Sidway: Darvin Kidsy worked out with football team amid potential felony charge

MeanGreenDan

I literally laughed out loud reading this because of the incompetence but it is actually really sad. This is like me going out and getting arrested for a heinous crime, continuing to go to work, and my boss saying "I had no idea, and whoops I forgot to tell security not to let him in." 

By the way the dean of students doesn't control you letting him workout in athletic facilities, only enrollment and discipline. Legal services has nothing to do with it. 

• Upvote 4

So what happens if he gets a plea deal for a lesser charge and serves no time? He's technically not guilty yet but is understandably suspended from the team. Well, apparently not suspended from the team.

I wonder if they dismiss him permanently or bring him back? He could be made an example of...

33 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

This is like me going out and getting arrested for a heinous crime, continuing to go to work, and my boss saying "I had no idea, and whoops I forgot to tell security not to let him in." 

Yeah, it actually is pretty sad in a way. I don't know him personally, but it's sounds like (as is the case with a lot of athletes) that's just all he knows is being a football player and doing what he's supposed to do as a football player. It's hard to grasp the concept of voluntarily not doing football activities and focusing on something else.

I remember my senior year after we got knocked out of the playoffs by Trinity, I woke up the next morning in shock. I literally didn't know what to do, with going in for Saturday film not being an option. I laid in bed staring at the ceiling for 30 minutes until my dad walked in and said they showed the highlights and I had a nice block.

Being done with a sport when you've invested so much into it is just a weird experience.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I'm sure he's been very busy with Capper trying to figure out a way to get Eli Howard removed from our official roster. I'm sure they'll get that taken care of after the next men's basketball game against Southern Miss on March 4th. 

Or the girls NCAA tournament teams recognition game on February 30th

• Upvote 3

From what I understand, RV has only made public statements twice:

January 15:

“The athletic department has been made aware of the arrest of a member of the North Texas football team, although the information available to us is limited. We have reached out to make sure that University entities responsible for the follow-up and investigation of this matter are aware of this situation and we will receive our updates through those offices. Based on my knowledge it wouldn’t be prudent for me to comment any further on the matter.”

January 26:

“I told Darvin Kidsy directly that at this point in time, he needs to take care of his situation and that he did not need to be involved with football,” Villareal said, referencing a phone call he had with Kidsy last weekend. “If that’s not the case, I will address that immediately. But I have not been aware he’s been involved in workouts.”

So:

1. It took RV from January 15th to January 22/23 to tell Kidsy to stay away from the program(we are relying on RVs word that this conversation ever took place). That's kind of a long time.

2. Littrell and the staff have been busy recruiting with probably very little time in Denton. RV should know this and should have informed the staff that is in town of his decision regarding Kidsy. Or he could have walked down a flight of stairs to check the weight room.

3. He seems to be placing blame on the strength staff for allowing Kidsy to work out. RV calls it a "mis-communication" with Zack Womack, but two seconds later defines mis-communication as "not having spoken" with Zack about Kidsy. That is not what mis-communication means. That actually means no communication.

It's embarrassing for the department and makes it look like we don't give an eff and don't know what we are doing. Well, I think the jury came back a long time ago on that one. And the band played on.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

From what I understand, RV has only made public statements twice:

January 15:

“The athletic department has been made aware of the arrest of a member of the North Texas football team, although the information available to us is limited. We have reached out to make sure that University entities responsible for the follow-up and investigation of this matter are aware of this situation and we will receive our updates through those offices. Based on my knowledge it wouldn’t be prudent for me to comment any further on the matter.”

January 26:

“I told Darvin Kidsy directly that at this point in time, he needs to take care of his situation and that he did not need to be involved with football,” Villareal said, referencing a phone call he had with Kidsy last weekend. “If that’s not the case, I will address that immediately. But I have not been aware he’s been involved in workouts.”

So:

1. It took RV from January 15th to January 22/23 to tell Kidsy to stay away from the program(we are relying on RVs word that this conversation ever took place). That's kind of a long time.

2. Littrell and the staff have been busy recruiting with probably very little time in Denton. RV should know this and should have informed the staff that is in town of his decision regarding Kidsy. Or he could have walked down a flight of stairs to check the weight room.

3. He seems to be placing blame on the strength staff for allowing Kidsy to work out. RV calls it a "mis-communication" with Zack Womack, but two seconds later defines mis-communication as "not having spoken" with Zack about Kidsy. That is not what mis-communication means. That actually means no communication.

It's embarrassing for the department and makes it look like we don't give an eff and don't know what we are doing. Well, I think the jury came back a long time ago on that one. And the band played on.

