Can't wait to see DaJon again.

Harry

I believe DW will start to look at other receivers as he get more experience. He and CH are pretty close from what I have seen, so it is pretty natural DW looks for CH first, especially in the Indiana game. Hopefully, it is been a point of emphasis to go through his progressions during practice this week.

• Upvote 1

I look forward to watching him every game the rest of his career. This job is his to keep for the next 3.5 seasons if he keeps his head on straight and continues to learn. If some more pieces are added to the puzzle he could be a dynamic player as soon as next year. If the offense starts to really click by seasons end and a cohesion is built in the offseason then we will give Iowa everything they want. This is of course looking way too far ahead...beat UAB. GMG

I look forward to watching him every game the rest of his career. This job is his to keep for the next 3.5 seasons if he keeps his head on straight and continues to learn. If some more pieces are added to the puzzle he could be a dynamic player as soon as next year. If the offense starts to really click by seasons end and a cohesion is built in the offseason then we will give Iowa everything they want. This is of course looking way too far ahead...beat UAB. GMG

There will be an open QB competition in the spring. He will have to win the job.

Not a bit. Means will be given a chance to win the job, as will whatever QB we sign this year.

That's the way Mac likes to roll. I think it will also be an intended message to DW that he needs to work harder in the weight room and conditioning drills. Remember, DW only got the starting job because the only other option was a true freshman.

And before everyone piles on, I think DW is clearly the most talented QB on the roster. I do question his work ethic and am not foolish enough to believe the problems magically disappeared simply because we had no other options at QB.

Hopefully, DW learns better habits.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

Ok. Sorry. I softened up your language and now agree with you.

DW is our QB for the next 3.5 year barring injury.

Based on 205 yards passing and 2 INTs in his only start against real competition?

Some would say... Gasp!!!... Those are sophomore DT numbers. And they wouldn't be happy when they said it.

Look, I get the guy is talented. But the guy also pissed away the opportunity to win the job in the spring and fall against zero competition.

There will be open competition in the spring that will probably bleed over into the fall.

If you'd stop thinking with your Mean Green heart and start thinking with your brain, you would know this.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Based on 205 yards passing and 2 INTs in his only start against real competition?

Some would say... Gasp!!!... Those are sophomore DT numbers. And they wouldn't be happy when they said it.

Look, I get the guy is talented. But the guy also pissed away the opportunity to win the job in the spring and fall against zero competition.

There will be open competition in the spring that will probably bleed over into the fall.

If you'd stop thinking with your Mean Green heart and start thinking with your brain, you would know this.

So we had to wait and see him on more than one drive and he looked good against second team defense.

We had to wait and see him start and he looked good against an fcs team.

We had to wait and see him start and he looked good for a redshirt freshman making a start on the road in big 10 territory. Actually the same stats as DT vs a terrible Indiana team that was played at apogee.

Now we have to wait and see in the spring?

Last spring he lost the job because of a fractured ankle?

The summer he misses volunteer workouts because he was home in Austin with his 7 and 8 month pregnant girlfriend?

There will be great competition in the spring and it will be every position except QB.

The running backs are too many to share the ball, who is going to step up at wideout, can we get passing to the tight end consistent, who will start at oline, will our dline improve, can we find a playmaking linebacker, and can we find a cornerback who can play man vs a playmaker?

• Upvote 3

If Dajon ends up being 100% in his commitment, there probably will not be open competition for the QB spot. But UNT90 is right--Coach Mac typically does not like to hand starting spots to anybody, QBs included. Derek Thompson had been a 2-year starter, and Coach Mac still opened up the competition for the starting spot for the 2013 season. And there wasn't anybody to throw into the mix who was nearly as capable as I believe Connor Means will end up being.

• Upvote 2

So we had to wait and see him on more than one drive and he looked good against second team defense.

We had to wait and see him start and he looked good against an fcs team.

We had to wait and see him start and he looked good for a redshirt freshman making a start on the road in big 10 territory. Actually the same stats as DT vs a terrible Indiana team that was played at apogee.

Now we have to wait and see in the spring?

Last spring he lost the job because of a fractured ankle?

The summer he misses volunteer workouts because he was home in Austin with his 7 and 8 month pregnant girlfriend?

There will be great competition in the spring and it will be every position except QB.

The running backs are too many to share the ball, who is going to step up at wideout, can we get passing to the tight end consistent, who will start at oline, will our dline improve, can we find a playmaking linebacker, and can we find a cornerback who can play man vs a playmaker?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Conditioning is immensely important in the avoidance of injury. Part of the frustrations this staff has (and for all the public love being shown DW, make no mistake that privately that frustration is still current) is DW failing to take part in off season conditioning. Which leads to injury. Did that slip that big old Mean Green heart you think with?

I've said since DW took the reins I just hope he can stay upright the rest of the year. Because of his failure in the off-season workout program.

QB will be wide open in the spring unless DW has drastically changed his habits in a 3 week span. That is extremely hard for a 20 year old to do.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

DT had two 3 TD pass games in his career. DW already has two, in his first two starts. DW has over half as many touchdown passes in 2 starts as sophomore DT had in a whole season. And before you give the whole "he never played against we-suck-at-football state," line.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/gamecast?gameId=322520249&version=mobile&src=desktop

DT was good enough to lead us to a bowl win, but there's a reason so many of us are excited to watch DW play today. He gives us a chance to win, basically every week because of his talent, and he's growing every day and certainly every week. It's fun to watch a playmaker as opposed to a game-manager look from our qb. It's also fun to watch a talent like this develop.

In order for there to be an open competition, DW's progression would have to completely stop still where it is now, he'd have to completely stopping giving a crap, and Means (a guy who completed 49% passes and had 10:9 td to int ratio last year in HS) would have to make tremendous strides. Means does look promising, but he's a guy who could still use some time to develop. DW is capable right now, and after the rest of the season he should have things locked down, at the rate he's progressing.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4

DT had two 3 TD pass games in his career. DW already has two, in his first two starts. DW has over half as many touchdown passes in 2 starts as sophomore DT had in a whole season. And before you give the whole "he never played against we-suck-at-football state," line.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/gamecast?gameId=322520249&version=mobile&src=desktop

DT was good enough to lead us to a bowl win, but there's a reason so many of us are excited to watch DW play today. He gives us a chance to win, basically every week because of his talent, and he's growing every day and certainly every week. It's fun to watch a playmaker as opposed to a game-manager look from our qb. It's also fun to watch a talent like this develop.

In order for there to be an open competition, DW's progression would have to completely stop still where it is now, he'd have to completely stopping giving a crap, and Means (a guy who completed 49% passes and had 10:9 td to int ratio last year in HS) would have to make tremendous strides. Means does look promising, but he's a guy who could still use some time to develop. DW is capable right now, and after the rest of the season he should have things locked down, at the rate he's progressing.

A lot of projection in your post. And no, McNeese St. doesn't mean a thing. We get a good feel for what DW will be the rest of the season today.

All I'm saying is stop anointing him the next Johnny Football and just enjoy whatever progress he makes this year. And there is every possibility that someone new is under center next year.

2 of DW's 3 TDs against Indiana came long after the game had been decided. Keep in mind we were down 42-10 entering the 4th.

Edited by UNT90