MGB: New name in the mix at UNT

Brett Vito

I would love to have him as a recruiter but as a head coach I do not know if he meets the criteria.  Would love to see him here in come capacity though.  This guy can recruit!

I've address this concept before, but here I go again. He may be a good recruiter, but being a great recruiter would be if he regularly recruited great players to.....say....UTEP. He recruited whilst wearing Longhorn colors. That can make a good recruiter a great one just about any day.

Coach Chambers spent too long at one school in essentially one position. No thanks. 

Anyway, I think this is some sort of red herring that the athletic department put out there to make the real selection look better. Everyone's going "OH NO!, and when it turns out to not be him, everyone is so relieved that they don't bitch too much about the real selection.

And now my schtick. 

Bruce Chambers (#14 on your program), recruited by Hayden Fry I believe from Carter HS. He and Charlie Murray (#20 on your program) were Jordan Case' very dependable pass catching duo.  Their best year was 78. 

• Upvote 2

I've address this concept before, but here I go again. He may be a good recruiter, but being a great recruiter would be if he regularly recruited great players to.....say....UTEP. He recruited whilst wearing Longhorn colors. That can make a good recruiter a great one just about any day.

that's valid.  

This will be the new coach.  NT Letterman, comes from a program that everyone admires, minority hire, and available.  Meet your new coach.  Mark it down.  

Welcome Coach Cambers

GO MEAN GREEN

This would be a HUGE mistake. Might as well bring Mac back if this is gonna be the hire.

• Upvote 2

This won't happen. 

This is a lettermen push, I'm quite sure. 

Seems you and several others missed the most important part of Vito's blog entry:

"there are at least a few boosters pushing for former UNT player and Texas assistant coach Bruce Chambers."

If the monied few have spoken RV will jump.  Meet our new coach, folks.

• Upvote 1

This guy is definitely not worth $1.2 million a year.  I can see nothing about him that makes him an exciting, dynamic coach.  

He's from high school, then some bajillion years as a position coach, never moving up to coordinator, then back to high school.

Meanwhile, Meachum, Fritz, Briles, et al all go on to win their conferences with wherever they land, right?

If this is the guy, especially if we pay him over a million a year, which will in turn no doubt increase the cost of my season tickets and probably raise my required MGC membership levels, I will be very, very disappoint.

Seems you and several others missed the most important part of Vito's blog entry:

"there are at least a few boosters pushing for former UNT player and Texas assistant coach Bruce Chambers."

If the monied few have spoken RV will jump.  Meet our new coach, folks.

200.gif

Upon reading your post, Emmitt, I had an explosive reaction.

• Upvote 2

I would certainly not be against seeing a former letterman and a graduate of a Dallas power program find a spot on the new staff. Surely we will be looking for position coaches.  Would be great to see him snag one of those.  I would think a position coach at UNT would earn comparable/more than the assistant AD of a high school.

• Upvote 1

I guess he was fired at Texas when Charlie Strong took over there.  I know that assistant coaches occasionally have a hiatus after a regime change.  It does kind of make me wonder what he did during 2015. 

He was actually the only coach retained from Mack's staff by Charile Strong. He was let go after the 2014 season. I suspect he was largely retained to keep Mack's top state of Texas 2014 recruits(Heard).

• Upvote 1