Mac said it well after the game

Harry

I'd bet that McNulty will start next year...Greer or WIlliams won't be here, but Mini Mac will be. And he'll be sold to everyone as the next Derek Thompson--a senior QB that will manage the offense. Just wait...

Unfortunately this wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'd bet that McNulty will start next year...Greer or WIlliams won't be here, but Mini Mac will be. And he'll be sold to everyone as the next Derek Thompson--a senior QB that will manage the offense. Just wait...

I doubt it. Means can't be worse than those three, and we'll likely sign one or two others. No way Mac goes into December/January believing he has what he needs and QB on the roster either in terms of the starter or depth.

Scholarships are only year grants. It time for McCarney to not renew a couple or three.

And if you think that's harsh, consider...students on academic scholarship must maintain a certain GPA to keep their academic scholarships. So, why should athletes who repeatedly prove that they can't cut it at this level continue to get free rides? Cut them lose and let them transfer to FCS or DII schools better suited for the talent levels.

• Upvote 1

I doubt it. Means can't be worse than those three, and we'll likely sign one or two others. No way Mac goes into December/January believing he has what he needs and QB on the roster either in terms of the starter or depth.

Scholarships are only year grants. It time for McCarney to not renew a couple or three.

And if you think that's harsh, consider...students on academic scholarship must maintain a certain GPA to keep their academic scholarships. So, why should athletes who repeatedly prove that they can't cut it at this level continue to get free rides? Cut them lose and let them transfer to FCS or DII schools better suited for the talent levels.

I agree completely on your last part, but what have you seen out of Dan McCarney that makes you believe that MiniMac won't be the starting QB next year? If Means could play, he'd be playing right now, in my opinion. Maybe he improves in the spring and over the summer, but until he shows me anything different, MiniMac is gonna get the nod as the starter. McCarney trusts him more than he does all of the other QBs on the roster, combined. Its ridiculous, but that is clearly what is going on at this program right now.

Mac also has to worry about his job beyond MiniMac's eligibility.

I don't think Greer, Williams, or McNulty are FBS material, so I think the competition is open in the spring. I'd cut Greer and Williams loose art the end of the year by not renewing their scholarships.

I'd pull McNulty's as well since he has been here for four years. He should be getting his degree and voluntarily hanging up his cleats.

• Downvote 1

I have no idea how often scholarships are pulled without a head coaching change? It might happen a lot, but I haven't heard about it. I don't think that a school having a hard time recruiting QBs wants to become known for cutting people who don't perform. I know for certain high school coaches would tell their players to avoid such a place!

Edited by VideoEagle

There is a reason that Mini Mac did not start until there were no other options.

He won't start next year. If he does, I may join the frats on the hill during the game.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Yea, it much easier to recruit to Rice with that awesome following.

I was thinking that during the entire game, Rice has done great lately and yet there is no fan support. The stadium looked horribly empty, i kept thinking why would these kids pick rice over the Meangreen? So they can play in an empty stadium???

Why not the Meangreen?

Coach Mac made me very nervous with the Dickey act, sounds like someone who is beat and looking for excuses, not good.

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have no idea how often scholarships are pulled without a head coaching change? It might happen a lot, but I haven't heard about it. I don't think that a school having a hard time recruiting QBs wants to become known for cutting people who don't perform. I know for certain high school coaches would tell their players to avoid such a place!

Good. We don't need high school coaches who oversell their lazy QBs.

• Downvote 1

I can't recall ever hearing of a football player whose scholarship was just yanked from under him. I've known of times when coaches have "encouraged" their players to leave in different ways, and times when they have helped them to secure a scholarship somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

They must have had all of 2,500 people in that stadium that is covered in tarps. Who wouldn't want to play there.

Edited by Grant.UNT
  • Upvote 1

I agree completely on your last part, but what have you seen out of Dan McCarney that makes you believe that MiniMac won't be the starting QB next year? If Means could play, he'd be playing right now, in my opinion. Maybe he improves in the spring and over the summer, but until he shows me anything different, MiniMac is gonna get the nod as the starter. McCarney trusts him more than he does all of the other QBs on the roster, combined. Its ridiculous, but that is clearly what is going on at this program right now.

