Will RV's Terrible Scheduling Continue unabated?

UNT90

I can live with RV's scheduling, at least the conference slate is slightly better than the Belt. My biggest issue with RV is the way too quick new contract for McCarney. I would feel pretty good with McCarney going into his last contract year with NT having an option to go another way if next season is like 2013.

While most fans greatly supported the new contract, there were some that questioned the wisdom of giving a coach an extension based on one good season primarily with Dodge's recruits. McCarney wasn't going anywhere and it just was a risk that didn't have to be taken. Any reasonable person who follows college football even a little, had to have concerns about the continued low rated recruiting classes.

• Upvote 1

I can live with RV's scheduling, at least the conference slate is slightly better than the Belt. My biggest issue with RV is the way too quick new contract for McCarney. I would feel pretty good with McCarney going into his last contract year with NT having an option to go another way if next season is like 2013.

While most fans greatly supported the new contract, there were some that questioned the wisdom of giving a coach an extension based on one good season primarily with Dodge's recruits. McCarney wasn't going anywhere and it just was a risk that didn't have to be taken. Any reasonable person who follows college football even a little, had to have concerns about the continued low rated recruiting classes.

Most people believed that Mac could/can develop players into where we need them to be.

His excuse in one of the post game press conference said a lot. He's not happy with what is on his roster and IMO he doesn't think he can recruit whet he needs/wants at North Texas on a consistent basis. If he didn't think this he would have never have made the comments that he did. I think that he can make some strides in this offseason and the first one should have been the firing of Canales. Now that is over recruiting has to be a huge priority followed closely by finding a competent DC.

I think that Mac needs to turn into a figure head, a face of the program, and commit himself to recruiting. Then let his coordinators and position coaches do their jobs. I think we would see a vast improvement.

• Upvote 1

Anyone notice the malcontents (90/Ben) just shift their argument everytime they are called on their BS.

It's the schedule, it's RV, it's RV contract, it's other posters problem for not sharing my rage, it's the small donor list, it's the fact that they don't personallly call me, it's Mac's contract, it's RV handlng of Mac.

Stop. Just stop.

We are a mid-major program. We play payday games to cover the cost of program. We play fcs games to pad the record. P5 programs don't like to go on the road. That's the reality of modern college football.

All mid-majors face the same chicken and egg delimia of we need more support to grow the program, we need to grow the program to get more support.

Fortunately the new ranking committee might be able to start nudging the top of the college football world in a new direction that may just trickle down.

If the P5 schools stop scheduling fcs games it creates more opportunity for some 2 for 1's with mid-majors.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Anyone notice the malcontents (90/Ben) just shift their argument everytime they are called on their BS.

It's the schedule, it's RV, it's RV contract, it's other posters problem for not sharing my rage, it's the small donor list, it's the fact that they don't personallly call me, it's Mac's contract, it's RV handlng of Mac.

Stop. Just stop.

We are a mid-major program. We play payday games to cover the cost of program. We play fcs games to pad the record. P5 programs don't like to go on the road. That's the reality of modern college football.

All mid-majors face the same chicken and egg delimia of we need more support to grow the program, we need to grow the program to get more support.

Fortunately the new ranking committee might be able to start nudging the top of the college football world in a new direction that may just trickle down.

If the P5 schools stop scheduling fcs games it creates more opportunity for some 2 for 1's with mid-majors.

Good God, only at UNT is this acceptable. :roadrage:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Stop. Just stop.

So it sounds like the AD can't do anything about it.

Why pay him what he's making then?

Get someone cheaper if all the issues we face are out of his control. What the hell do we even need an AD for?

WHAT IS HIS JOB?

• Upvote 2

Good God, only at UNT is this acceptable. :roadrage:

I know right? It's like Texas State San Marcos didnt host Texas Tech and UTSA didnt host Arizona and ULM didnt host Wake Forest and ignore so many of the other mid majors who are out performing us scheduling wise. We're North Texas, so we can't expect to match up.

We deserve what we get because our fans SHAFT themselves.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Stop. Just stop.

Phone call with RV? WTH!! This is EXACTLY what he needs to do LESS OF. I have zero desire to talk to anyone in the AD. What do I want?

For them to do their jobs. For them to be held accountable when they don't. To work less on personal manipulation and more on good scheduling, good coaching hires, and winning athletic teams in the 3 major sports, which will ALL be dismal this year.

If that makes me a malcontent, so be it.

But I expect at least equal results to Arkansas St., ULM, and about any other G5 school out there.

Right now, that isn't happening. At the end if this AD's 14th year...