We have known for a long time that RV will lie about anything to protect himself. I think the odds are very high that the phone call to Kidsey never occurred.

When I tell you guys that Littrell will soon become discouraged with what he has to deal with from the AD, this is a perfect example. This tells Littrell that the #1 priority around UNT athletics isn't winning, it's excuse making to keep a job. And UNT has allowed RV to do just that for the last 15 years. 

Thats a pretty powerful message to Littrell. When you see your boss consistently half ass work, lie about it, and face zero consequences, you become discouraged and either quit or start half assing it yourself. Dan McCarney is the perfect example. 

I'd love to hear a defense from RV's close, personal friend @flyonthewall on this.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 5

I wish this hadn't happened but his staff is in a major transition, and there can be things that fall through the cracks.  it is entirely possible that the new strength coach was not yet informed of the situation and possibly there was a student trainer or someone else handling the workouts in the interim.  If the staff had been in place for 3-6+ months it would be a different story.   This appears to be a chain of command communication type of issue and the transitional status of the staff I think mitigates this some (not all) versus if they had the entire staff in place.  Add to it the fact most of the staff is out on the road recruiting right now.

I am not a legal expert, but does anyone know if a student can be kicked off the team on a alleged charge?  Doesn't the University have some type of policy on how these situations are to be handled?  What I am getting at here is what discretion does RV have, can he remove Kidsy from the program prior to a conviction or would he have to have University approval to do so?

EDIT:  it appears that most Universities are well withing their rights to suspend a student in a alleged infraction of the student code.  However, the student typically has the right to request a hearing and until that hearing is finalized it appears that they are allowed to remain full time status.  So for all we know this kid is still a full time student at UNT pending his hearing.

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

I wish this hadn't happened but his staff is in a major transition, and there can be things that fall through the cracks.  it is entirely possible that the new strength coach was not yet informed of the situation and possibly there was a student trainer or someone else handling the workouts in the interim.  If the staff had been in place for 3-6+ months it would be a different story.   This appears to be a chain of command communication type of issue and the transitional status of the staff I think mitigates this some (not all) versus if they had the entire staff in place.  Add to it the fact most of the staff is out on the road recruiting right now.

I am not a legal expert, but does anyone know if a student can be kicked off the team on a alleged charge?  Doesn't the University have some type of policy on how these situations are to be handled?  What I am getting at here is what discretion does RV have, can he remove Kidsy from the program prior to a conviction or would he have to have University approval to do so?

EDIT:  it appears that most Universities are well withing their rights to suspend a student in a alleged infraction of the student code.  However, the student typically has the right to request a hearing and until that hearing is finalized it appears that they are allowed to remain full time status.  So for all we know this kid is still a full time student at UNT pending his hearing.

This isn't a fault of the staff, this is a communication issue with Rick Villarreal, who is gawd awful at communication at any level. 

Litrell is busy as hell recruiting. Walk the hell downstairs and see what the F is happening in your own building. 

There is always an excuse for and by Rick Villarreal. 

Always...

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

He also said that, to his understanding, the charges from his original affidavit had been changed, but Denton Police spokesman Ryan Grelle confirmed no new affidavit has been issued.

If an affidavit is changed, according to Grelle, a new warrant for arrest would have to be issued....

--Didn't think Sidway would recheck his sources to validate this statement--.

Rick

• Upvote 4

Wait...shouldn't Littrell be the one telling Kidsy not to work out?  Who is the head coach, Villarreal or Littrell?

Having a very difficult time believing the current staff knew nothing about the situation with Kidsy.  This was big news.  How is it that this decision gets punted to the AD and the staff is clean?

If this is the way this staff will operate, the "we saw nothing, we heard nothing unless it came from the AD"...that's going to be a problem.

16 hours ago, UNTexas said:

So what happens if he gets a plea deal for a lesser charge and serves no time? He's technically not guilty yet but is understandably suspended from the team. Well, apparently not suspended from the team.

I wonder if they dismiss him permanently or bring him back? He could be made an example of...

It's what OU did with their RB that broke the girl's face two summers ago.  He was suspended during the 2014 season, made an Alford plea in October/November (?) of 2014, then rejoined the team for the spring workouts in 2015.

But, Bob Stoops wasn't hiding behind his AD's skirt.  Not sure why we're happy to have Littrell & Staff hide behind Villarreal's:

http://newsok.com/article/5292921

So, again, is Littrell the head coach or is he not?  If so, he can't just pass on being fully involved in the teams doings - on and off the field. 

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1