Gofundme banner account

UNT90

Yup. No one cares.

If no one cares when we set a record for losing, no one cares when we win either. So if that's how you feel, should we zero out the football budget and put that money into stuff people do care about, like D/FW's home for smooth jazz?

People do care. Fans care, boosters care and school officials care. That's why we built Apogee and are spending millions on football and basketball. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

If no one cares when we set a record for losing, no one cares when we win either. So if that's how you feel, should we zero out the football budget and put that money into stuff people do care about, like D/FW's home for smooth jazz?

People do care. Fans care, boosters care and school officials care. That's why we built Apogee and are spending millions on football and basketball. 

We agree that the situation sucks and needs to change, so let me rephrase: It is highly unlikely anything that is being done with a plane and banner is going to cause anything positive to happen if people are not rioting em masse in one of the most embarrassing on field results in our history. I would not mind being wrong about this at all, but the coach being fired seems to be the one action in store for the rest of the season. Handwritten letters, emails, and the removal of funds/attendance seem to be more effective ways to make a point, even if the boogie monster known as the Freedom of Information Act really gets under some people's skin. You all are just repeatedly yelling at a board where a giant poll indicated everyone wants a change. This is Yelp syndrome - you guys just want to the loudest and most special about it. Best of luck and if this gets us what we all want, I'll happily eat an IKEA instruction book or maybe the Bill or Rights.

• Upvote 1

He publicly humiliated us to the tune of 66-7. Then every single news outlet in the country dogpiled on top of us. This will be seen by attendees of the game and local media only. I find it very doubtful that this gets anything close to the publicity that it 1) deserves or 2) 66-7 received. 

Get on the train or get out of the way. 

Guess you don't remember the 6-37 record Dodge held for us over the course of 4 years before The McCarney era...pretty sure we already had the entire country dog piling on top of us then. Weren't we ranked last out of all the FBS teams at one point yea? 

I don't appreciate being told to "get on the train or get out of the way" because truth be told I still went to all of those awful games at Fouts for 4 years and STILL bought season tickets once Apogee opened and proudly show my UNT support whenever possible, so to say that I've actually been ahead of said train is a fair assessment. 

I did say that I wasn't opposed to the firing of RV and going in a new direction-I'm all for it. I merely don't agree with using our game (pre-kickoff or not) as the public platform for getting this point across. Will I still be at tailgating on Halloween? Yes. Will I probably take a picture if I see the banner? Yes. But I don't support putting down another human being, just because we are able to. Call me compassionate. 

As always, Go Mean Green! 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

It is highly unlikely anything that is being done with a plane and banner is going to cause anything positive to happen if people are not rioting em masse in one of the most embarrassing on field results in our history.

Nobody knows what the tipping point will be to get an AD out until the AD is out. The banner shows that fans are pissed. Will other fans find ways to show they also want RV out? Unclear.

People have tried the other things you've mentioned now and in the past. We're still mired in mediocrity and RV's still here, so new things are being tried.

• Upvote 1

Guess you don't remember the 6-37 record Dodge held for us over the course of 4 years before The McCarney era...pretty sure we already had the entire country dog piling on top of us then. Weren't we ranked last out of all the FBS teams at one point yea? 

1. I don't appreciate being told to "get on the train or get out of the way" because truth be told I still went to all of those awful games at Fouts for 4 years and STILL bought season tickets once Apogee opened and proudly show my UNT support whenever possible, so to say that I've actually been ahead of said train is a fair assessment. 

I did say that I wasn't opposed to the firing of RV and going in a new direction-I'm all for it. I merely don't agree with using our game (pre-kickoff or not) as the public platform for getting this point across. Will I still be at tailgating on Halloween? Yes. Will I probably take a picture if I see the banner? Yes. 2. But I don't support putting down another human being, just because we are able to. Call me compassionate. 

1. Nor should you. Some posters have sharp elbows, and not all of them are as blunt about it as Ben.

2. You must have been the nicest player on the field!

• Upvote 1

For a young alumnus, you are getting a good start on painful memories of UNT's football woes. There's no better subject of debate on GMG than to compare two miserable eras to decide which one was worst.

I applaud your willingness to endure such suffering while still asserting your undying love of the Mean Green. Just remember to pace yourself. Don't suffer so much so quickly that you burn out. Being a long-suffering UNT fan is a marathon, not a sprint.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Nobody knows what the tipping point will be to get an AD out until the AD is out. The banner shows that fans are pissed. Will other fans find ways to show they also want RV out? Unclear.

People have tried the other things you've mentioned now and in the past. We're still mired in mediocrity and RV's still here, so new things are being tried.

Oh, RV is pissed and so are his buddies, which I think is all a bunch of you want. You're also making it incredibly easy for RV and anyone else to paint a picture of this being the work of message board people with insane posting histories, vendettas, and tagalongs, even if everyone supporting this doesn't see it that way (and that's not how some of you really are.) The banner will fly, we'll have some laughs and then the sun will come up and you know who will still be the AD?

But whatever, I'm all for hilariously personal trolling for entertainment's sake and selfishly cannot wait to see this play out.

• Upvote 3

I don't appreciate being told to "get on the train or get out of the way" because truth be told I still went to all of those awful games at Fouts for 4 years and STILL bought season tickets once Apogee opened and proudly show my UNT support whenever possible, so to say that I've actually been ahead of said train is a fair assessment. 

I did say that I wasn't opposed to the firing of RV and going in a new direction-I'm all for it. I merely don't agree with using our game (pre-kickoff or not) as the public platform for getting this point across. Will I still be at tailgating on Halloween? Yes. Will I probably take a picture if I see the banner? Yes. But I don't support putting down another human being, just because we are able to. Call me compassionate. 

