I'm genuinely interested to know

PRAK

Email Smastrek a competent letter regarding your concerns. Get students together at the athletic complex protesting for a resignation. I personally think people need to quit going to games. Once a firing happens storm the stadium at the next game. It boils down to Smastrek pulling the trigger though. I believe he will, but when is far more important. You don't save a drowning victim after their dead. 

• Upvote 2

As a fellow senior, I completely agree. I'm tired of being ashamed of results. I'm proud of Denton and almost every aspect of UNT. We need to get this athletic ship turned around with a competent and excited AD. I want something to brag about and eventually donate to. 

• Upvote 1

May I direct your attention to the basketball program? People have stopped going to games and buying season tickets, nothing has changed.

I forgot about BB. Shoot... 

I have actually wrote a letter and emailed Smatresk a year ago. Except I never got any feedback. Has anyone ever heard back from him after sending him a letter?

As a fellow senior, I completely agree. I'm tired of being ashamed of results. I'm proud of Denton and almost every aspect of UNT. We need to get this athletic ship turned around with a competent and excited AD. I want something to brag about and eventually donate to. 

This is where change takes place. Until the ol pocketbook takes a hit expect nothing to change. As for me, I will not go anymore and retract my peasant donations. 

Not enough specific data, but I wonder how much $ will be lost with that performance last night, short and long term. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
Add
  • Upvote 1

I have actually wrote a letter and emailed Smatresk a year ago. Except I never got any feedback. Has anyone ever heard back from him after sending him a letter?

Yes. 

This is where change takes place. Until the ol pocketbook takes a hit expect nothing to change. As for me, I will not go anymore and retract my peasant donations. 

Not enough specific data, but I wonder how much $ will be lost with that performance last night, short and long term. 

While not pretty or entertaining to watch (at least offensively), we were leading the game 'on the road' in the 4th quarter.

Yes. 

While not pretty or entertaining to watch (at least offensively), we were leading the game 'on the road' in the 4th quarter.

Yes, we were. Only bc a pretty bad SMU team did everything in their power to allow us to win that game through 3 quarters. With any relevance or competence  at QB we are winning that game 31/24-10 going into the 4th. Davis would have had to actually rely on his arm in the pocket to fuel a comeback. I'm comfortable with that pipedream scenario. 

Yes, we were. Only bc a pretty bad SMU team did everything in their power to allow us to win that game through 3 quarters. With any relevance or competence  at QB we are winning that game 31/24-10 going into the 4th. Davis would have had to actually rely on his arm in the pocket to fuel a comeback. I'm comfortable with that pipedream scenario. 

You are talking about what could have or should have been, I am stating what was.  

All we had to do was play smoo even in the 4th and we would have been singing a different song today.  We didn't, and we aren't.  That's the way football go.

You are talking about what could have or should have been, I am stating what was.  

All we had to do was play smoo even in the 4th and we would have been singing a different song today.  We didn't, and we aren't.  That's the way football go.

The overall product last night from both teams was just plain bad. NT just did worse.  Someone posted a few days ago whichever QB "sucked worse" would lead his team to victory. Man, how truthful was that. Davis was below average for 3 quarters, then played a decent 4th qtr which was enough to lead SMUt to victory...

I didn't even send him a complaint; I sent him a letter about ways to get alumni more involved and bring out-of-touch ones back into the fold, and never heard back.  Maybe we're headed back to the old ways, where it was, "We do want your help; we just want you to help with stuff we ask for.  If we don't ask, don't help; and don't try to do anything on your own."  I sure as hell hope not.

I actually feel that holding back donations and/or attendance is counterproductive.  Support the programs not necessarily the administrative staff. 

The sad truth is that NT has never significantly depended on donations or ticket revenues.  If it did, NT wouldn't have a sports program. NT like a lot of universities depend heavily on student fees and guarantee away games.   If you are not one of the handful of high dollar donors than frankly withholding your support is not significant enough to matter even in the aggravate.   If it was, there would have already been a lot of changes.   

I am all for making your feelings about the program known.  Written or verbal direct communications to the decision makers will make a difference  even if you never get a real response.   I doubt anonymous ranting on message boards will have a lot of sway.   

I really believe a strong argument for change occurred last Saturday and at the Dallas bowl game, and it is just the opposite of withholding your support.   Those two games demonstrated that there is a definite big market and potential for athletics at NT and what could happen with better athletic management. 

• Upvote 2

#UNTADforlife has three years left on his current contract at $375k per year. There is absolutely no way that the BOR here is going to authorize a buyout of that contract this year or next year, then turn around a pay a salary out to a new AD. That is not the UNT way.

Look, I think the guy absolutely sucks at being an AD for a FBS Football program. The football program, since 2001, has gone 64-108 for a .372 winning percentage. If you take away 2002-2004, when Dickey's team had their three winning teams in his tenure, and then start at 2005, we have exactly one winning season, going 40-93, for a .300 winning %.  That span covers three head coaches--all of whom were either hired and/or extended by RV, including the worst hire in the history of the program, Todd Dodge. And with all of that to endure, the BOR has looked at RV's record here and said that winning 30% of your games in the one sport that brings in revenue in the last 10 years, not to mention the utter failures at hiring basketball coaches, and the BOR said, very clearly that the best thing to do here is EXTEND RV.

Until something tells me otherwise, #UNTADforlife is the best title you can give to RV.

Rick V is a Used car salesman. Great talker to a group of people but when numbers start popping up, he back pedals and changes conversations.

Also will lie in those conversations to his benefit. Shade the truth type of lies so he can have the out later of YOU misunderstanding what he said. It's a pathology of a certain personality type. Used car salesman is putting it nicely.

• Upvote 1