New offensive coordinator Harrell ready to bring “Air Raid” attack to Denton

Skipper

1 hour ago, GangGreen said:

This was not about Litrell or win totals, but Harrell's ability to coach at this level. But, you're smart enough to understand this.

Right, because threads never veer off topic, eh?

Littrell, Harrell, whatever. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

On February 19, 2016 at 8:09 PM, UNT90 said:

At the end of the day, I really really really hope a guy who has coached a grand total of 2 years (only one as a position coach) can perform as an FBS offensive coordinator...

13 hours ago, medpilot21 said:

This is the Graham Harrell I remember, and this is the offense he taught the QB's at Washington State. It is also exactly what he will teach the Mean Green QB's here at our beloved North Texas. I don't know about you guys, but I'm sold.

GMG

Great clips but you know what all those great plays had in common?  A clean pocket to throw from.  How many clean pockets do you think this offensive line will produce this year?   A system is only as good as the offensive line playing for it.  The spread can help if you have great skill position players who can beat their match-ups at the line of scrimmage quickly.  However late in seasons against good opponents that advantage usually evaporates   Coaches catch on play zone and jumps the quarterback's read tendencies.  So if you can't protect the quarterback long enough for him to get to his 2nd or 3rd read the "magic" the spread disappears quickly.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm genuinely frightened that this team is going to be Dodge 2.0.  Furious shootouts with no regard for defense.

I can assure you after listening to Ekeler and Reffett won't let that happen. Those guys ooze hard nosed, tough, not letting offenses do what they want. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

I'm genuinely frightened that this team is going to be Dodge 2.0.  Furious shootouts with no regard for defense.

Why? Because we hired an OC as our HC? Unlike Dodge, Littrell hired some well qualified coaches to run the defense. My concern for our defense isn't any greater than the rest of the holes our team currently has.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 5

20 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I also share this concern.

21 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

After the Reffett hire as co-defensive coordinator, I feel much better. As well as experience, he has a better understanding of our level of play and level of recruits.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I sure am glad we beat those winless. or 2-win teams. Whew.

IN 2008, that UNT win at WKU on the last play of the game, where we intercepted a pass at the goal line and ran it back for a TD, which kept WKU from scoring the winning TD, was the toilet bowl. It was our one win that year and it kept WKU winless, as they would go on to finish 0-12.

We have managed to win some dogfights in the past toilet bowls of the FBS season--beat FIU in 7 OTs by finally not missing a FG in 2006, beat WKU in three straight seasons, which accounted for 60% of Todge's win total in three years. and then this year's victory over UTSA here, when we scored a late TD to beat a team playing their 5th string QB in that game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

IN 2008, that UNT win at WKU on the last play of the game, where we intercepted a pass at the goal line and ran it back for a TD, which kept WKU from scoring the winning TD, was the toilet bowl. It was our one win that year and it kept WKU winless, as they would go on to finish 0-12.

We have managed to win some dogfights in the past toilet bowls of the FBS season--beat FIU in 7 OTs by finally not missing a FG in 2006, beat WKU in three straight seasons, which accounted for 60% of Todge's win total in three years. and then this year's victory over UTSA here, when we scored a late TD to beat a team playing their 5th string QB in that game.

• Upvote 2

On February 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM, untjim1995 said:

WKU has built their program, we are still the worst football team in FBS.

Exactly how many Toliet Bowls have we played in with RV as AD? 

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

True about WKU.  Makes me sick to my stomach.

But the dubious honor bolded above belongs to the poor, lowly team we beat last year.

Not Really. We won that game when they rolled out their 4th and 5th string QBs and won in the 4th quarter, allowing us to go 1-11. UTSA still won 4 games last year. IF they played their 4th string QB all game long, we probably lose. If we played that game in San Antonio, we definitely would have lost.

FCS Portland State, 66-7, cemented our asses to the bottom of the FBS totem pole in 2015.

Hopefully, in 2016, we can avoid that dubious distinction.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Not Really. We won that game when they rolled out their 4th and 5th string QBs and won in the 4th quarter, allowing us to go 1-11. UTSA still won 4 games last year. IF they played their 4th string QB all game long, we probably lose. If we played that game in San Antonio, we definitely would have lost.

FCS Portland State, 66-7, cemented our asses to the bottom of the FBS totem pole in 2015.

Hopefully, in 2016, we can avoid that dubious distinction.

Check your facts, USA won 3 games in 2015, not that it really matters.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Are we really arguing over who is the tallest dwarf? We were very, very bad last year and so was UTSA.

Western shows that you can bounce back from being very, very bad in just a few years. 

Except we are a very very bad team just about all the time. WKU came in as a FCS transitional and got better quickly. Meanwhile, we were the worst team in FBS in 2008 and again this year, with multiple 3 win or less seasons in between. 

Don't compare UNT to WKU. They have moved to a different level.

WKU holds people accountable. UNT doesn't. I wouldn't expect much of a change, if any.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6