MGB: If McNulty wasn't the best option, he wouldn't be out there

Brett Vito

because we have lost both games by 2 touchdowns plus? 

Even Mac throws the ball when behind in the 4th quarter.

So how do you explain the fact that we've thrown the ball almost twice as much in the 2nd qr. than the 4th?

Also we have run plays about 5 seconds faster than last year. So yes there is more of an up-tempo offense. 

I'm not advocating that I believe in this offense, but the facts are that is more open. It is more up-tempo. The execution is sorely lacking. The design is lacking as well. 

I know you like to complain just to complain, but come on. 

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Oh ya, and I told you mofos the "up tempo" offense was coach speak, but did you listen? 

Nooooooooooo.

You should really have longer memories. This staff told you in the spring of 2014 that they were going to "open up" the offense. They didn't. 

As long as DMac is head coach, we are going to run the F'n ball.

Time after time after time.

Take the second drive of the second half of Rice. The first drive was McNulty's interception. Second drive? Three straight running plays.

Three straight running plays surrounded by 2 long Rice drives. Game over. 

uptempo was "coach speak"?  I don't understand what you're saying here.   Are you saying the coaches were telling us we were going to go "uptempo", but actually did not?   If so, have you watched any of the games yet?  Of course our offense has become "uptempo".

You realize that you can run the same exact plays, from the same exact playbook in an uptempo offense, right?  "Uptempo" does not mean "Air Raid" or something.

• Upvote 3

So how do you explain the fact that we've thrown the ball almost twice as much in the 2nd qr. than the 4th?

Also we have run plays about 5 seconds faster than last year. So yes there is more of an up-tempo offense. 

I'm not advocating that I believe in this offense, but the facts are that is more open. It is more up-tempo. The execution is sorely lacking. The design is lacking as well. 

I know you like to complain just to complain, but come on. 

NT was losing both games at halftime. 

Give me experience in Leach or give me Kendrall(?) Briles in energy and philosophy. 

Give me a Baylor assistant. (We're already similar defensively).

because we have lost both games by 2 touchdowns plus? 

Even Mac throws the ball when behind in the 4th quarter.

NT was losing both games at halftime. 

7-6 and 17-10? That doesn't mean panic mode.

It's uptempo. #Nodoubtaboutit. The play is over, guys line up immediately and boom. 

As @Mean_Green09 mentioned, it is being executed poorly. You'll have a string of plays where it's bing bang boom. Then there will be a string of plays where the players are waiting and waiting for the sideline call and visibly frustrated. I remember seeing a couple plays as UNT was marching down against Rice, players were running on and off the field because they couldn't tell if they were in or out.

• Upvote 1

uptempo was "coach speak"?  I don't understand what you're saying here.   Are you saying the coaches were telling us we were going to go "uptempo", but actually did not?   If so, have you watched any of the games yet?  Of course our offense has become "uptempo".
You realize that you can run the same exact plays, from the same exact playbook in an uptempo offense, right?  "Uptempo" does not mean "Air Raid" or something.

snapping the ball 5 seconds quicker on average isn't up tempo, especially considering how much of the play clock we were using before we went "up tempo." 

Maybe not Air Raid, but saying you are going up tempo indicates you are going to throw the ball more and the offense will be more wide open. How many teams do you know that run a hurry up offense just to run the ball 3 times up the middle? Their is a reason that these offenses don't exist.

It's because they don't work.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Half. I think for a guy like this UNT could and would pony up 1.3xx for him. Is it worth it? YES. Is he worth 400k more than Mccarney? Hell yes! Would he be willing to take a 50% pay cut? That's the question and I think at this point in Leach's career he would take this job for the said money. Half the money and realistically half the pressure. He would have an absolute free regin on how this program would be ran and rightfully so. Given our current situation and the dynamics of Texas high school football it would be one hell of a hire, IMO. 

First of all, even if Leach took a 50% pay cut to $1.3 million, he would still make double what Mac makes as a salary here. IOW, we aren't going to double (again) what we pay a head coach. Mac has the highest salary in school history--and its $650k. That was over double what we paid Todd Dodge--and we wouldn't fire him after three seasons because that was deemed to expensive. What the hell do you think the leadership is going to think about buying out more than a year of Mac's contract that is double annually of Todd Dodge's contract? And then turn around and pay double Mac's salary to a guy like Mike Leach, who is currently making double this amount?

I'll take a swig of whatever Kool-Aid you are drinking. We don't operate like this in Denton--never have, never will. Even after McNatt donated $1.5 million to UNT Athletics, the posts on facebook from alumni and students were about 75% negative about even having a football team, much less donating to it. That mindset is the majority--by a loooonnnnnggggg ways. When Mac gets replaced, after 2017, he will get replaced by an assistant coach, one who will be thrilled to make $400k-$500k annually. We sure as hell aren't gonna go up higher than what we pay Mac.  Hell, that's why the BOR approved his 5-year extension from RV--he wasn't going to get a huge raise in salary, so the known costs of the next 5 years was perfect for the budget.

