Draft Anyone?

Mike Jackson

5 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I get what you're saying, but I think general perception and history shows that it's generally unwise to open up the bank for a high workload RB pushing 30 - who, in Demarco's case, has only played a full 16 game season once in his career and only run for 1,000 yards twice. I agree, it does feel like a slight change in philosophy (Jerry strongly insinuated "anyone can run behind this line," and McFadden careered last year, and while you can't count on that again I like the Al Morris signing - FAU!), but I'd much rather give the money (which will be significantly less than Murray got) to a 20 year old stud with his best years ahead of him. 

See,....I also don't understand the "he's 20...not 28" issue.  If age was ever a concern with any of the Cowboy brain trust they wouldn't be telling folks they think the 37 year old QB has 5 years left in him.  

So now we're led to believe there's suddenly more concern for a then 26 year old back over a today's 37 year old QB with a bad back and collarbone.  Makes zero sense to me.

Rick

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

UNT needs to start by getting a player drafted in any round. Zach Orr would have been a mid round pick if he played anywhere besides UNT. That's how bad the perception problem is.

Thanks RV.

You say some smart things this is not one of them.Guys like Dane Bruglar, who do their homework, probably even more so than some teams had Orr as a FA. If Orr had some better measurables maybe a late round pick. The problem was scouts didnt know where to play him. He wasnt big enough to be an ILB and wasnt fast enough to be an OLB. So at best scouts viewed him as a late round pick to enhance special teams. 

I dont support RV, but he had nothing to do with Orr not being drafted. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

See,....I also don't understand the "he's 20...not 28" issue.  If age was ever a concern with any of the Cowboy brain trust they wouldn't be telling folks they think the 37 year old QB has 5 years left in him.  

So now we're led to believe there's suddenly more concern for a then 26 year old back over a today's 37 year old QB with a bad back and collarbone.  Makes zero sense to me.

Rick

Sure, but generally speaking (with of course a few outliers) RB's fall off pretty drastically in production at and around 30 (you have to consider how far out Murray's contract would have gone) and QBs routinely play much much later and take far fewer hits. Also, in today's NFL, RB's are generally seen as replaceable commodities that spend much of their time platooning, so their value has plummeted. Look at salaries since the mid 90's, and you'll find one position where they've essentially plateaued or gone down while everyone around them makes more and more... that's the biggest issue with this pick to me... the fear is that at #4, Ezekiel Elliott better be a hell of a lot better than Murray - 2 career 1,000 yard seasons would be a huge bust for a top 5 pick. (that said, i do expect and hope for a bounce back year for DMM - not 2014 good, but maybe 1100-1200) 

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Tony is 36 and didn't play his first 4 years, so it is feasible he could play to 40 behind this line if his collarbone and back hold up (his back seems to be 100% or close to it).

QBs play to their late 30s. Even the best RBs don't usually make it to their 30s in their careers, especially not after carrying the ball almost 400 times in a year. That's just too much of a beating.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Y'all see the ridiculous response by Leremy Tunsil's agent in regards to his client's gas mask smoking video?  

LOL!!!!

Rick

Sounds like the agent still smokes.

15 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Meanwhile our top defender just got drafted in the 1st round, which is the 2nd time in the last 4 years that has happened.

You have success recruiting and developing more likely to have draft picks. Success next year with his own recruits and he will be gone or $5m to keep him.

30 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Y'all see the ridiculous response by Leremy Tunsil's agent in regards to his client's gas mask smoking video?  

LOL!!!!

Rick

My car has a leaky muffler!

4 hours ago, drex said:

Sadly, the precedent has been set by the NFL that you can wait and get a North Texas player on the cheap.

That's a new UNT slogan and a few billboards away from being the next promotion of our fine university's leadership...

UNT Football....Accepting Less for Thousands Less!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Yes,..he was the 2014 rushing champ.  No idea wtf point your making?

