Ok...thought this needed its own thread.

Nice start for the U.S. Women with a 3-1 win over a fiesty Australian side.  Also interesting to see games being played on turf.

USA! USA!

• Upvote 2

Ok...thought this needed its own thread.

Nice start for the U.S. Women with a 3-1 win over a fiesty Australian side.  Also interesting to see games being played on turf.

USA! USA!

​If by interesting you mean awful to watch then I agree about that turf. Some turfs are adequate for soccer, but that one wasn't.

​If Australia had played for 90 minutes like they did the 1st 30 then they would have won. But they didn't so shut up.

Sorry to see the Australians...or at least some of them...display such a lack of sportsmanship after getting beat by a better side yesterday in their World Cup opener.  If Australia were a better side with a better game plan, they should have won.  They did not and instead if showing the class they could have and congratulated the U. S. on the win and moved on to their next game, they stoop to calling out the Americans.  Sad.  The fitness of the Australians was suspect after about 60 minutes in.  They ran out of gas just as the Americans were getting their first game jitters out of the way.  So, how many World Cups has Australia won?  How many victories against the U.S.?

i hope the Aussies do well from here on out.  I also hope they keep their sour traps crap-ola to themselves.

• Upvote 1

I guess Solo being the best women's \keeper in the world is something to be mad about.

She's also a NFL class women beater:

Documents reveal new details about Hope Solo's actions last June

"She grabbed him by the head and she kept slamming him into the cement over and over again," Obert told Outside the Lines. "So I came from behind her, and I pulled her over and, you know, to get her off my son. And then, once she got off, she started punching me in the face over and over again."

At about 12:50 a.m., Obert told her son to call 911.

As the dispatcher called Kirkland police, Obert's son shouted into the phone, "Hope Solo is going psychotic; she's f---king beating people up, and we need help."

---

"When [Goguen] called me and told me they had placed [Solo] under arrest and were going to book her, there was no doubt in his mind that she was the primary aggressor," Murray said. "And the other officers, it was clear to them that she was the primary aggressor."

---

It's unclear what, if anything, U.S. Soccer did to look into the case. Obert says neither she nor her son was contacted.

"I was surprised they didn't investigate," she says.

Outside the Lines found no evidence that anyone with U.S. Soccer contacted prosecutors or police involved with the case, either. Public records requests made to the Kirkland Police Department do not appear to reflect any attempt by officials with U.S. Soccer to obtain the police reports from the case. Murray told Outside the Lines he was not aware of anyone from U.S. Soccer contacting the Kirkland police for information about the case.

---

After the incident, a temporary restraining order keeping Solo from having contact with the Oberts was put in place. In January, as the case was being dismissed, Obert applied for and was granted a long-term order. It covers two years and precludes Solo from coming within 1,000 feet of Obert and her son.

Except, of course, if she was an NFL player she would have gotten a ten game suspension. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thought the U.S. Women played a pretty uninspired game yesterday against Sweden.  Their passing was very suspect.  First pass would be good then the second or third a total mess and waste.  Gave the ball up over and over again.  And the offensive attack did seem to be pass it long and hope it hits someone's head in the box.  Got a point out of it and still lead their group, but sure need to play better against Nigeria next week.  In no way looked like the #2 women's team in the world yesterday.  To anyone who loves the game and understands it, this had to be a pretty disappointing outing for the U.S.  Still in the group stage, but could have locked up their group with a win yesterday.  Yes, Sweden is a very good team, and they seemed to take the U.S. Out of its game with some rough play...fair for the most part but rough.  So be it Ladies, this is the World Cup and no one is going to lay down for you because of your number two ranking.

I suspect the U.S. Will beat Nigeria and win its group.  So, it will be interesting to see the strategy going forward.  

USA! USA! USA!

• Upvote 1

I can't find a good enough link that won't inundate people with clickbait popups, but I'm somewhat amused that the whole Women's World Cup on Turf is a "sexist" issue.  I don't think it's sexist as much as it is simply a poor decision to play on such a surface.  

Agree with you.  Bad decision, but really a stretch to call it sexist.  They are saying it is sexist because it would never have even been a consideration to have the men play on turf.  OK, so that's a bit of a stretch, but is what it is.  They all just need to remember that all the teams are playing on the same surface.  I personally don't like it.  Soccer is to be played on grass...period!

That being said.  The U.S. Beat Nigeria tonight 1-0 to win Group D.  Not too surprising.  What is surprising is that Australia tied Sweden to place second in the group.  Sweden came in as the #5 ranked team in the world...spent too much time talking and not enough time playing up to their ranking.  Sweden will now have to wait to see if they make it to the knockout rounds.  But, U.S. Is in and should have a pretty good draw.

Thought the ladies played better tonight.  Created lots of chances, just didn't convert.  Passed much better, but still turned the ball over way too many times.  Will need to step it up a notch from here on out.

