Who would you start at QB vs SMU ?

NT03

We knew that we didn't have an experienced QB when the season started, and will take our lumps early in the season until one appears.Having said that, I certainly didn't think our performance at Texas would be "worst then terrible" as my Army D.I. was fond of saying. Otherwise, at first blush I still think we have a decent chance at 7&5.

Stick with Greer as the starter for the full week of practice and get him as many reps with the 1s as possible.

Work DW and Means into the mix periodically throughout the week.

Start Greer for the full first half against SMU. If his performance improves, great! If not, give Dajon and Means opportunities in the second half and see what they can do.

• Upvote 2

I honestly think Greer will and should start. If he won that job he deserves a chance to redeem himself in front of his home crowd. Get him some quick, easy throws to guys like Carlos Harris, Darvin Kidsy, and Jeffery Wilson. Get that completion percentage up, let those guys YAC it up, and get the crowd behind him and we could see a completely different Josh Greer from what we saw yesterday.

That being said, if we still can't throw the ball with Greer or Mcnulty then Dajon really should be given a shot.

• Upvote 1

How do you think Mac and Chico would respond to a "Da-jon" chant in the third quarter Saturday if things are going just as poorly?

That sounds like a terrible way to completely undermined our experienced and proven coaching staff's decisions in front of the players, fans, and visitors.

If you want to put salt in the wound of a bad first game starting a new QB and tear the Mean Green nation apart, then go for it. If you want the team and program to succeed, then show up, be supportive, and cheer loudly for the positives.

We all know starting a new QB post Derek Thompson would come with growing pains. Well, the growing pains are here and we're experiencing them now. I assure you that no one is more embarrassed and disappointed with Saturday's game than the coaches and players. Let them take care of business this week and trust that they will be better against SMU.

• Upvote 3

That sounds like a terrible way to completely undermined our experienced and proven coaching staff's decisions in front of the players, fans, and visitors.

If you want to put salt in the wound of a bad first game starting a new QB and tear the Mean Green nation apart, then go for it. If you want the team and program to succeed, then show up, be supportive, and cheer loudly for the positives.

We all know starting a new QB post Derek Thompson would come with growing pains. Well, the growing pains are here and we're experiencing them now. I assure you that no one is more embarrassed and disappointed with Saturday's game than the coaches and players. Let them take care of business this week and trust that they will be better against SMU.

trust is a 2 way street my friend:)

Last time SMU came to Denton we gave an athletic african-american QB a shot and he torched them.

I'm not sayin...

Emmitt01 you beat me to it. Can't think of the kid's name but he could run when needed. Black or white means nothing to me. You put players on the field that can get the job done. Maybe, just maybe, DeJon can run when needed, and if he gets hit enough times running when he shouldn't, he'll learn he can pass too.

Stick with Greer as the starter for the full week of practice and get him as many reps with the 1s as possible.

Work DW and Means into the mix periodically throughout the week.

Start Greer for the full first half against SMU. If his performance improves, great! If not, give Dajon and Means opportunities in the second half and see what they can do.

Seems reasonable to me but I don't think they have given up on MiniMac and what of Means?

If they're not going to give Williams or Means a try no matter what (and I think last night showed that, at least for Williams since we don't want to burn a redshirt unless totally necessary), then they might as well start me or you.

• Upvote 1

Yeah

If they're not going to give Williams or Means a try no matter what (and I think last night showed that, at least for Williams since we don't want to burn a redshirt unless totally necessary), then they might as well start me or you.

Yeah, no doubt. We could have thrown INT's just as well as they did. We could have also froze under pressure and gotten sacked. We should go try out if thats all it takes to play QB at North Texas. Where's my scholarship?

It's interesting to see how so many people ignore the main trait required for a successful QB at this level, and that is the ability to stand in there and "WILLINGLY" take getting the effing shit knocked out of you while still delivering the ball.

Scott Davis could do this all day long.

Mitch Maher could do this all day long.

Scott Hall could do this all day long,

Danny Meager could do this all day long.

Giovani Vizza could do this all day long.

Riley Dodge could do this all day long.

Derek Thompson could publish a book about doing it all day long.

Can Conor Means do it? Can Dejon Williams?

That's all that matters at this point because as of yesterday we know who cannot. And until they learn to we won't be successful moving the ball.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

It's interesting to see how so many people ignore the main trait required for a successful QB at this level, and that is the ability to stand in there and "WILLINGLY" take getting the effing shit knocked out of you while still delivering the ball.

That's all that matters at this point because as of yesterday we know who cannot. And until they learn to we won't be successful moving the ball.

Rick

Willingly? Only when they had to.

All of them were mobile enough (DT most of the time) to move out of the way just enough (which is different than having happy feet) to finish the process of choosing their receiver or make the decision to make a play with their feet. Which again, they all had the ability to do.

Let me add Jordan Case and Joe Stevenson to your list.

• Upvote 1

All of them were mobile enough (DT most of the time) to move out of the way just enough (which is different than having happy feet) to finish the process of choosing their receiver or make the decision to make a play with their feet. Which again, they all had the ability to do.

True. But simply think back to Scott Hall's defining first throw against Baylor at Fouts in '2000. He rolled out to the right and set up and waited for his WR to clear deep, knowing a huge, MFing linebacker had a 12 yard sprint on him from he back side. He stood there and waited for ever and we saw it coming, and he threw the ball accurately as he got lit up. Then jumped up and started laughing at the bastard that hit him because the catch put us first and goal at the 4. I jumped up and screamed "There's our damn future right there!".

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

Yes. Willingly.

Talking to the board in general here. Go rewatch the HOD bowl. Several plays DT releases the ball just as he is getting slobber knocked by a DL. Throwing arm up, eyes downfield, body unprotected. Last night I saw 2 QBs who tucked the ball and took a sack instead of standing and delivering. Tucking the ball and running prematurely also is bad.

Excellent post by Rick.

• Upvote 1

Rick

These guys all have what we didn't see out of Greer last night; pocket presence. Greer just needed to step up, step left, or step right on several plays just to extend the play a little longer so he could get a good look. He did none of that. Too many times he backed into pressure and held onto the ball. He was obviously out of his element last night....

This is another issue with the bodybag games. You have no idea who you'll have at QB when you schedule them years in advance; Greer may be generally pretty amazing, but when the most pressure he's seen is high-end JUCO, rattle him at DKR stadium the first game of the season and see how long it takes to get his nerve back, if ever. Multiple variables exist in this equation, but it's all stuff that needs to be considered. Having the balls to get hit a lot is one thing; being so off your game that you are just trying to avoid losing too many yards or getting an INT is something else. I wish Nicholls State was this week to give the guys their much-needed morale boost, but as that is not the case, let's hope they get their collective $#!+ together in time to knock out some Ponies.