Star telegram UPDATE (PLOT TWIST)

TheReal_jayD

I really don't understand the angst out there about this.  It sounds like Littrell is our top choice so we have to wait a week.  We've known this would happen since the finalists were leaked.  It could be that Meacham was the first choice and turned us down but that goes against this latest report and against what his nephew twitted.  Of course, "not offered the job" could just be semantics.  Either way, we have to wait a week for Littrell.  I'm sure we have an "agreement" with him if not a contract all but signed.  I'm not worried about someone snatching him away in the last week.  It could happen but doubtful in my opinion.  In this week he should be giving UNC his all but he'll also be making calls to potiential assistant coaches so it's not a totally wasted week.

For all the RV haters (myself included), he's actually playing this as well as he can.  There's no harm in waiting a week to get the right guy.  Besides, think of all the additional press coverage we're getting.  

Do you prefer Meacham over Littrell?  I don't blame you.  I think I would have prefered Meacham for his extensive experience and Texas contacts, but I love Littrell's youth and energy.  Either is a great hire for us.  As BillSee pointed out, being young gives Littrell an advantage Meacham doesn't have.  

Disclaimer:  what if next week comes and Littrell isn't the hire?  What if there really is a secret candidate?  GMG board might melt down. :)

No angst.  Littrell is a solid hire.  I guess I was just really hoping for a hire that would make a big enough splash amid the Texas college football landscape that it would go a long way toward changing the poor perceptions that exist surrounding our program in the local media and among area coaches and recruits.  I'm not sure this choice will accomplish that goal.  But--I very well could be wrong.

• Upvote 3

Who knows. I'm just tired of the leadership void at UNT who's turning this into a predictable circus.

What school has ever come out and said

" Coach X is who we'd really like to hire"

"We have offered Coach Y and are waiting on him to accept"

"Coach Z has turned down our offer"

"Coach M and N are our two favorites at this moment"

No one. Ever. Welcome to modern media.

• Upvote 2

It is sounding more and more like there is a handshake agreement with Littrell and the job is his after Saturday. 

It looks like Letsche was right all along. He was definite that Littrell was Smatresk's guy in later tweets.

And let's remember, he works with George Dunham, a guy with a ton of inside UNT connections. 

• Upvote 4

Two thoughts:

1.  I believe it was Vito who reported that Litrell really impressed in the interview and it was more than just RV.  I'm certain this committee wasn't filled with football coaches so it wasn't his X's and O's that was impressive to them.  It was must have been his preparedness for the interview ... perhaps his thought on working with kids and student athletes, perhaps his approach to recruiting.  We know his football knowledge is good but this should gives us hope that he has the skills needed to lead a program.  

2. I liked Meacham but he doesn't have the "itch" to become a head coach.  If he did he would have been one before now.  He might take job in the perfect situation but this wasn't it or wasn't the time.  That's fine because he's still a great coach and coordinator.  However, Litrell does seem to have that "itch".  He has that desire and apparently was very prepared for this interview.  It might not amount to anything but I appreciate someone coming here who's hungry for the job.  

• Upvote 3

What school has ever come out and said

" Coach X is who we'd really like to hire"

"We have offered Coach Y and are waiting on him to accept"

"Coach Z has turned down our offer"

"Coach M and N are our two favorites at this moment"

No one is asking for that. RV had the athletic department start issuing nonsense about the decision coming down and then balked. This hiring is not being run professionally by RV. RV is terrible at almost every aspect of his job and the Athletic Department has suffered 15 years of his failures. What FBS university would put up with this AD?

No one. Ever. Welcome to North Texas.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

I'm not an RV fan but did he ever say he would have someone in place today? Or was that Internet talk? I don't think he ever put a date on it, may have said his week if I recall.

A player's parent tweeted that the players were told the decision was made and an announcement would be today. Why would that parent lie? 

RV likes to talk out of his ass about things he doesn't know about. I wouldn't doubt that he is completely cut out of the process and told the players this to show he was "in the know."

I don't think he is at this point.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

A player's parent tweeted that the players were told the decision was made and an announcement would be today. Why would that parent lie? 

RV likes to talk out of his ass about things he doesn't know about. I wouldn't doubt that he is completely cut out of the process and told the players this to show he was "in the know."

I don't think he is at this point.

the Ad does exit interviews with players?

I always hear him refer to himself as "Coach".  What is that all about?

And he likes others to refer to him that way.  He worked as a grad Asst and positions coach for USM and LSU. 1988-1995ish.

I was just asking if a player said that or it was just allegations...

A player's parent tweeted it.

Edited by UNT90

Yeah and I posted it on here..  it didn't say rv was in the meeting or he said who the next coach was.. that's what you and I are talking about 

It said an announcement would come today and the decision was made. If it was Littrell, an announcement would never have come today. 

It seems RV or an underling were talking out their ass.