Five quick thoughts on UNT’s loss to Indiana

Harry

Here are five quick thoughts following UNT’s 49-24 loss to Indiana:

1. Dajon Williams still has some growing to do

The redshirt freshman quarterback sent expectations way of of whack by accounting for five touchdowns in a 77-3 win over Nicholls State. He looked a whole lot more like a redshirt freshman against Indiana, throwing for 205 yards and three touchdowns with two interceptions.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2014/10/five-quick-thoughts-on-unts-loss-to-indiana.html/

As a former FB assistant once said" potential means you ain't done shit yet". Vito was very kind as we lost to a very mediocre team and like LaTech made them look much better than what they are. Mac and staff had extremely poor preparation for having an open date!!!

Indiana is not a very mediocre team

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

5 things I took away from this game.

1. Dajon, a RS freshman starting against a Big 10 school on the road, looked better at the end of the game than at the beginning of the game. He could have folded but didn't. He kept his composure. I'll be excited to watch him for next 4 years.

2. As the recievers get on the same page with the QB, the passing game could be really good.

3. Our defense must jell quickly if we are to make a solid bowl run.

4. I would like to see more of our speed backs. Evans had 1 carry for 7 yards.

5. Our best football is ahead of us.

• Upvote 5

I don't think I saw a single mention on here all day about how badass Antoinne Jimmerson played. I know many on here aren't huge fans because he dances a lot in the backfield, but dude made plays today. 119 yards from scrimmage on 13 touches. Dude was making plays. O-line did a solid job blocking for him too.

With the offense molded around Dajon, we're probably going to see less Pegram and more of Jimmerson, Wilson, and some Evans and Ivery sprinkled in. Pegram left some yards on the field because he doesn't have the acceleration of the other guys. He'll still get the ball under center and in short yardage, but in the gun playing more in space those other guys are better fits.

• Upvote 4

As a former FB assistant once said" potential means you ain't done shit yet". Vito was very kind as we lost to a very mediocre team and like LaTech made them look much better than what they are. Mac and staff had extremely poor preparation for having an open date!!!

Wow. You just don't get it.

News flash everyone! This was a rebuilding year. Say it out loud...RE-BUILD-ING. Maybe you're new here! This is a G5 team. The lowest returning starters in the country (especially key areas) team. They are trying, learning, fighting.

They just aren't good enough...yet. Deal with it. Expectations are bs.

• Upvote 2

we lost to a very mediocre team

While this may be true, show me who's left on our schedule who's not at least a 14 point underdog to this "mediocre team."

They are not mediocre by G5 standards. I dare say they would be in position to win any G5 conference.

• Upvote 1

I don't think I saw a single mention on here all day about how badass Antoinne Jimmerson played. I know many on here aren't huge fans because he dances a lot in the backfield, but dude made plays today. 119 yards from scrimmage on 13 touches. Dude was making plays. O-line did a solid job blocking for him too.

Jimmerson made plays because he STOPPED DANCING. He made a quick decision, took that one cut and ran down hill. Which is what he does when he is effective. Dance at the second level to make a DB miss in space, not behind the LOS where everyone is packed in. I hope he keeps it up. That one cut and run like hell approach will get him a ton of yards.

News flash everyone! This was a rebuilding year. Say it out loud...RE-BUILD-ING. Maybe you're new here! This is a G5 team.

NEWSFLASH: The fact we are in a G5 conference means that even in a rebuilding year we face soft enough competition that we have a chance to get to bowl eligibility. We have seven conference games left. If we can go 4-3 we'll get to eligibility and a real chance at a bowl invite. 5-2 and we are a lock.