First of all, even if Leach took a 50% pay cut to $1.3 million, he would still make double what Mac makes as a salary here. IOW, we aren't going to double (again) what we pay a head coach. Mac has the highest salary in school history--and its $650k. That was over double what we paid Todd Dodge--and we wouldn't fire him after three seasons because that was deemed to expensive. What the hell do you think the leadership is going to think about buying out more than a year of Mac's contract that is double annually of Todd Dodge's contract? And then turn around and pay double Mac's salary to a guy like Mike Leach, who is currently making double this amount?

I'll take a swig of whatever Kool-Aid you are drinking. We don't operate like this in Denton--never have, never will. Even after McNatt donated $1.5 million to UNT Athletics, the posts on facebook from alumni and students were about 75% negative about even having a football team, much less donating to it. That mindset is the majority--by a loooonnnnnggggg ways. When Mac gets replaced, after 2017, he will get replaced by an assistant coach, one who will be thrilled to make $400k-$500k annually. We sure as hell aren't gonna go up higher than what we pay Mac.  Hell, that's why the BOR approved his 5-year extension from RV--he wasn't going to get a huge raise in salary, so the known costs of the next 5 years was perfect for the budget.

Pay more or get left further behind. 1.3 M in relativity is peanuts. 650k is scraps. Mac got paid double Dodge bc Dodge was a risk/reward hire. Those kind of hires are typically very cheap, in any business. Not to mention, he was coming from the high school ranks. It should be to no surprise that Mac is getting almost double that of Dodge. If a program wants relevancy, they're going to have to pay for it. If UNT doesn't want it then hire our next guy that is comfortable with making 200k and be content with 2-3-4 wins a season; essentially exactly what we're getting now but for 1/3 the price. Take the leftovers from HC and assistant salaries and funnel it into baseball. If we're going to go half ass we might as well go 1/8 or 1/16th ass. 

Leach has had his day in the sun. We need a young coach who has won with a smaller budget while competing against major Texas schools. The former head coach at Sam Houston and current head coach at Georgia Southern would be an EXCELLENT choice. Willie Fritz has done a great job at both locals. Sadly, his next job will most likely be at a P5. 

We needed to be on him when he left Sam Houston. Timing wasn't on our side. 

• Upvote 3

Leach has had his day in the sun. We need a young coach who has won with a smaller budget while competing against major Texas schools. The former head coach at Sam Houston and current head coach at Georgia Southern would be an EXCELLENT choice. Willie Fritz has done a great job at both locals. Sadly, his next job will most likely be at a P5. 

We needed to be on him when he left Sam Houston. Timing wasn't on our side. 

I bet he moves up to a more prestigious G5 program before making the jump to a P5. I don' think many P5 schools would take a chance on a guy with so little D1 experience.

We could get him after this season, but that would require us to act like a real program and fire Mac. I think the chances of that happening are greater than most think, but I'm still not holding my breath.

I bet he moves up to a more prestigious G5 program before making the jump to a P5. I don' think many P5 schools would take a chance on a guy with so little D1 experience.

We could get him after this season, but that would require us to act like a real program and fire Mac. I think the chances of that happening are greater than most think, but I'm still not holding my breath.

http://sports.newsday.com/long-island/data/college/college-football/coaches-salaries/willie-fritz/

It would be a substantial raise for him to come to UNT, so, maybe? 

And would UNT have to "pony up" to buy out a portion of his contract? Don't know. 

http://sports.newsday.com/long-island/data/college/college-football/coaches-salaries/willie-fritz/

And would UNT have to "pony up" to buy out a portion of his contract? Don't know. 

I don't think there's a single FBS HC who would go from being a bowl team at that FBS school to leaving and accepting the job here coming off of firing our previous coach. Even from the Belt. It's a huge risk, considering how many losing seasons we've had. And any FBS school that is going to bowl games would gladly pony up the cash that we could pay.

Maybe if we were winning a lot and we were in the market for a new coach because the guy leaving did so to take a P5 job.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Fritz

Real accomplishments with ties to Texas. This guy would be the perfect hire.

Which means it will never happen.

I don't think there's a single FBS HC who would go from being a bowl team at that FBS school to leaving and accepting the job here coming off of firing our previous coach. Even from the Belt. It's a huge risk, considering how many losing seasons we've had. And any FBS school that is going to bowl games would gladly pony up the cash that we could pay.