Perhaps if SHAFT cared to examine scheduling the last 5 years, he would understand that everything isn't what the AD presents. I promise you he hasn't, or else he wouldn't have this opinion.

Expect nothing, get nothing. I guess every fan base has to be good at something...

Edited by UNT90

Since someone mentioned UTSA on their schedule, it looks like the have some equal home/home agreements but there are several 2-for-1 with the Baylor, OK State and Arizona.

2013 - OSU @ UTSA

2014 - UTSA @ OSU

2015 - UTSA @ OSU

2013 - UTSA @ Arizona

2014 - Arizona @ UTSA

2015 - UTSA @ Arizona

2017 - UTSA @ Baylor

2018 - Baylor @ UTSA

2019 - UTSA @ Baylor

Houston - home/home

Colorado State - home/home

Texas State - multiple home/home games from 2017 through 2025

New Mexico - home/home

2 games at Texas A&M with no return game.

It appears the UTSA Athletic Department is more willing to schedule 2-for-1's and have managed to make the schedule balance. Starting in 2016 UTSA currently only has 1 home OOC listed and none in 2017.

• Upvote 1

Since someone mentioned UTSA on their schedule, it looks like the have some equal home/home agreements but there are several 2-for-1 with the Baylor, OK State and Arizona.

2013 - OSU @ UTSA

2014 - UTSA @ OSU

2015 - UTSA @ OSU

2013 - UTSA @ Arizona

2014 - Arizona @ UTSA

2015 - UTSA @ Arizona

2017 - UTSA @ Baylor

2018 - Baylor @ UTSA

2019 - UTSA @ Baylor

Houston - home/home

Colorado State - home/home

Texas State - multiple home/home games from 2017 through 2025

New Mexico - home/home

2 games at Texas A&M with no return game.

It appears the UTSA Athletic Department is more willing to schedule 2-for-1's and have managed to make the schedule balance. Starting in 2016 UTSA currently only has 1 home OOC listed and none in 2017.

In only their 2nd year in FBS? Amazing!

Rick

• Downvote 1

In only their 2nd year in FBS? Amazing!

Rick

And UTSA has yet to beat a P5 school. We can at least claim Indiana from 2013. Their schedule may have looked pretty but how is it going to pan out past next year?

When our fans scoff at schools like Texas State, ULL, etc because we feel we are "above" them, we eliminate about a dozen or so potential opponents we can bring into Apogee. Many of those schools are within a reasonable distance to travel to as well.

Some have said they don't want to bring in many of the P5 schools to watch North Texas get drubbed, so who is left? At best a few dozen potential G5 candidates really. If those schools are doing what UTSA is basically doing (2-for-1's, one or two away games with no return trips, and the occasional home/home series) then our options to schedule a "favorable" (aka winnable) home opponent is much more difficult. Remember that more than half of the FBS schools belong to the P5!

Life as a G5 school is hard. The struggle is real.

And UTSA has yet to beat a P5 school. We can at least claim Indiana from 2013. Their schedule may have looked pretty but how is it going to pan out past next year?

When our fans scoff at schools like Texas State, ULL, etc because we feel we are "above" them, we eliminate about a dozen or so potential opponents we can bring into Apogee. Many of those schools are within a reasonable distance to travel to as well.

Some have said they don't want to bring in many of the P5 schools to watch North Texas get drubbed, so who is left? At best a few dozen potential G5 candidates really. If those schools are doing what UTSA is basically doing (2-for-1's, one or two away games with no return trips, and the occasional home/home series) then our options to schedule a "favorable" (aka winnable) home opponent is much more difficult. Remember that more than half of the FBS schools belong to the P5!

Life as a G5 school is hard. The struggle is real.

I do not scoff at ULL. Please bring them in for a home n home. I would like to host them and I would love to go down to their place. In athletics, we are not above them in anything. If anything, they are above us in athletics and they are in an "inferior" conference, or so we're told. I would softly applaud RV for bringing in ULL, especially for a 1 and done. I would be content with a 1/1 as well though. It's a regional game that would put butts in seats and they would bring fans. I also think if we can find a QB it would be a good, exciting football game as well.

But RV hasn't done this. His best OOC home game to date was Indiana (and wouldn't ya know we won at home) and that's becoming a distant memory. Second best..Ball St. Outside of that it's been horrible, particularly of recent.

BOR, please fire RV.

Oh and Shaft, I have never spoken with RV nor care to, ever.

