La. Tech matchup concerns

UNT90

For those who don't remember last year's game, we tried to run the ball down their throats for the 1st two quarters and failed miserably.

Their defensive front 7 are all upperclassmen. We are going to have to rediscover the forward pass if we hope to win this football game.

That said, tech did give up 178 on the ground against a pretty good ULL team (although 82 was to QB Broadway, and we don't have a running QB) Offensively, Tech threw for 295 and ran for 238, which included a 99 yard TD run by Dixon. Can anyone remember how to say offensive balance? Tech was also turnover free.

Unlike us, Tech has found a really good answer to their QB situation. While we try to rebuild the confidence of our starter, they have a guy making plays and making a difference (Sokol averaged 8.9 yards per attempt yesterday).

Thursday should be very interesting, and is a very pivotal game in a very pivotal season.

Go Mean Green.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I am a little concerned…..

I don't think there's any doubt La Tech will put 8-9 in the box and absolutely sell out to stop the run.

I'm not sure we'll be able to push La Tech around like we did SMU. If we can't…..We're going to have to stretch the field.

Our D is going to have continue to dominate. I'm still very concerned about our offense. I don't believe we've put together a long sustained drive yet this year. Two of our TDs were scored on defense and we've been given short fields.

And this game is absolutely critical…..we do not want to start 0-1 in conference in a game we'll more than like be favored.

If we want the offense to gel start DW. It is the obvious answer. When none of your QB's are doing well at least put your best athlete at QB. And yes, DW is our best athlete at the QB position. And no, it's not because he is black. Run the ball and I am certain that DW can do AT LEAST what our other QB's have done to this point. He adds a different dimension though. START DW!!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

If we want the offense to gel start DW. It is the obvious answer. When none of your QB's are doing well at least put your best athlete at QB. And yes, DW is our best athlete at the QB position. And no, it's not because he is black. Run the ball and I am certain that DW can do AT LEAST what our other QB's have done to this point. He adds a different dimension though. START DW!!!!

Who's faster, DW or Andrew?

For those who don't remember last year's game, we tried to run the ball down their throats for the 1st two quarters and failed miserably.

Their defensive front 7 are all upperclassmen. We are going to have to rediscover the forward pass if we hope to win this football game.

That said, tech did give up 178 on the ground against a pretty good ULL team (although 82 was to QB Broadway, and we don't have a running QB) Offensively, Tech threw for 295 and ran for 238, which included a 99 yard TD run by Dixon. Can anyone remember how to say offensive balance? Tech was also turnover free.

Unlike us, Tech has found a really good answer to their QB situation. While we try to rebuild the confidence of our starter, they have a guy making plays and making a difference (Sokol averaged 8.9 yards per attempt yesterday).

Thursday should be very interesting, and is a very pivotal game in a very pivotal season.

Go Mean Green.

SMU thought their defensive front 7 was the strength of their team too. Lest we forget we've got a couple of potential nfl players on our offensive line.

I don't think anyone in conference will be a pushover except for southern miss an the Florida schools. Even UTEP looked good.

Except for our freshman RB, we have not given La Tech anything new to look at on tape regarding our offense.I seem to recall that Coach Canales mentioned some other freshmen in his tweets this fall. Since this game really counts, could it be that we'll see another freshman or two out there on offense. I'm still not impressed with Greer, but maybe this is the game that he is given the opportunity to go more "vertical" with his passing.

BTW, what has happened to Cameron Brown? (#87 on your program) During spring that guy was doing a very good Darnell Smith imitation.

This is where a qb like Dw comes in handy, able to scramble and keep the D guessing. Since he won't be starting we need to figure out how to pass and soon or else they will just put 8 in the box.

You can't relie on your D the whole season at some point the offense will need to step up. Did we even threaten a deep pass once against smu? I remember a few passes further then 15 yards being under thrown. This won't cut it.

Yeah, credit to Greer for moving around yesterday and finding the open receiver a couple times. His arm strength in my opinion is in question and that may be why we haven't seen any called vertical throws. We also all know McNulty's arm isn't any stronger. DW has to be thrown into the fire. He is the best viable option at QB to consistently win football games. 5 turnovers won't be an every week occurrence and we will soon be put to the test offensively. Then what? Put your best option in the game at all positions that gives you the best shot at W's. Start DW!!!! Give this man a chance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

DW did not take caremof buisness when he needed to. According to Mac, he missed practices and does not know the entire playbook. He only needs to look in the mirror to see why he is not starting or playing any meaningful minutes. I would rather see McNulty start than Greer. Greer holds on to the ball for too long and is indecisive.

McNulty is a turnover machine.

Look, this wasn't meant to be a "start DW" or a "Greer and McNulty suck" thread. Just pointing out that there is going to come a game where we are unable to run the football and will need a threat of a downfield forward pass to keep the defense honest.

And I have a feeling La. Tech could be that game.

Edited by UNT90

If DW has earned his way out of Mac's dog house, and that's up to Mac not us, then I hope he gets some playing time to see what he's got.

If that doesn't happen then I have faith in Mac to make what we've got work. He's earned that much...or does nobody remember how this defense that got into UT's backfield and punished SMU all game long was supposed to struggle due to "too many losses to graduation"?

• Upvote 5

I just got done watching that La Tech ULL game from yesterday and came away rather impressed. La Tech imrpoved. A LOT. They were tenacious and forced a load of turnovers. Their QB can burn people deep. Despite our experience I still feel that is our weakest spot on D.

On offense it is not impossible to run on them, but I would say its easier to run wide than inside. They did look solid though, ULL is also a real team, and ULL got stomped. Ok we stomped a team of our own, but in ULL-SMU I would take ULL.

p.s. Greer is gonna start. He improved his stock in game 2, and it is possible to pass on LaTech, so we should not only think run. On the other hand, it is worriesome that Greer leads his receivers so often with his eyes, LaTech used that habit of ULLs QB quite a bit for turnovers. But then again, we don't really have a QB who doesn't have that habit.

La tech is going to force our QB to beat them. Their back 7 is experienced and a lot better than a SMU. We are going to have problems. The zone read is a waste. Let's go two back sets. Greer is not a threat to run and he wants no part of it.

If our offense and play calling is similar to the SMU game, we will not score much at all. La tech is going to try and play more careful than SMU also. We can't count on horrible special team decisions like SMU.

I think we need to play Dajon in some capacity. Maybe not start, but we need either him or mcnulty to add an extra dimension running. Evans needs touches also. He is a home run threat. We really have enough backs for a two back set.

• Upvote 1

After the Texas game, Mac said "we must be the most improved team in the country next week." In many ways, we saw evidence that the players cashed the check Mac wrote with that statement. One area that they did not concerns me for Thurs...

Week 1: 6 penalties / 56 yards

Week 2: 15 penalties / 139 yards

That 111 yards/game average is good for #126 in the country. La Tech has averaged 33.5 penalty yards per game (#30 nationally).

This disparity cannot continue if we expect to win Thursday night.

QB Play still concerns me. Need to establish some sort of rhythm for Greer with some easy passes. Need the run game to be on point like it has been.

Hoping all the pre-snap and post-play penalties can be addressed this week.

Defense does not concern me. The D-line will be fine, and the second Dixon runs into Wallace/Akunne/Lee, he's going to be running on eggshells for the remainder of the game... if he remains in the game.

• Upvote 1