Harry

they had 6:

• DT Chris Whaley – Dallas Cowboys
  • WR Mike Davis – Oakland Raiders
  • G Trey Hopkins – Cincinnati Bengals
  • CB Carrington Byndom – Carolina Panthers
  • DE Jackson Jeffcoat – Seattle Seahawks
  • OT Donald Hawkins – Philadelphia Eagles

Mack Brown was a great iconic coach down there, but even he ended up his career just like so many others do...basically getting pushed out. It happened to Darrell Royal, Barry Switzer, Bobby Bowden (who most resembles Mack Brown, coaching wise), Phil Fulmer, and Lloyd Carr, just to name a few...

It was probably time for him to go, since they had dropped back quite a bit in the last 5 years, and the Club Med feel down there of entitled kids certainly showed up in both results and now the NFL draft, where the reputation of being soft is now a tagline to the Texas program in the last years of Mack's tenure.

I suspect that Mack will look a lot better, just as DKR did after he left, as the years go by. He turned a medicore Texas program into a giant of college football, often finishing in the top ten through 2009. Texas has a lot to fix, now--especially the fact that recruiting has gotten much more difficult with A&M, OU, and Baylor all being perceived as being better programs right now. Obviously, that changes as the wins come and go for all of these programs, but Charlie Strong has a big head wind to face, from changing the mindset down there in Austin and trying to get top rated recruits to come back their way again int he large numbers they've come accustomed to in the last 15 years or so. I don't think this is going to go smoothly at all in the early years of Strong's tenure. And let's face it, he basically has no more than three years--if that--to get this fixed. His opener against us has a very similar feel to Mike Sherman's opening game at A&M when they played--and lost to--Arky State. It also feels like John Blake's first game at Oklahoma, when they played --and lost to--TCU in Norman. Maybe we get pounded down there when we play UT, but I suspect that we have a great chance to compete with them. When you look at the two games I mentioned involving new coaches taking over these big programs and playing a home opener against a non-AQ team, Arky State and TCU just ran the ball down their throat and were the beneficiaries of quite a few turnovers. Texas' QB situation is the worst it has been in decades--and if they haven't bought into Strong's tough approach, as I bet they haven't, you can see where this game could really be an upset in the waiting. Texas may beat us 65-0 again and we will just be glad to collect our check and run up to Denton to get ready for SMU the next week, but something tells me that this time, in Austin, its gonna be a lot tougher for the Horns than it has been against us since 1987.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Talking about recruiting getting tougher, I drove down to San Antonio yesterday and Baylors new stadium is being built literally right next to I35. It looks like it is going to be very nice. Only critique that I saw from the 20 second drive-by was that it looks very similar to old school NFL stadiums by design. Much like Qualcomm stadium in San Diego.

My buddy that graduated from utsa gave me a drive around tour of utsa campus and it truly does have a community college feel to it. The buildings are generic in design and looks similar to a hospital. There's virtually no landscaping aside from the miscellaneous mesquites. The basketball complex is black, like an all black building. The school is isolated from the city and is about a 30 minute drive to downtown.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 3