UNT students should respect Abbott even if they disagree

The college campus, perhaps more than any other venue, is a place where the free exchange of opposing ideas ought to be welcomed.

Yet it seems that every year around spring graduation time, there is a controversy surrounding a chosen commencement speaker whose well-known ideas or political stands raise objections from some students, faculty members or the general community.

This year such objections are being voiced at the University of North Texas in Denton, where Gov. Greg Abbott has been invited to deliver the keynote graduation address.

Some students, citing Abbott’s “views on inequality” — opposition to immigration reform and gay marriage, in particular, and to Denton’s recent ban on hydraulic fracturing — have asked UNT President Neal Smatresk to un-invite the governor and find a new speaker for the May 16 graduation.

More than 2,000 students have reportedly signed an online petition supporting that position.

Smatresk has said he will stay the course, noting that the new governor’s visit to the university is one way to “celebrate the success of our institution” in its 125th year.

"But a walkout during any part of this solemn event would be disrespectful not only to the governor but also to fellow graduates and to those family members and friends who show up to share what is often regarded as one of life’s most cherished moments."

Yep. But, "respect" for others much less for themselves is far from the norm for many of these "look at me" types. They have no clue what respect entails nor do they care as it is all about them. Just another opportunity to thump their chests and yell "look at me...look at me"!

Happens all the the time these days. No surprise.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

Don't underestimate how important the Facebook "likes" are to these idiots.

haha, this is great.

I just don't get the dying need for attention from these young'ns. I am not too far ahead of them, but there wasn't this much attention hungry antics going on in my early 20's. Granted I was in the military then and being self proclaimed gets you nowhere fast. My high school wasn't much into this, actually wasn't at all into this. Freedom of speech is a great thing and a useful tool when used correctly. This day n age people abuse it to no end, as if anything and everything can be screamed and shouted with no consequence. Just not how it works. This entire fiasco is a true embarrassment to North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

haha, this is great.

I just don't get the dying need for attention from these young'ns. I am not too far ahead of them, but there wasn't this much attention hungry antics going on in my early 20's. Granted I was in the military then and being self proclaimed gets you nowhere fast. My high school wasn't much into this, actually wasn't at all into this. Freedom of speech is a great thing and a useful tool when used correctly. This day n age people abuse it to no end, as if anything and everything can be screamed and shouted with no consequence. Just not how it works. This entire fiasco is a true embarrassment to North Texas.

Very well said. It isn't a partisan issue. It's a class thing. They have none. Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The college campus, perhaps more than any other venue, is a place where the free exchange of opposing ideas ought to be welcomed.

I've got a couple of problems with this op-ed.

First problem: A commencement speech isn't a free exchange of opposing ideas. It's an audience listening to a speaker, not a conversation.

Second problem: I wrote earlier this week that this kind of opposition is to be expected when so-called culture war ideas are central to your platform. We'd be seeing the same kind of discussion if this was Governor Wendy Davis coming here to speak because this is the nature of partisan politics in our contemporary day and age. The culture war issues involved in our recent gubernatorial election and the culture war issues involved in our current legislative session are not sterile policy discussions taking place on a dry erase board. It's a head scratcher to me why we should expect our students who are impacted by these issues to treat them as if they're inconsequential or to treat the Governor who will sign them into law as if he's an unbiased umpire calling policy balls and strikes.

If we or any other higher ed institution bring controversial speakers to university public events, we should be prepared for controversy. The bottom line for me is that controversy isn't a bad thing. It's the nature of our contemporary political system and I think the healthy way to deal with it is to embrace it. Give students an opportunity to protest by walking out or holding up a sign or whatever they choose to do and, at the same time, keep the commencement ceremony going.

If you don't want to deal with controversy, don't court it by inviting a controversial speaker. If you do court controversy, welcome it and be healthy about it.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Again, how many of the 2000 are actually graduating? How many are actually students? And since at least one is from New Mexico, how many are even Texans?

Governors are always controversial. All of them. Always. It's the nature of the job. Governors have spoken at commencements at UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU, Rice and pretty much every other major university. Having the draw to bring in the sitting governor is part showing you are a major university in the state.

Personally, I've no problem with a little controversy. When was the last time a NT commencement speaker made the news?

Just don't go if you don't want to. Express displeasure. Try to get the university to go back having the Assistant Dean for Sanitation as the speaker. Walking out shows they don't care about their fellow students or their families. It demonstrates they are intolerant idiots.

And since at least one is from New Mexico, how many are even Texans?

What does that matter? My girlfriend attends UNT as a New Mexico resident. Governor Abbott's decisions and policy affect her just as much as they do you and I.

And no, she wasn't the New Mexican you're referring to, she didn't sign any petition.

What does that matter? My girlfriend attends UNT as a New Mexico resident. Governor Abbott's decisions and policy affect her just as much as they do you and I.

And no, she wasn't the New Mexican you're referring to, she didn't sign any petition.

From what I read in another post, at least one of the petition signatories not only isn't a student, he or she didn't even live in the state of Texas. They live in New Mexico. Your girlfriend is both a student and lives here.

EDIT:

Never mind! I just read it's not even a real petition but merely an online thing through change.org. Quite literally not worth the paper it would take to print it!

Edited by VideoEagle