DRC: breaking - Consultants report critical of UNT

Brett Vito

43 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

I agree that we could probably be competitive in baseball in relatively short order but it is evident that we have A LOT of money that needs to be dedicated elsewhere first. Wren is drinking from a fire-hose right now

There is no doubt that there is PLENTY of blame to go around but the lions share of blame lies squarely at the feet of RV(and his staff). I guess I am still in shock that it is THIS bad. 

RV was simply a hustler. If everyone doesn't change the way they approach this program, another hustler could easily take over where RV left off. 

Demand results. Don't worship people for what you think they may do. Don't take what they say at face value. Verify. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Winning cures cancer, that can especially be so at an urban university approaching 40,000 students with about 250,000 North Texas Exes in the northern part of the Lone Star State.  We (still) do have so many advantages others don't.  We are hardly some backwater school where wildlife outnumbers our people population. 

Just win annually & lets see all the pieces to our puzzle fall in place.  Winning has been missing for so long in Denton.   We sometimes remind me of the programs that Hayden Fry & Bill Snyder took over of which both Iowa & Kansas State had decades of losing seasons that made North Texas all but look like perennial winners.

Just like many of you, I'm feeling good about our future with our new staff--both administrative & coaching.   We can't undo the past but we all can affect the future. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

If they wouldn't return phone calls for OOC scheduling it makes you wonder if they even tried to have any input with conference scheduling...

I think we all know the answer. If you talked to people inside the college athletic world, the lack of respect for the last AD was palpable. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

One way this can be accomplished is by having a yearly audit by an outside organization.  Obviously there has been no auditing in the past but it would help ensure that the financial side is kept in check.

Are you talking about an accounting audit or a complete (organizational?) audit of the department similar to what Kuehne and Sicuro did?

10 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

So you're saying we should let go of @UNT90?  

I have never been an AD employee. I'm much too busy at my job to worry about what my co-workers are up to.

23 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

Glad you're back, you old goat. I would say on this point, give it a little time. If these said employees were truly part of the problem, they will certainly show their true colors to their new bosses or they will change and get their shit together.

They already have three new bosses above them. I think a message has been sent. If all three of those bosses are as aggressive as we hope they are, they will be looking to cut dead weight. But, it takes time. 

Please take this next comment knowing that I know I am no where near perfect and probably closer to the sorry end of the spectrum. But, I have taken over two struggling companies in my career and never came in with the hatchet swinging. I slowly brought in my team and after time was able to evaluate who was pulling their weight and who wasn't. I wanted to learn how the company functioned and which roles were important and which were not.

When I started at both companies, I had lots of people telling me which of their co-workers should get fired. I sat back and watched. Usually the guy that was clamoring for his fellow employees demise was actually the one that needed to go. If I would have been reactionary, I would have lost some of the best employees I have now.

So, in time I began pulling weeds and building my team. I moved some folks to other positions they were more suited for, I eliminated positions that were not necessary, and watched others get frustrated and leave on their own. 

All of this to say exactly what I said in the beginning: it takes time. Taking the time to make a decision that you can sleep with at night is definitely worth it.

That's a very smart way to approach the problem. I know from experiencing immediate change under new leadership that sometimes it's bad change. Smart leaders take the time and evaluate. 

Like I sad before, bad habits are hard to break, and the lazy employees will out themselves soon enough. As long as none of the new upper management is blind to the ass kissing do nothing employee, they should be able to deal with this issue in the proper way and time frame. 

That said, it we don't see at least some movement within the next year, it's a concern that Baker is losing the culture battle inside the AD.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

Are you talking about an accounting audit or a complete (organizational?) audit of the department similar to what Kuehne and Sicuro did?

Accounting.  That should be standard operating procedure each year.  An organizational audit like what was just done should probably be done once every few years or so. 

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

2 - Holy crap on the scheduling stuff.  Not calling P5 schools back that wanted home and homes?!  This report feels like one side of the story.  I sure hope there is a good reason for this.  Was the home and home denied b/c they wanted to play in Dallas/Arlington?  We need more information here.  

I thought the report stated that these schools wanted to come to Denton. I think his fear was that there would be too many fans from the opposition. God forbid we have a fun festive game atmosphere and make more money in ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc...

SMDH

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

So I'm still unclear.  What exactly is it that hustlers be doing? 

Hustlers always be hustlin'. 

Always. 

Also, I really hope this is followed up with an accounting audit. No telling how much cash disappeared off the books (if books were even kept) under the last AD. 

Just mind numbingly unbelievable. 

36 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Wow! Just read the article. If our university leadership can get even half of these things fixed or implemented within the next 5 years, we will be moving up the college football food chain.

You really need to read the whole report when you get time, Joe. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

2 - Holy crap on the scheduling stuff.  Not calling P5 schools back that wanted home and homes?!  This report feels like one side of the story.  I sure hope there is a good reason for this.  Was the home and home denied b/c they wanted to play in Dallas/Arlington?  We need more information here.  

I don't know why anyone is surprised by this. RV said in a podcast with Harry last season that he preferred the whore money for playing a road game than playing P5s in Apogee. Said clear as day he had zero plans to schedule a P5. 

He was a lazy, terrible AD that we let hang around for 15 years because we (the fans) really didn't care that much about winning.

Hopefully that will change. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

2 things that I bought hook line and sinker.

1 - Our budget numbers that we were reporting were a sham.  It appeared that we had stepped up to the table (finally) when you looked at any national reports comparing athletic budgets.  Ours was trumped up because of the way we structured the debt on the stadium.  I mean, I guess I should have thought of that.  Financials are always a bunch of BS trickery anyway.

This is puzzling. Not saying I don't believe it, but it makes 0 sense for the athletic department to do. And that within and of itself makes it completely believable. As early as April...WOW. Just. Wow. 

31 minutes ago, wardly said:

The following is a public service announcement.The expectations I have as a donor are mine,bought and paid for, and do not have to align with those of UNT90 or anyone else.Just saying......

They sure don't, but I'll keep trying to raise your expectations every chance I get. 

Just sayin'...

And it sucks to find out someone you know personally isn't the person you thought they were. I absolutely get that. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, SSP said:

Please No.

Believe it or not... Mike is one out of a handful of dudes I actually really like on this board after meeting him personally.  Lol

we have liked him since NOLA.

A) They let him roam free in NOLA?  

B)  Come find me at the next game.  I'll balance out that "Dudes you like" column

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Green P1 said:

I'm too lazy to read the whole thing. Did they mention slashing our sweater vest budget?

Yes the report stated we were 1231% above the conference average for sweater vest allocation, while noting that three of our conference mates have placed rules against anyone associated with their AD to even wear sweater vests as a representative of their universities. 

I wonder if RV will even show his face in Denton now, this report has so many implications between the lines it is not funny. If the report itself was not bad enough. A financial audit could really be bad for some if these implications are true. 

I just finished the whole report with some rereads, worse than I ever thought at many points but proves everything I was hearing and my gut instincts were correct and then some.

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

@KingDL1 after reading about the maintenance issues, it explains the calf-high grass we encountered at our tailgate spot on opening day. Lol. 

Yeah Holy Cow. Well at least the we fertilized and managed to get the fire ants out of our area

This report proves up so much and beyond, it should infuriate any fan, coach, parent, player that has passed through here under RV's watch. 

The fanbase really needs to learn from this report, and not forget this. This might be  the tip of the iceberg if they go through a financial audit it sounds like there may be some even bigger issues with the past AD. 

That said I do really like where the direction we seem to be heading as long as we always expect excellence without excuse as a fan base and University.