MGB: UNT has request for proposal out for indoor practice facility

Brett Vito

I thought there were intramural fields between the outdoor practice fields and the tennis facility.  Seems to me that this would be the logical location.  There, or move the DD practice fields to were the intramural fields are now and build the IPF where the DD practice fields spot.  

The old master plan had the track facility located south of tennis and baseball adjacent to softball, but as someone mentioned above, the new administration may have better ideas for how this all plays out.

What are the rules on the funds tied to the stadium?  If the IPF is attached to the stadium in some way can it be considered a remodel and therefore be able to use a refinance of the existing note to cover the remodel?  If so, it could cut through a lot of red tape in getting a new bond approved.  Not sure what the rules are.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

This would be huge.  It really would elevate us to another level in terms of recruiting.

This is greatness! Would like to see the same thing for basketball as far as facility upgrades. Do they need new locker rooms, practice facility, or work out rooms?

It is awesome these steps were laid out by the consultants then add baseball! GMG

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought there were intramural fields between the outdoor practice fields and the tennis facility.  Seems to me that this would be the logical location.  There, or move the DD practice fields to were the intramural fields are now and build the IPF where the DD practice fields spot.  

The old master plan had the track facility located south of tennis and baseball adjacent to softball, but as someone mentioned above, the new administration may have better ideas for how this all plays out.

I would think that the IPF would go on or near the existing practice field, and potentially expand or move those closer to the road in order to keep 1 - 2 outdoor grass practice fields along with the field turf IPF field.

• Upvote 2

It seems to me that 15-25 mil is a lot for a practice facility.  Apogee cost $78 mil and even if that was a great deal, the notion of the IPF costing up to 1/3 as much just seems out of kilter.  And another thing......Couldn't we get a baseball program up and going for less than 25 mil ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

11 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

th?&id=OIP.M7f078b700a5e08b83e37d50d1fdb9546o0&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

I disagree.

I'm not seeing it either.

The way it is now, it looks like an itty-bitty logo on a great big helmet.  It's certainly better than the "North Texas" script, but they need to enlarge the logo.

And, sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Edited by kj86
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenjoe said:

It seems to me that 15-25 mil is a lot for a practice facility.  Apogee cost $78 mil and even if that was a great deal, the notion of the IPF costing up to 1/3 as much just seems out of kilter.  And another thing......Couldn't we get a baseball program up and going for less than 25 mil ? 

The playing surface itself will cost a couple million. You could build a shack of a facility for under 10 million but don't complain when it looks bad.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

Not a popular opinion but still not sure why we need this.

Well, there are rules for practicing in heat and how much time can go by without a break.  Indoor facility negates that, thunderstorm/lightning issues are gone.  Does this mean you never practice outside? Absolutely not, but as a HS coach who's indoor isn't regulation width and only 45 yards long I can tell you I sure wish we had a full size field even if it was only 50 yards it would help.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, mgfan said:

I believe it is more than that. It is supoose to be done by June 2017. 

I wish it was, but reading through the document it definitely does not include construction.  In fact, it doesn't include a detailed design.

the completion June 2017 is specifically for the "Program" and the master plan revision.  Program is fund raising, diagrams, etc. nothing more.

• Upvote 1