A&M transfer linebacker Jordan Richmond listed on UNT roster

Harry

So..can Richmond play or not?!?!? However, if his off the field issues rise up once he's gone as far as I'm concerned.

It's interesting... barring medical redshirts you have a 5 year window for your eligibility... he was part of the 2012 A&M signing class, redshirted in 2012 and then sat out in 2013...my sense is he will have to sit out a year at UNT because of the NCAA transfer rule and have 2 years to play 2.

I don't think you have to graduate from a JC if you were eligible for D1 when you finish high school. I believe the graduation requirement is for non-qualifiers.

It's not that he wouldn't be eligible to go to a D1 school, but that he would have to sit out a year if he transferred to a D1 without graduating from the JC. If a guy graduates from a JC, whether he started at a D1 or not, then he can play immediately at a D1 school if he transfers to one.

I think risinggreen is right about this. He may be eligible to transfer to UNT despite not graduating from Navarro since he qualified out of high school, but he wouldn't be eligible to play immediately like a JUCO player who graduated from the JC.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

Agreed. I have been thinking about this as well. We are a long way from being a first stop for 4 star athletes who have the offers from UT and A&M. But we have raised our profile, through a commitment to facilities, conference affiliation, coaching and of course most recently with winning. Marcus Trice and his fantastic experience at UNT after transferring from OU is a big big development that you can sell. Darius Terrell sticks out to me as the first UT caliber transfer that we landed in a long long time. Now you have Richmond coming from A$M. I think the missing piece that we need to add to this formula is more NFL players. When we can sell that you have a good shot to get to the NFL it will increase our transfer quality even more.

I like the McCarney model. You focus on the DFW and Texas high schools, you welcome quality transfers, you sprinkle in a juco here and there for a need area. You build an outstanding walk-on program that generates real scholarships (not lip service). You offer a reasonable tuition and cost for going to school closer to home for those who are in transition (injuries, homesick, family issues) and want to earn a scholarship on the field of play. You offer them great facilities, a good education and a great/stable coaching staff led by Mac who plans on retiring here.

All good points and I agree.