Maybe if we were winning a lot and we were in the market for a new coach because the guy leaving did so to take a P5 job.

I tend to agree, but you never know until you try. I think he lands a P5 job inside of 4 years. 

Sadly, we don't have an AD that would even look at a candidate like this. 

So you say our offense is slow? 

Why have we thrown the ball over 30 times the past 2 games?

Let me also add NT is throwing it 34.5 times a game. Last year it was 28.5. NT ranks 51st in pass attempts per game. Last year it was around 100. 

Do not attempt to use logic or facts. It does not fit the agenda around here and only confuses people. 

Focus on the final score and make up the rest. 

• Upvote 4

Based on this website, UNT is the only school in C-USA other than UTSA not paying their HC bonus cash for reaching the conference championship. Mac apparently has incentives for bowl games and *gasp* top 25 rankings and playoff bids/national championship showings. What's Mac's reward for attainable success? He's getting ready to retire and has hardly any incentives for building a strong program so why sweat it. If he's not being motivated and he knows getting a few wins here and there will ensure job security then there you have it.

Complacency is sure to lead to failure.

• Upvote 2

Based on this website, UNT is the only school in C-USA other than UTSA not paying their HC bonus cash for reaching the conference championship. Mac apparently has incentives for bowl games and *gasp* top 25 rankings and playoff bids/national championship showings. What's Mac's reward for attainable success? He's getting ready to retire and has hardly any incentives for building a strong program so why sweat it. If he's not being motivated and he knows getting a few wins here and there will ensure job security then there you have it.

that's a good find.  I was not aware of this.

Do not attempt to use logic or facts. It does not fit the agenda around here and only confuses people. 

Focus on the final score and make up the rest. 

Situational play selection is the demise of this team. I don't care if they end up exactly 50/50. Look no further than UNT's FIRST offensive possession of the season. 

Technically, they were not a bowl team.

Just get to 6-6 and Mac gets his bonus.

See #hit6 in a whole new light... 

• Upvote 1

So you say our offense is slow? 

Why have we thrown the ball over 30 times the past 2 games?

Let me also add NT is throwing it 34.5 times a game. Last year it was 28.5. NT ranks 51st in pass attempts per game. Last year it was around 100. 

Double check the podcast, but I believe we have only run 120-ish offensive snaps.  FWIW

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Fritz

Real accomplishments with ties to Texas. This guy would be the perfect hire.

Which means it will never happen.

I tend to agree, but you never know until you try. I think he lands a P5 job inside of 4 years. 

Sadly, we don't have an AD that would even look at a candidate like this. 

There is no way we are firing Mac before the end of 2016, more probable is after 2017. Its just a waste of breath to even think that will happen after 2015--Chico will get kicked out because his contract is up, but definitely not the head coach. Mac has it made, as he cruise controls into retirement. He did what he needed to do for himself--earn a good extension. If he gets another--great, but if not, sobeit...

Even then, we aren't buying out another head coaches' contract at another school, either. I don't care if its Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Goergia tech, or freaking Georgia...we ain't buying out anyone's contract--that runs 180 degrees from the UNT Value Way.

Follow the costs, folks...that's how you will find when the replacement will occur and then who might be an option. After 2017, Mac has one year left to be bought out. That's a known cost--those are all we deal with here, all that matters. Then, we will replace that him with either an assistant coach or a FCS/D-2 head coach.

It just amazes me that there are people on here that think we are going to hire to pay a coach over a million dollars to coach here anytime soon. That's not how its done in Denton. Sure, in Jonesboro, Arkansas and Lafayette, Louisiana and some other G5 outposts, that's how its done--not here. Enrollment, location, history, new facilities, better conference, etc...none of the trumps known costs here. It is what it is--you accept it or you leave...the BOR doesn't care which one you choose, either. RV being here 14+ years and an 80% empty Super Pit and what will probably be a 75% empty Apogee at the end of the year has never made a bit of a difference to them.

And for those of you that say, well then just drop the thing down to FCS--beware of what you ask for...its happened here before, and it basically killed the program.

snapping the ball 5 seconds quicker on average isn't up tempo, especially considering how much of the play clock we were using before we went "up tempo." 

Maybe not Air Raid, but saying you are going up tempo indicates you are going to throw the ball more and the offense will be more wide open. How many teams do you know that run a hurry up offense just to run the ball 3 times up the middle? Their is a reason that these offenses don't exist.

It's because they don't work.

I am going to disagree with you on the bolded part, Tempo only refers to how quickly you get to the line and run a play.  Honestly I wish we just went back to the old power stuff if this is what is considered "Up tempo."  We take forever getting to the line we change formations dang near every snap and it is very irritating you can't run tempo stuff and have receivers running to opposite sides of the field constantly.