Why not bring Dickey back?

midlane

When I was there the program was on the up-he got fired toward the end of my college career. He's only seemed to have success wherever he's been since. Memphis is a legit contender for a playoff spot. They're not going to get it, but just that sentence is crazy to me. 

Probably because he's a bit of a dickey, and he probably doesn't like us very much with the way things ended. On a positive note, I have to say that he was somewhat of a success here due to the bowl appearances, but most everything else during his tenure was pretty bad. I do wish him well in Memphis and hope he's living healthy. Return trips just rarely pan out anyway.  

• Upvote 4

Dickey's doing well in Memphis and should get another head coaching shot, but there's no way it should be at UNT. Remember the black uniform stunt and the other bad blood that took place upon his departure? If you're one of the fans who hates it when a UNT coach makes excuses for poor performance by saying it's too tough to recruit here, Dickey was talking like that on the way out the door.

He's one of the best coaches we've ever had, and should be remembered for the conference winning streak, first bowl win in decades and the way he handled the tragic death of Andrew Smith. But I wouldn't want to risk another bad-attitude coach running this program.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What the hell does pound sand mean?

If you're serious here are a few synonyms: piss up a rope, get lost, take a hike, fly a kite, go play in traffic, and especially F*** off.

Dickey could offer any of these suggestions to RV if he were daft enough to ask if he'd like to come back.

• Upvote 5

I'd sooner make sweet Texas love to Todd Dodge in a hot tub full of lime flavored Jell-O than Dickey and RV would be found shaking hands and making nice. The pre-Mattress Mack donors have no love lost with Dickey either.  

It's too early in the day for that mental picture.

Sweet Texas love ... that's where you keep your boots on, right?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What the hell does pound sand mean?

Now, assuming this absurd thing happened, here is what I'd advise Dickey to say...."sure I'll take the job back there R.V, but only if you pay me twice what Coach Mac was getting.  AND you dress up in a turkey suit and perform with the band during half-time of the UTEP game singing Rod Stewart's "Do ya think I'm sexy?".

Would you also accept him doing it at halftime of the SIU basketball game?

When I was there the program was on the up-he got fired toward the end of my college career. He's only seemed to have success wherever he's been since. Memphis is a legit contender for a playoff spot. They're not going to get it, but just that sentence is crazy to me. 

Because Rick Villareal is still the Athletic Director, that's why.

Also, been there, done that.

internet-memes-cant-tell-if-fry-or-bippi

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think the lines that went something like, "it's us vs. the fans" and, "it's difficult to recruit at North Texas" are why not Dickey.

Dickey's not the only coach who has said that. The first coach that "sort of" said something like that was Bob Tyler. But his statement was more along the lines of "why don't more people show up to games" or " what the hell is wrong with those people?"  And at the risk of getting cyber-hell fire rained down on me, the statement is actually true. It is hard to recruit to this insane asylum. It's just that every coach is never properly advised/prepared for the challenge when they are recruited/hired.  And after a while they all come to the same conclusion as Bob Tyler......"what the hell is wrong with these people?"

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If you're serious here are a few synonyms: piss up a rope, get lost, take a hike, fly a kite, go play in traffic, and especially F*** off.

Dickey could offer any of these suggestions to RV if he were daft enough to ask if he'd like to come back.

I'm with you Silver.  Never heard of "pound sand" either.

Oh, and a big negatory to Dickey.