If Cinicinnati Leaves AAC, Who Leaves CUSA To Backfill

Eagle-96

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/02/13/inside-ucs-bid-join-big-12/80280488/

If the Big 12 decides to add  1 or 2 schools in May and Cincinnati is one of them, who is the logical choice to leave CUSA/MAC to back-fill. My money would be on Marshall leaving CUSA to join the AAC. Maybe Ohio or Toledo from the MAC. Then there is the inevitable back-fill into CUSA to take Marshall's spot. CUSA just keeps getting watered down.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/02/13/inside-ucs-bid-join-big-12/80280488/

If the Big 12 decides to add  1 or 2 schools in May and Cincinnati is one of them, who is the logical choice to leave CUSA/MAC to back-fill. My money would be on Marshall leaving CUSA to join the AAC. Maybe Ohio or Toledo from the MAC. Then there is the inevitable back-fill into CUSA to take Marshall's spot. CUSA just keeps getting watered down.

Why would the (not so) Big 12 add anyone? Didn't they get their waiver for a football conference title game?

Why would CUSA, or any raided conference, backfill and split the pie any further?

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

Why would the (not so) Big 12 add anyone? Didn't they get their waiver for a football conference title game?

Why would CUSA, or any raided conference, backfill and split the pie any further?

Big 12 would add members to strengthen their conference. Cincinnati is 82-35 in football since 2007.

CUSA would back-fill to balance the divisions.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

UNT!! Further solidify our rivalry with smut. 

I don't know.

Tulsa f-Ed our schedule and that was just a short series. Can you imagine the carnage if the SMU series was no longer an OOC series?

Just now, Eagle-96 said:

Big 12 would add members to strengthen their conference. Cincinnati is 82-35 in football since 2007.

CUSA would back-fill to balance the divisions.

That would still further reduce the $ per share in both cases. Since the (kinda) Big 12 got their waiver they don't need to expand to have a title game. Adding teams weakens the conference payouts, and that's what's going to drive changes, not on the field results.

• Upvote 1

I'll give Cincinnati credit for getting in the media and pushing this but I don't think the Big 12 adds anyone right now, especially since the NCAA ok'd the championship game under their current structure. 

As for the SMU/UNT series, I'm still hearing that will not play out. Orsini, our former AD, was behind the series and I'm told both Rick Hart, current AD, and Chad Morris are working to cancel the agreement and they will try to replace UNT will a P5 school. Obviously, this year's game will happen but anything after that is unlikely. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I'll give Cincinnati credit for getting in the media and pushing this but I don't think the Big 12 adds anyone right now, especially since the NCAA ok'd the championship game under their current structure. 

As for the SMU/UNT series, I'm still hearing that will not play out. Orsini, our former AD, was behind the series and I'm told both Rick Hart, current AD, and Chad Morris are working to cancel the agreement and they will try to replace UNT will a P5 school. Obviously, this year's game will happen but anything after that is unlikely. 

Shocking...

To believe that series is going to extend out for 12 years is not understanding when SMU generally schedules us. Its when it helps them.

I have thought that this series would get cancelled/bought out by SMU just as soon as they could find the right time. They think Morris has them on the upswing and playing lowly North Texas doesn't help their image. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be thrilled with them cancelling this sucker.

Then we can see who RV schedules to replace them.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Shocking...

To believe that series is going to extend out for 12 years is not understanding when SMU generally schedules us. Its when it helps them.

I have thought that this series would get cancelled/bought out by SMU just as soon as they could find the right time. They think Morris has them on the upswing and playing lowly North Texas doesn't help their image. As far as I'm concerned, I'd be thrilled with them cancelling this sucker.

This year's game might have a huge impact on the series. If we win, then the schedule against a lowly unt would be a game against a better program for them. If they smack us around again, it'll be canceled as all of you expect.

2 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Shocking...

Hey I heard UTPB has a football team now....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Aldo said:

No, I think they'd rather go P5.

