Snaps by other QBs

Green Otaku

We have seen the back up QB's very rarely this year, even when we are up by a few scores. Is anyone else frustrated with the lack of passing being allowed? This is valuable experience and seems like a waste for just hand offs, especially on 3rd and longs. I want to see some of our other guys throw, and see what else we have going for us next year. I can only remember DW doing any consistent throwing in the game he played.

So what's the motive here? Is DMac trying to conserve the lead? Building their confidence? Avoiding injury? Avoiding turn overs?

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2

We have seen the back up QB's very rarely this year, even when we are up by a few scores. Is anyone else frustrated with the lack of passing being allowed? This is valuable experience and seems like a waste for just hand offs, especially on 3rd and longs. I want to see some of our other guys throw, and see what else we have going for us next year. I can only remember DW doing any consistent throwing in the game he played.

So what's the motive here? Is DMac trying to conserve the lead? Building their confidence? Avoiding injury? Avoiding turn overs?

They'll have plenty of chances to show what they can do in the spring.

• Upvote 1

Yes. We've had plenty of blowouts that would had allowed for plenty of backup opportunities, but leaving the backup QB's on the bench seems to be Mac's MO. Oh well. Too late to complain much now.

In checking the stats on meangreensports.com, the only players other than Derek to throw a pass were McNulty (5-6) and Dajon (5-6). So next year we will have a total of 12 thrown passes in a college game and 10 completions. I trust that Mac knows what he is doing, but from the outside, that is not what I want to see.

• Upvote 1

In checking the stats on meangreensports.com, the only players other than Derek to throw a pass were McNulty (5-6) and Dajon (5-6). So next year we will have a total of 12 thrown passes in a college game and 10 completions. I trust that Mac knows what he is doing, but from the outside, that is not what I want to see.

I agree with the sentiment of the post, but McNulty was 28-51 in 2011. That makes him 33-57 in his career, so we have a total of 63 thrown passes in a college game and 38 completions...not much better, but a little

• Upvote 2

8-4, guys. I'm sure Mac was protecting the lead, hesitant to experiment with our successful season, and sure he could get them plenty of experience in the Spring. All is well in Denton.

I agree with the overall sentiment, but this is a microscopic critique.

3 chances to get some meaningful PT for a backup QB without experimenting with our successful season:

10/26 - @USM: At the beginning of the 4th quarter, the scoreboard read 48-14. UNT was in full control of this game from start to finish.

11/9 - UTEP: with 13:55 remaining, the scoreboard read 35 - 7. The Miners had virtually no offense to speak of. Not only was this a good time to get a backup QB some PT, we could have kept a few starters off of the trainers table in the 4th quarter as well (that D. Smith injury looked serious at the time).

11/30 - @Tulsa: At the beginning of the 4th quarter, the scoreboard read 35-10. Tulsa was showing nothing on offense other than Watts, and he was being contained as well as he could be.

Maybe Dajon got hurt in his time VS Idaho and that spooked coach McCarney. I bet Rollins' injury VS UTEP spooked him. Maybe coach McCarney though his backups weren't ready yet (too fragile), therefore did not want to risk their health? Who knows.

• Upvote 2

I agree with the overall sentiment, but this is a microscopic critique.

3 chances to get some meaningful PT for a backup QB without experimenting with our successful season:

10/26 - @USM: At the beginning of the 4th quarter, the scoreboard read 48-14. UNT was in full control of this game from start to finish.

11/9 - UTEP: with 13:55 remaining, the scoreboard read 35 - 7. The Miners had virtually no offense to speak of. Not only was this a good time to get a backup QB some PT, we could have kept a few starters off of the trainers table in the 4th quarter as well (that D. Smith injury looked serious at the time).

11/30 - @Tulsa: At the beginning of the 4th quarter, the scoreboard read 35-10. Tulsa was showing nothing on offense other than Watts, and he was being contained as well as he could be.

Maybe Dajon got hurt in his time VS Idaho and that spooked coach McCarney. I bet Rollins' injury VS UTEP spooked him. Maybe coach McCarney though his backups weren't ready yet (too fragile), therefore did not want to risk their health? Who knows.

Pegram was seriously injured during mop up time

We were going to run the clock out either way, so no matter who they would have put it, we were not throwing the ball.

This is on Mac. when dajon was throwing against Idaho, that was chico. If chico had full control of the offense, we would have finished more games this way. Mac is the one who wants to run the clock out. No way an OC wants to be conservative. He is judged by offensive numbers and putting up as many points as he can.

Chico can not advance his career by being conservative. It doesnt make sense. It's Mac that is holding the offense back, and chico has to work around it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We were going to run the clock out either way, so no matter who they would have put it, we were not throwing the ball.

This is on Mac. when dajon was throwing against Idaho, that was chico. If chico had full control of the offense, we would have finished more games this way. Mac is the one who wants to run the clock out. No way an OC wants to be conservative. He is judged by offensive numbers and putting up as many points as he can.

Chico can not advance his career by being conservative. It doesnt make sense. It's Mac that is holding the offense back, and chico has to work around it.

It's DT that is holding the offense back.

The backups will get lots of extra reps and practice in December now that we get extra weeks to prepare for the Bowl Game. Starters will get rest and young cats will get reps. One of the most understated advantages of going to a Bowl Game is all the extra practices the young kids get. A lot of growth goes on in these next couple of weeks. The glass is half full.

Edited by DirtySavage
  • Upvote 1

I agree with the sentiment of the thread. Very happy to go 8-4 and a bowl game, I trust Mac and his judgement.

I just wondered if anyone knew a specific reason. As for those talking about spring practice I would have to disagree, there is nothing like real game experience, we all know you can't replicate that in practice. With the precious few chances to get someone in there it seemed IMHO that we didn't take full advantage of that. Again I trust the coaching staff, just a comment.

Guys, our two backups threw about 2% each - 4% total - of the total passes in all of our games. Baylor was a LOT further ahead in more games and their two back ups threw all of 11% of their total passes.

Back ups don't get many reps in practices and they get even fewer reps in games unless the starter is injured. That is just the way it works.

And once again it should be pointed out we are 8-4.

• Upvote 2

Guys, our two backups threw about 2% each - 4% total - of the total passes in all of our games. Baylor was a LOT further ahead in more games and their two back ups threw all of 11% of their total passes.

Back ups don't get many reps in practices and they get even fewer reps in games unless the starter is injured. That is just the way it works.

And once again it should be pointed out we are 8-4.

Not that it means everything, but Baylor's starter is not a senior. I would had really liked to see more of the other guys, but it's really a moot point now. Well, as long as DT stays healthy between now and the end of the bowl game of course.

• Upvote 1