SMU Fans discussing the 2014 UNT game

Harry

Well that's not entirely fair. That was the weekend where even walking to the stadium was practically impossible.

No, it's fair. A 2 mile walk on ice is a lot easier than a 900 mile trip from Vegas, and it costs a lot less, also.

The SMU/U-CONN had a reported attendance of 14,639. I went and saw the first half of the game. They over reported by about 10,000.

• Upvote 1

The SMU/U-CONN had a reported attendance of 14,639. I went and saw the first half of the game. They over reported by about 10,000.

In no way am I sticking up for the ticket counters at SMU, I am aware they are notorious for over-reporting. I was just taking the weather into consideration when speaking of the crowd that day.

• Upvote 1

You beat me to it, but THIS. They don't come out to watch the games, the ice was just a convienent excuse. I'm suprised they haven't used traffic on 75 as an excuse for low attendance yet.

You were correct in everything you stated until that last one. Qualify it differently.

Fine, doc.

Up until this season. But TCU's done pretty well as a whole for about the last 5 years. They're closer to being the college team of DFW than anyone else, and could lock it in if they figure out how to be more accessible to the average person and start raking in the football wins again.

I've never had run ins with an SMU fan so I'm just blown away by their arrogance for how poor that program is. Just awful. I've never met an SMU fan either.

How about the "cash beats trash" written on somone's windshield when they were up here last? And, I think there is some debate on if they really have any fans. There is a good chance that anyone in the stadium could be players and coaches families. As for the message board, it's probably Cougarqueen with multiple accounts, having a conversation with himself.

• Upvote 1

I've actually met a lot of good, nice people from that school, but none of them were fans. There must be something that comes with being a Pony fan that turns someone inside out. All but a handful of their fans are just obnoxious.

Our big game next year is in Austin. The SMU game is for local interest/recruiting.

Fine, doc.

Up until this season. But TCU's done pretty well as a whole for about the last 5 years. They're closer to being the college team of DFW than anyone else, and could lock it in if they figure out how to be more accessible to the average person and start raking in the football wins again.

They will need to leave the Big 12 to ever again be relevant with their pompous head coach. He is already on the league's coaches list of people you love to beat. They are now with the big boys and they can't fill those britches.

• Upvote 1

How about the "cash beats trash" written on somone's windshield when they were up here last? And, I think there is some debate on if they really have any fans. There is a good chance that anyone in the stadium could be players and coaches families. As for the message board, it's probably Cougarqueen with multiple accounts, having a conversation with himself.

The cash beats trash thing is hilarious. So can we call them Rich TCC Students? Since that's all SMU is...a Rich TCC with the exception of one great program (MBA.) Any person with money and brains who wants to go private is going to Rice or Baylor...period.

• Upvote 1

Fine, doc.

Bingo.

• Upvote 1

I know a number of SMU fans and they are all nice folks. Nice folks who want SMU to win every game and get mad as hell when they don't, not unlike a like of our fans.

As for the rich thing, SMU does that to everyone. Back in the SWC days, they had bumper stickers reading "My MAID went to Texas."

By the way, Bill Clements didn't actually graduate from SMU. He dropped out to work in the oil fields as did a number of his executives at the old SEDCO. I've never been around a company with so many corporate officers without actual degrees!

I have never met anyone that attended SMU that actually roots for them, which makes the comment about T-shirt fans all the more hilarious.

I've met SMU students - they're generally nice folks like any college kid would be. None have expressed interest in SMU football. Some in that group weren't sports fans (okay, cool), but many just didn't think it was worth it.

Mind you, up until this season many thought the same about UNT football - but I find that once they go to a game at Apogee, they're hooked. I think it's because the newest group of students from the last 5 years has been brought in with a lot high spirits for the school and that translates to pride no matter what's on the scoreboard or in the schedule. So come gameday, that means the sort of deafeningly loud atmosphere for Idaho when UNT went just 4-8 the year before.

Edited by meangreendork

I watched June Jone's coach Hawaii back in 2006-2007 when he had a loaded team and I enjoyed watching them play in person at Aloha Stadium (tough place to play). I was a fan of his and I was hoping he would be a good fit for SMU and help resurrect their football program. The program improved a little bit but has seemed to plateau. I think its a hard market for SMU football as a student, a fan, or an alumni. Winning solves all. I hope they'll have some personal pride and support their team when they play UNT and make the trip up I-35. It'll just be good for DFW college football. UNT fans will be sure to pay the favor when playing in Dallas. Sadly, it might feel like a UNT home game whenever we play SMU in Dallas but that's how we'll roll!

I watched June Jone's coach Hawaii back in 2006-2007 when he had a loaded team and I enjoyed watching them play in person at Aloha Stadium (tough place to play). I was a fan of his and I was hoping he would be a good fit for SMU and help resurrect their football program. The program improved a little bit but has seemed to plateau. I think its a hard market for SMU football as a student, a fan, or an alumni. Winning solves all. I hope they'll have some personal pride and support their team when they play UNT and make the trip up I-35. It'll just be good for DFW college football. UNT fans will be sure to pay the favor when playing in Dallas. Sadly, it might feel like a UNT home game whenever we play SMU in Dallas but that's how we'll roll!

We will have more fans at their field when we play down there.