I want something that is severely lacking in our athletic department, energy. That's it. A man/woman that can come in and put positive vibes into athletics and put his/her fingerprints all over everything. What we have is the polar opposite. What RV is doing is not worth 250k+ and for anyone to argue this is either buddy, buddy with him or completely ignorant.

• Downvote 1

Stop. Just stop.

Damn--there's a whole lot of "acceptance" here...are you a big donor, by any chance? or do you work at the school? or serve on the BOR?

This notion that "big donors" do not care about winning, or accept losing is ridiculous. The notion that there is no "plan" in place is ridiculous. Right now the plan is football is Dan McCarney's plan, and he had us playing on new years day a year ago. Its not a high school plan, its not a college plan, its Dan McCarney's plan.

Bill Parcels once said two things that really hold true here. #1. You can't just call 1-800-quarterback. and #2. You are what you are. A good football team doesn't go 4-8 against this schedule that we had this year. Fix problem #1, and #2 should fall in place nicely.

This notion that "big donors" do not care about winning, or accept losing is ridiculous. The notion that there is no "plan" in place is ridiculous. Right now the plan is football is Dan McCarney's plan, and he had us playing on new years day a year ago. Its not a high school plan, its not a college plan, its Dan McCarney's plan.

Bill Parcels once said two things that really hold true here. #1. You can't just call 1-800-quarterback. and #2. You are what you are. A good football team doesn't go 4-8 against this schedule that we had this year. Fix problem #1, and #2 should fall in place nicely.

So what the hell is the DMac plan? 1 winning season every 4 years, yeah that is a fantastic f****n plan, that will bring donors and fans out like crazy. It is the coaches fault we have no QB play, it is the coaches fault we do not have HIS horses in place to carry on and build off of a bowl game. Hell I would have been happy 6-6 or 7-5, but 4-8 is unacceptable after a bowl year and it all lays squarely at the PLAN DMac has. So if this is the plan, then I might as well get off the bus before it crash and burns.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So what the hell is the DMac plan? 1 winning season every 4 years, yeah that is a fantastic f****n plan, that will bring donors and fans out like crazy. It is the coaches fault we have no QB play, it is the coaches fault we do not have HIS horses in place to carry on and build off of a bowl game. Hell I would have been happy 6-6 or 7-5, but 4-8 is unacceptable after a bowl year and it all lays squarely at the PLAN DMac has. So if this is the plan, then I might as well get off the bus before it crash and burns.

I agree with everything you say here. The quarterback play this year, the handling of the best talent we had at the position, all a train wreck. Would have been better off starting mcnulty every game.

is trey norris the kid that "didn't make the cut" the year t.b. got here?

No, no, you've got it all wrong.

Trey helped host P.J. Hardwick earlier in the summer of 2012. Worked pretty aggressively to sell him on coming here. At that point, we were full on scholarships. Then, we brought on T.J. Taylor in late July.

At the same time, and by very fortunate coincidence... Trey immediately (within 12-24 hours, as I recall) decided he'd rather not play here anymore, and would rather take his talents to South Dakota instead of playing with the guys he knew from years of high school and AAU metroplex ball. Including future NBA draft pick (presumed lottery pick, at the time) Tony Mitchell and a team that was described in our promotional pieces as the most talented in school history.

Sure, he may have put out tweets to the effect of being heartbroken and confused, and the official story that he wanted more playing time didn't jive with the fact that he helped sell another PG on joining the team just a few weeks earlier... But that's definitely what happened. And, 4 weeks before the semester started, Trey discovered his passion for South Dakota winters, and completely independently decided he wanted to leave North Texas.

Benford didn't "cut" anyone, and we certainly didn't intimate we'd need to pull his scholarship (even though we couldn't actually provide scholarships for everyone we were committed to educating at that time). Trey, with tears in his eyes, made a personal choice to leave, completely on his own and for his own reasons.

Now, ask me about Cody Hopkins and his passionate, sincere, advanced academic interest in Master's level General Studies.

I agree with everything you say here. The quarterback play this year, the handling of the best talent we had at the position, all a train wreck. Would have been better off starting mcnulty every game.

The same McNulty that was allowed to throw 4 passes in the 2nd half against FIU?

That guy?

We have not a one FBS QB in our top 3. No one knows about Means yet, but expecting him to come in and set the world on fire is kinda redick.

Was that a part of the "football plan" put in place 4 years ago.

FOUR YEARS AGO.

Last season buys DMac some leeway. That leeway is gone now. He needs to show that he can fix the problem next year or face consequences.

Oh, wait... This is the same university that is perfectly ok leaving a career AD in place for a decade and a half despite few tangible accomplishments in the 3 major sports.

Ya, this will end well.