Player's Bowl Preference ?

akriesman

Do you guys think that the players would rather play locally, in the HOD bowl, in front of a lot of their fans ? Or, do you think they would rather travel to Hawaii ? As a fan, I am crossing my fingers for the HOD bowl. But, I can understand why the players would want to go to Hawaii as a reward for the special season they have had, even if the stands are mostly empty.

Edited by akriesman

Hawaii no question

You would be surprised.

I would guess a local bowl that afforded the opportunity to play in front of family and friends. I have so much respect for our 4/5 year seniors like Boutwell, Abbe, Jackson, Thompson, etc... that suffered through the worst of times, worked hard, stuck with UNT through bad hires and coaching changes only to be rewarded with a season like this one. If I was one of those young men, I would pick the local bowl so I could have my moment of glory in front of those that may have questioned my sanity for sticking with North Texas and to allow me to walk around with my chin a little higher and chest pushed out a little further for my friends that decided to play at SMU or TCU that are sitting at home this year.

• Upvote 1

Well should the bowl not also be for the fans? Would the players rather spend a week in Hawaii and then play in front of maybe 1K UNT fans versus playing in front of potentially 15-20K fans locally against a better team?

So selfish vacation or play for family and fans?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well should the bowl not also be for the fans? Would the players rather spend a week in Hawaii and then play in front of maybe 1K UNT fans versus playing in front of potentially 15-20K fans locally against a better team?

If that is selfish, are we as a fanbase selfish when we clamor for a local bowl game that we can attend, when most of these players will probably never have another chance in their lives to visit Hawaii?

Just asking the question, as I would also prefer Dallas.

• Upvote 4

I would have to disagree and say the bowl, especially this one, is for our seniors. We just get to go along for the ride.

• Upvote 1

I would have to disagree and say the bowl, especially this one, is for our seniors. We just get to go along for the ride.

"Playing the game for the honor and fame,

And the glory of UNT."

This about the whole school. And giving everyone (or as many people as possible) an opportunity to celebrate this season.....and this team.

• Upvote 2

If I was a player I would want HOD. I think players feed of crowd energy and would be amped up to play in front of a home crowd in a historic stadium.

Also, it's not as if going to Hawaii means a leisurely vacation. They are going there for a football game, I'm not sure how much down time they would have.

There are a couple of days early on where they have free time and perdiem bowl money

Edited by DirtySavage
  • Upvote 1

If I was a player I would want HOD. I think players feed of crowd energy and would be amped up to play in front of a home crowd in a historic stadium.

Also, it's not as if going to Hawaii means a leisurely vacation. They are going there for a football game, I'm not sure how much down time they would have.

Do they play H.S. playoff games in the Cotton Bowl?

If not, then I bet the players (many being from the Metroplex) would love to play in that stadium.

If so, maybe some of them have played there already so the allure of the Cotton Bowl may not be there.

Do they play H.S. playoff games in the Cotton Bowl?

If not, then I bet the players (many being from the Metroplex) would love to play in that stadium.

If so, maybe some of them have played there already so the allure of the Cotton Bowl may not be there.

So all the high school kids who now get to play in Jerry World on a regular basis have no desire to play there in their college careers?

Having never played in a bowl game before, one cannot be picky. DT 90 would prefer to play in the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day. You cannot be more traditional than that.

Edited by DT 90
  • Upvote 6

"Playing the game for the honor and fame,

And the glory of UNT."

This about the whole school. And giving everyone (or as many people as possible) an opportunity to celebrate this season.....and this team.

I understand what you are saying, but if the team doesn't win, none of us get to go. I made my statement since they earn the right to play in a bowl and for all of us to go along for the ride.

So all the high school kids who now get to play in Jerry World on a regular basis have no desire to play there in their college careers?

Having never played in a bowl game before, one cannot be picky. DT 90 would prefer to play in the Cotton Bowl on New Years Day. You cannot be more traditional than that.

Not what I was saying at all. I was just trying to say that a historical stadium like the Cotton Bowl (if they were to keep their gates locked outside of the actual Bowl game and other college games played at the state fair) would be extra special to local players, as opposed to AT&T who hosts playoff games and other marquee HS games all of the time.

I looked it up and the Cotton Bowl hosts HS Playoff games quite often, so it's a moot point anyway.

And I'm glad your son feels that way. Obviously the fans do as well.