USA! USA!

• Upvote 1

I can't find a good enough link that won't inundate people with clickbait popups, but I'm somewhat amused that the whole Women's World Cup on Turf is a "sexist" issue.  I don't think it's sexist as much as it is simply a poor decision to play on such a surface.  

The Men's World Cup would have never been played on turf like this. Sure teams in Sweden and Canada and Russia play their club games on it, but they wouldn't dare doing it for the Men's World Cup. 

• Upvote 1

The Men's World Cup would have never been played on turf like this. Sure teams in Sweden and Canada and Russia play their club games on it, but they wouldn't dare doing it for the Men's World Cup. 

Our son was a goalkeeper in college and played on turf from time to time during his college career.  He said the ball came off that turf in completely different ways than it did on grass and the spin and bounce were very different.  Said he had to be "quicker", no so much "faster" on turf surfaces.  But, he did like that the goal boxes were not all chewed up due to bad weather and that he did not have to slosh around in mud at times!  He always wore long pants and long sleeve jerseys on turf to keep down the ever present turf burns!

Well....US 2 - Columbia 0!  That pretty much sums it up after another fairly uninspiring game by the U.S. women.  But, they are doing enough so far, and, bottom line, that's fine.  But the road gets tougher from here on out...win one more and the U.S. Probably faces Germany.  Play this "kick and run" stuff against Germany and bye bye US ladies.  I thought Rapione, Perry, Morgan had decent games while Wambach showed why this is definitely her last World Cup (and I am not talking about her terribly missed PK...she just leaned back on the kick and wide it went).  Thought the yellow cards were pretty tacky and iffy on the U.S. And now Rapinoe sits for the next game.  Hurts, but not that much in my opinion as the U.S. bench is pretty deep.

By the way...I think Columbia deserves a pat on the back.  They played well against the U.S. And U.S. An indication that women's soccer is gaining momentum in several nations other than the traditional women's power team nations.  Good for them.  They made the U.S. Play their game and defended pretty darn well.

Good to get the win ladies...now, again, pick it up a notch or two...or be on your way home!

Thought the England 1-0 win over Norway was a much more entertaining game.  Also a bigger surprise...first time ever that England has won a game in the knockout rounds.

• Upvote 2

Well....US 2 - Columbia 0!  That pretty much sums it up after another fairly uninspiring game by the U.S. women.  But, they are doing enough so far, and, bottom line, that's fine.  But the road gets tougher from here on out...win one more and the U.S. Probably faces Germany.  Play this "kick and run" stuff against Germany and bye bye US ladies.  I thought Rapione, Perry, Morgan had decent games while Wambach showed why this is definitely her last World Cup (and I am not talking about her terribly missed PK...she just leaned back on the kick and wide it went).  Thought the yellow cards were pretty tacky and iffy on the U.S. And now Rapinoe sits for the next game.  Hurts, but not that much in my opinion as the U.S. bench is pretty deep.

By the way...I think Columbia deserves a pat on the back.  They played well against the U.S. And U.S. An indication that women's soccer is gaining momentum in several nations other than the traditional women's power team nations.  Good for them.  They made the U.S. Play their game and defended pretty darn well.

Good to get the win ladies...now, again, pick it up a notch or two...or be on your way home!

Thought the England 1-0 win over Norway was a much more entertaining game.  Also a bigger surprise...first time ever that England has won a game in the knockout rounds.

I didn't get to watch the entire game so my comments on the yellows should be taken with a grain of salt because I don't have a feel for how the ref was doing in the early going. However, I thought she did a very good to great job in the second half, and from the replays I saw I think she got all the cards right. 

The game kind of reminded me a USMNT game against a good creative side and it didn't look like a game where the U.S. was playing against 10. Credit to Columbia for doing what they could.

• Upvote 1

Well well...pretty much a complete game by the U.S. against Germany yesterday.  The U.S. Midfield pretty darn much owned Germany yesterday.  After holding off Germany's first early charge and then doing the same during a second half surge from Germany, you could see it was pretty much the U.S.'s day.  Pretty much done when Germany pulled a Wambach and went wide left on the PK.  The U.S. Defense has been really really solid during the entire World Cup while patiently waiting for an anemic offense to do just enough to win or draw.  German's looked shocked at how efficient the U.S. Squad played yesterday.  Without a couple of great saves from the German keeper, this thing would have been a rout.  Pretty much surprised me that the U.S. Seemed immune to the powerful German strikers and midfielders.  Darn good players those Germans, but on this day, the U.S. Was clearly and decidedly the better side.  Well done ladies.

Just think...if England beats Japan in today's other semi-final we could have a re-enactment of the Revolutionary War!  The second coming of Lexington and Concord!  Come on England...get it done!

• Upvote 1