Rick

He has done nothing since he left! in fact he had sucked! This last season with Mc we had the 4th leading rusher in the NFL. I would think that proves the line deserves a lot of the credit. This kid will be lights out! WTFFfff???

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

He has done nothing since he left! in fact he had sucked! This last season with Mc we had the 4th leading rusher in the NFL. I would think that proves the line deserves a lot of the credit. This kid will be lights out! WTFFfff???

You seem to be arguing with yourself?  I said nothing  about last year nor discredited the O line.  But if we're going to give them most of the credit then your making Jone's original arguement for him.."Any back can run behind this line".  And if that's true...why take one in the 1st round?  

Murray still rushed for over 700 yards.  Nothing to sneeze at nor an indication that he wouldn't have had another 1.000-1500 had he stayed in Dallas.  

My point still remains...Cowboys didn't address their immediate need.

...and if dealing with an injury prone linebacker in Sean Lee hasn't been enough,...Dallas blows their 2nd pick on a LB who won't even play this year...Awesome!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

22 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Soon...the Cowboys didn't want to pay a 2000 yard rushing champion,....then decide 24 months later to pay a rookie.  BRILLIANT!

Rick

But then the Titans acquire said champ and STILL feel the need to use a 2nd round pick on Henry from Alabama?  

The Cowboys Sean Alexander'd DeMarcco in 14 and you just can't pay a back after you kill them.  Broken down McFadden proved their idea that anyone can run behind that line, but also proved that you need a really good back to take over and dominate the pace of a game behind that line. 

I will give you the signing of Alfered Morris now looks ridiculous, but you don't pass on the final piece of your drafting "the best run line in football" puzzle when it's staring you in the face.  

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

You seem to be arguing with yourself?  I said nothing  about last year nor discredited the O line.  But if we're going to give them most of the credit then your making Jone's original arguement for him.."Any back can run behind this line".  And if that's true...why take one in the 1st round?  

Murray still rushed for over 700 yards.  Nothing to sneeze at nor an indication that he wouldn't have had another 1.000-1500 had he stayed in Dallas.  

My point still remains...Cowboys didn't address their immediate need.

...and if dealing with an injury prone linebacker in Sean Lee hasn't been enough,...Dallas blows their 2nd pick on a LB who won't even play this year...Awesome!

Rick

I will support firing the Cowboys AD!

1 hour ago, Green P1 said:

But then the Titans acquire said champ and STILL feel the need to use a 2nd round pick on Henry from Alabama?  

The Cowboys Sean Alexander'd DeMarcco in 14 and you just can't pay a back after you kill them.  Broken down McFadden proved their idea that anyone can run behind that line, but also proved that you need a really good back to take over and dominate the pace of a game behind that line. 

I will give you the signing of Alfered Morris now looks ridiculous, but you don't pass on the final piece of your drafting "the best run line in football" puzzle when it's staring you in the face.  

Well,...the Titans and Cowboys,..thinking alike doesn't surprise me at all.

Maybe we should draft a punter next.  It would make about as much sense.

Rick

• Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

You say some smart things this is not one of them.Guys like Dane Bruglar, who do their homework, probably even more so than some teams had Orr as a FA. If Orr had some better measurables maybe a late round pick. The problem was scouts didnt know where to play him. He wasnt big enough to be an ILB and wasnt fast enough to be an OLB. So at best scouts viewed him as a late round pick to enhance special teams. 

I dont support RV, but he had nothing to do with Orr not being drafted. 

The reputation of UNT football absolutely had something to do with both Orr and Dunbar not being drafted. 

Do you honestly think a draft expert is going to write that he rates a player lower because of where he attended college? 

Guess who also doesn't have great measurables and are tweeners? Just about every draft pick in the 5th-7th round. 

There is a stigma attached to UNT. Hopefully that changes. Doesn't look like it will with the 2016 or 2017 draft.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

8 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

LOL!!!!

Rick

Everyone's a victim. Didn't know smoking pot made you one, though. 

6 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Tweener? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1