Completely agree. As you mentioned, if Means could play, he would playing right now. Because of this, Mac will go with more experience in McNulty and he will be our starter next season.

I guess we have a commitment now of a QB right? I mean since we are so lacking, surely we have one that has said they will sign here?

I would assume most people who go to Rice aren't that concerned with the stands being filled -- football players included. Most C-USA players aren't going to make a living playing football. So you choose a school that has value after the days of playing are over. Rice has that. And Rice will always have that.

So, what does NT offer above and beyond other peer institutions? Why is Coach Mac (and others) wrong about UNT being a tough place to recruit to? Aside from "because we all think otherwise."

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3

I would assume most people who go to Rice aren't that concerned with the stands being filled -- football players included. Most C-USA players aren't going to make a living playing football. So you choose a school that has value after the days of playing are over. Rice has that. And Rice will always have that.

So, what does NT offer above and beyond other peer institutions? Why is Coach Mac (and others) wrong about UNT being a tough place to recruit to? Aside from "because we all think otherwise."

Numbers...fourth most popular state school. Location...the DFW area is popular because it is close to so many different venues and is very easy to get to. Programs...NT offers a hundred different fields of study including a large number of masters and doctorate programs. Academics...while it may be lost in the upper middle it is rising and shouldn't be a deterrent for scholars. SAT/ACT scores are higher than most of those that we are competing against. Diversity...you should never feel alone as North Texas has a widely diverse campus. Social Life...the university has long been known for its friendliness. Facilities...nice campus buildings, athletic facilities, and leisure hours facilities.

I may have missed something but in every category that I could think of UNT was slightly above average to well above average. I think that it compares favorably with all G5 competitors. It might even be attractive to some P5 level talent that is not interested in a professional football career.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2

We have a great freaking school to recruit to. My niece went to one volleyball camp and wants to be Mean Green. She's working like heck at Lynch and in club to get noticed by the coach even more at next years camp.

We are Mean Green!!!!!

Numbers...fourth most popular state school. Location...the DFW area is popular because it is close to so many different venues and is very easy to get to. Programs...NT offers a hundred different fields of study including a large number of masters and doctorate programs. Academics...while it may be lost in the upper middle it is rising and shouldn't be a deterrent for scholars. SAT/ACT scores are higher than most of those that we are competing against. Diversity...you should never feel alone as North Texas has a widely diverse campus. Social Life...the university has long been known for its friendliness. Facilities...nice campus buildings, athletic facilities, and leisure hours facilities.

I may have missed something but in every category that I could think of UNT was slightly above average to well above average. I think that it compares favorably with all G5 competitors. It might even be attractive to some P5 level talent that is not interested in a professional football career.

Fourth most popular or fourth most populous? Because we're hardly known outside the DFW area.

But I agree with the rest of what you said and while I'm not an athlete in any sense of the word, they are many of the reasons why I went to UNT -- and stayed at UNT. So you don't have to sell me.

My initial question was mostly rhetorical. I love UNT. I could give anyone who asked me why a long list of reasons. So I'll offer another question: why can't we sell it to football players?

Why do guys pick "area" Louisiana schools not named LSU over UNT? Is it really as simple as a culture of winning? Or does local talent prefer to stay close to home... but not so close they are playing in their own backyard?

What the hell makes this job so "hard?"

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1

I can't recall ever hearing of a football player whose scholarship was just yanked from under him. I've known of times when coaches have "encouraged" their players to leave in different ways, and times when they have helped them to secure a scholarship somewhere else.

Really?? It's called "a violation of team rules." Show up late to anything, miss curfew on a road trip or at the team hotel for home games, get a speeding ticket, etc. If they want you gone you'll get gone pretty quickly. This mainly happens at P5, but I'm all for it too. If you aren't performing at the level that is expected than you shouldn't get handed a free ride just for the sake of pleasing high school coaches. GMG
  • Upvote 1

Fantastic post. Great points.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think Greer, Williams, or McNulty are FBS material, so I think the competition is open in the spring. I'd cut Greer and Williams loose art the end of the year by not renewing their scholarships.

DT wasnt a D1 qb until his 5th year. You cant be serious about a sophmore and redshirt freshman not being FBS material.

Im sure I just wasted my time...nevermind

• Upvote 1