Well, climb aboard. There is plenty of room. This plane shines 0 negative light on the University of North Texas. That is not the intent. The underline intent is to improve athletics so we can improve the perception of our university in its entirety. GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Oh, RV is pissed and so are his buddies, which I think is all a bunch of you want. You're also making it incredibly easy for RV and anyone else to paint a picture of this being the work of message board people with insane posting histories, vendettas, and tagalongs, even if everyone supporting this doesn't see it that way (and that's not how some of you really are.) The banner will fly, we'll have some laughs and then the sun will come up and you know who will still be the AD?

This is just the next step in the gradual escalation, as I see it. Or do you think this is a one-trick pony?

Oh, RV is pissed and so are his buddies, which I think is all a bunch of you want.

I don't have a goal of pissing off RV and his big-donor buddies. I just want him out.

If you asked RV whether firing McCarney was personal, he'd say it wasn't. This isn't personal either. If I met RV I'd be nice to him. I'd even be willing to carry a box of his personal belongings from his desk to his car.

RV and RV supporters were always going to respond to a public call to fire him by saying it was just crazy Internet shut-ins, a "minority" of fans, yadda yadda.

But it doesn't matter what RV thinks. It matters what Smatresk and the board think. The hope is that they'll see enough signs of our discontent to decide that it's time to stop carrying water for an AD whose football coaches are 28-72.

Edited by rcade
  • Upvote 2

This is just the next step in the gradual escalation, as I see it. Or do you think this is a one-trick pony?

It better not be. If there's not a billboard, a wrapped van that hands out fire RV merchandise or a ton of people who attend the Halloween game dressed as jobless RV, then what the hell are you all even doing?

• Upvote 3

Oh, RV is pissed and so are his buddies, which I think is all a bunch of you want.

Tapthe brakes on that one. That is were a lot of you are thinking this is a personal attack on the guy. That we personally hate RV's Guts and we wish eternal bad luck on the guy. That is not it at all. This is about an outcry to the University (especially the president) that we are not going to be ignored anymore. We are tired of the same ol' UNT is mediocre and will never amount to anything in the major sports field.

Idk if you all have heard us before.... But we tried the "keep it between the president and ourselves approach". We wrote letters, social media posts, and emails...

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 3

1. Nor should you. Some posters have sharp elbows, and not all of them are as blunt about it as Ben.

2. You must have been the nicest player on the field!

Maybe not the nicest player as I do recall some hair pulling back in the day (oops?) :) the intensity of living in a "win or be fired" situation for years does make for a calmer compassionate "retirement" though 

• Upvote 1

Idk if you all have heard us before.... But we tried the "keep it between the president and ourselves approach". We wrote letters, social media posts, and emails...

and the president of a university didn't immediately write you back personally? 

• Upvote 1

No, but the AD does...

I also sent my first letter back in March, before the real shit hit the fan . Never heard from anyone... A 2 page letter... I don't think 7 months classifies as immediately...

Edited by GreenTexan13

It better not be. If there's not a billboard, a wrapped van that hands out fire RV merchandise or a ton of people who attend the Halloween game dressed as jobless RV, then what the hell are you all even doing?

God you're good! Your creative mind overfloweth. Thanks for sharing.

You're oversimplifying to make us seem ridiculous.

I didn't expect a personal reply, but I did expect to see some signs that we're being heard. Instead, Smatresk is saying the standard things a president says before an AD hires a coach and Villarreal is talking as if his coaches have been 72-28 instead of 28-72.

If Villarreal and/or Smatresk didn't want our discontent to grow, one or both could put themselves out there to make statements that (a) acknowledge the long and deep mediocrity in which our top sports are mired and (b) try to persuade fans on why the future will be different.

Instead, it all sounds like it did when Dodge was fired, except now we're wasting Apogee instead of waiting to move into it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There isn't much time to wait for the president to do something before RV hires again since there are only two major outdoor event left this year. 

If the president is playing a long game on RV it will likely end too late to stop RV from hiring a new football coach and a new basketball coach (unless he extends Benford and I think we can agree that would be a mistake as well). If (and it's a pretty big if) the president is waiting for RV to hang himself with the extra rope Smatresk is giving him it is likely to kill the two money sports for another 3-5 years...

That's asking for a ton of patience from a long suffering fan base.

He publicly humiliated us to the tune of 66-7. Then every single news outlet in the country dogpiled on top of us. This will be seen by attendees of the game and local media only. I find it very doubtful that this gets anything close to the publicity that it 1) deserves or 2) 66-7 received. 

Get on the train or get out of the way. 

Wait,
I thought the banner was going to take aim at Rick Villareal?   You're apparently talking about Dan McCarney... who is already gone.

All aboard the Fire Rick Villareal train!  Apparently it's not going anywhere according to the president of the University and the big donors, but people are still spending 1000's of dollars and ranting incessantly to get it moving.
185px-Thomas_was_angry_about_his_plan_ab

• Upvote 1

Agreed. I think we all want to see a change. The message is loud and clear, we just agree to disagree regarding how the message is delivered, but in a respectful manner. 

Correct. And you are new, so let me apologize for Ben Gooding. Like all of us, I'm sure he is well intentioned, just a little immature in his expression. 

Wait,I thought the banner was going to take aim at Rick Villareal?   You're apparently talking about Dan McCarney... who is already gone.

All aboard the Fire Rick Villareal train!  Apparently it's not going anywhere according to the president of the University and the big donors, but people are still spending 1000's of dollars and ranting incessantly to get it moving.
185px-Thomas_was_angry_about_his_plan_ab

So you think RV has no accountability for any coach he hires? Interesting.

Let me remind you that was the worst loss in the history of college football.

Ever. 

And you are saying the athletic director with a history of bad to terrible hires bares no responsibility?