Would You Give Canales A 1 Year Chance

El Paso Eagle

I can't believe that the first QB that has given NT a glimmer of hope in the last two years, given 3 days to prepare for his first start, and played in my view a very good high pressure game is subject to this much criticism. 

Back to the subject, I would definitely give Canales a shot at the HC gig based on his performance this season.  The talent level on this team is a factor in two ways, one favorable and one unfavorable to Canales.  Anyone who can eek out any wins with this level of talent is doing well.  However, on the other side: Canales has been a very big factor in NT's recruiting woes and why would you want to risk that being perpetuated. 

The compromise position is if the team finishes well, then give him a short term contract to see if he can right the ship in terms of recruiting and staff.  Assuming that some can't miss hc candidate doesn't appear.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The compromise position is if the team finishes well, then give him a short term contract to see if he can right the ship in terms of recruiting and staff.  Assuming that some can't miss hc candidate doesn't appear.

Honest question: If he were to fire Cosh, for instance, what DC in their right mind is going to move themselves across the country to work for someone with a one year contract?

Honest question: If he were to fire Cosh, for instance, what DC in their right mind is going to move themselves across the country to work for someone with a one year contract?

Coordinators jump around a lot from year to year. I could see one whose current coach is fired wanting to take a flier on UNT regardless of the head coach situation.

Maybe one who is confident in his skills.  Assistant coaches are basically nomads and they always know that they can go at any time.  There are always candidates to take 6 figure jobs. 

By the way, I would offer a rolling two year contract.  If he keeps making progress, he would always have 2 years and if NT want to make a change NT would always have to buyout one year.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

Like the guy, but NO. Especially after watching his postgame presser. His evaluating, developing, and recruiting haven't been good enough. He's a smart guy, but any of the OC guys we are considering could do more with what's here and bring in better talent.  That's what we need, but they have to be able to bring in a good D staff cause that side of the ball is horrendous. 

If you gave Chico a 1 year contract, wouldn't that make it really tough on him to recruit ?     Don't kids want to select a school with some stability at HC, even if it is a new coach with a longer contract ?

I don't know this for a fact.   But, I would expect that new recruits want to be assured that their coach is going to be in it for the long haul.

• Upvote 1

Hey, spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars buying tickets for North Texas Football.

Over the last decade the last two coaches have driven the program into the ground. Recruiting has been awful and the on-field results have been humiliating for the university and for everyone associated with it. But now we've hired their second in command to run the program.

Sorry, that sales pitch doesn't work even with the best of outcomes for the remaining 6 games this season. North Texas has got to be able to sell that a real change has taken place.

It would be like Blue Bell trying to sell "possibly reduced listeria" ice cream. Nobody is going to buy it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Hey, spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars buying tickets for North Texas Football.

Over the last decade the last two coaches have driven the program into the ground. Recruiting has been awful and the on-field results have been humiliating for the university and for everyone associated with it. But now we've hired their second in command to run the program.

Sorry, that sales pitch doesn't work even with the best of outcomes for the remaining 6 games this season. North Texas has got to be able to sell that a real change has taken place.

It would be like Blue Bell trying to sell "possibly reduced listeria" ice cream. Nobody is going to buy it.

For the umpteenth time. If most of you want a new start with the football program, then it starts with a new AD. 

• Upvote 1

Certainly not yet after just one game. If he wants to be considered for the job evaluate how he did at the end of the season and then make a decision. I think it unlikely he would be the best candidate, but at least have a reasonable sample of games. 

I think this is fair. Plus a new AD would have an opportunity to assess the situation without any sort of emotional baggage. 

No. Not even if he coached for free.

You know. If we have so little regard for the coach that is in charge of the rest of the season, how must the players feel about how we might feel about them.

Edited by SilverEagle