I think their egos will make this happen as well but if the reasoning is that they think Morris has them on the upswing and they lose to us this year, those plans might be postponed a bit. If they lose to UNT on year two of the Morris era they are looking at another 2-10 season and Morris is on the hot seat heading into year 3. More important things at that point than canceling the series.

I do think Cincy will end up in the Big XII, plus another AAC school, maybe even a grand total of 4. Some combo of Cincy, Memphis, USF, UCF, and UConn are possible/probable.

I would expect that Cincy would get replaced with either Northern Illinois in the MAC or Ohio in the MAC. Memphis would get replaced by MUTS. USF/UCF would get replaced by an F_U, and UConn would get replaced by UMass.

If all four left, CUSA would replace MUTS and an F_U with Arkansas State and ULL

28 minutes ago, MJavierSMU said:

I doubt the series will be canceled before 2020. Since it seems SMU is interested in canceling the series, it would only be fair to have SMU help us find a replacement created by their vacancy for any games prior to 2020 since most schools have their OOC conference slate filled out for the next three to four years.  If they want to cancel the series beginning in 2020, I doubt it will hurt anyone's scheduling as there are still plenty of available FBS schools to schedule.

17 minutes ago, Aldo said:

No, I think they'd rather go P5.

I think SMU is already super P5 heavy on the schedule. But I'm sure no one in SMU land cares, they just want to feel like a P5 school.

I don't really see the big 12 taking anybody in the next couple years.. Like everyone is saying, they got their way with a 10 team championship game conference. Why expand anytime soon?

12 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If all four left, CUSA would replace MUTS and an F_U with Arkansas State and ULL

I'd be fine with those two teams.. if what you say happens. I'd actually hope for Texas State to be considered for CUSA as well. Either way, CUSA west would be a perfect travel conference for fans with that restructure.

Edited by GreenTexan13

6 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I do think Cincy will end up in the Big XII, plus another AAC school, maybe even a grand total of 4. Some combo of Cincy, Memphis, USF, UCF, and UConn are possible/probable.

I would expect that Cincy would get replaced with either Northern Illinois in the MAC or Ohio in the MAC. Memphis would get replaced by MUTS. USF/UCF would get replaced by an F_U, and UConn would get replaced by UMass.

I'd be shocked if any of the above  3 ended up in the Big 12. If they did somehow, I suspect that Texas would get uppity and bolt somewhere which would lead to a reshuffling of the whole deck. Regardless, we better figure out a way to win quick if we don't want to end up totally back in the SBC. 

3 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

I'd be shocked if any of the above  3 ended up in the Big 12. If they did somehow, I suspect that Texas would get uppity and bolt somewhere which would lead to a reshuffling of the whole deck. Regardless, we better figure out a way to win quick if we don't want to end up totally back in the SBC. 

To sort of agree with you, any expansion is only because Master Texas deems it acceptable to the rest of the Big XII employees. Otherwise, its a moot point, for sure.

7 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

I doubt the series will be canceled before 2020. Since it seems SMU is interested in canceling the series, it would only be fair to have SMU help us find a replacement created by their vacancy for any games prior to 2020 since most schools have their OOC conference slate filled out for the next three to four years.  If they want to cancel the series beginning in 2020, I doubt it will hurt anyone's scheduling as there are still plenty of available FBS schools to schedule.

That's not how that works...

29 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It really has nothing to do with ego. SMU is just like UH, Cincinnati, Memphis and UConn in that our goal is to get into a P5 conference. The next three to five years are vital. Every OOC game is extremely important and any G5 school that wants to move up should schedule accordingly. It's not that SMU is above playing UNT. It just does nothing for us, and it really does nothing for UNT to play SMU. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

To sort of agree with you, any expansion is only because Master Texas deems it acceptable to the rest of the Big XII employees. Otherwise, its a moot point, for sure.

Yes, the inevitable reshuffling is one of the major reasons that I've always had interest in us joining the MWC. They're naturally likely to remain pretty stable, and joining that conference would give us some real protection against ending up back where we started (or worse) before we joined CUSA. Too much potential reshuffling among Eastern/Southern schools, and we're not exactly in great demand at this point in the game.

• Upvote 3