent. The look we are wearing now is embarrassingly bad. the uniforms look tacky and poorly thought out. I would like to see us in something that is refreshing and holds true to the university as a whole and keep it as such. Helmet colors and specific touch ups and additions for special occasions are welcome in my book, so long as we do not keep changing logos/colors once a decade like it seems we have for the past 60-70 years. Stick with SOW and NT, and Kelly green, and we can really start to build this thing. 

Bottom line for me is that we need a different, more well thought out "look" as soon as possible. Something that allows us to mix things up without losing the desired effect. We are not an Alabama or UT that is stuck in their specific look because of their tradition. We ought to have more flexibility. Flexibility can be a strength if applied judiciously. 

I like where your head is at.  Just throw flying worm in there every now and then too!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, shaft said:

2. No they don't. 

I don't understand how that post deserves -26 negations.  I don't care if they're wearing t-shirts & speedos as long as they win.  Well...., okay I don't really want to see a bunch of 300 hundred pound guys in speedos but you know what I mean.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

20 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Yes, this AD gets it.  He understands the importance of making every supporter he comes across feel special, whether crossing paths physically or electronically. 

21 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

The reason I believe Wren will be a successful AD and be one of the best AD in the country when all said and done. is because he LISTENS and that is a quality very rare in this day an age 

This is the best comments in this thread, and very true.

Branding  by uniform is a none issue as long as they get our name right and we win. Winning in football is the best brand recognition and maybe the only one that counts.