Heart of Dallas Bowl 2014 - UNT needs to think BIG

Harry

I know that we have not yet officially been invited to the Heart of Dallas Bowl but it would not hurt to start making arrangements for if it does transpire.

This could be a BIG celebration... with the new president coming on board, our inroads at UNT Dallas (new president there as well) and the Law School we could throw a huge New Years Eve party that could be a lot of fun!

I think having a big venue where we could have a lot of fans and also have Coach Mac and Dr. Smatresk, Dr. Rawlins, Lee Jackson, Mean Joe Green and RV speak to the crowd would be fantastic... Faculty, students, alumni, fans, the Band, prospective recruits and their families --- invite them all... make it a scene get Mayor Rawlings and other Dallas dignitaries to be a part. The Heart of Dallas helps the homeless so make some type of food drive where if you bring canned goods you get free admission.

We have so much musical talent at our disposal I just know we could get some major acts to play.

On the venue -- you KNOW there is a cool place in Deep Ellum or lower Greenville or heck even Gilley's over off of I-30 that we could talk into making it ours for the evening...it needs to be big but not too big.. you want there to be a demand for tickets.. you want it to be a good crowd.

The other thing, don't just make this a boring speech fest. Yes some speeches and get fired up stuff needs to happen but the main thing is entertainment make it fun! Have some great food and ambiance. Show a highlight video from Beyond the Green! Let the players come by early to be recognized...

This could be a HUGE opportunity to really open up doors in Dallas if you play your cards right. Don't miss this chance!

My vision at MSG also includes some green fireworks from the top of the UNT building as well as talking to the current owners of the old Statler Hilton across the street about changing their lighting of the building from blue to green as well. :)

My vision at MSG also includes some green fireworks from the top of the UNT building as well as talking to the current owners of the old Statler Hilton across the street about changing their lighting of the building from blue to green as well. :)

And I suspect that lighting Reunion Tower in green with "UNT", rather than the ineffective blue and red "SMU" that we've been seeing lately, would turn out to be a whole lot more effective for us than it has been for them.

And I suspect that lighting Reunion Tower in green with "UNT", rather than the ineffective blue and red "SMU" that we've been seeing lately, would turn out to be a whole lot more effective for us than it has been for them.

Yes indeed. I would suspect the Omni would end up with some rotation of the two teams on display like they did last year (as would Reunion Tower), but it would be pretty cool for someone with UNT to attempt to coordinate with all the buildings with color-changing LED systems (Hunt, One Arts, etc.) to get them all to go Green. Hopefully that would include BoA not changing theirs from the standard green.

Edited by jredallas

We should not offer so much as a lollipop to UNT Dallas OR the Law School.

Good grief!!!!

Rick

Amen, bro! UNT Law or UNT-Dallas are no more a part of us than UTEP or UTSA are of flagship UT-Austin.

Our BOR's back in the day let the real plums get away from our main campus (among a few other dunder-head things they've done the last 25 or so years). Sometimes its hard to believe that so many of our UNT BOR's have had very successful businesses the way they've run our campus at time. On their behalf, I think they just hit a home run with this new UNT prez' hire, though. (You have to give credit when credit is due).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Yes indeed. I would suspect the Omni would end up with some rotation of the two teams on display like they did last year (as would Reunion Tower), but it would be pretty cool for someone with UNT to attempt to coordinate with all the buildings with color-changing LED systems (Hunt, One Arts, etc.) to get them all to go Green. Hopefully that would include BoA not changing theirs from the standard green.

I think the BoA building is updating their lighting to allow multicolor lighting.

If it were me.......I would be looking at the Sheraton in Downtown Dallas to host a NYE Party with room specials. Across the street is the train station that takes 2 stops and drops you off in Fair Park right in front of the station. Since the Sheraton is on the border of downtown there is a ton of parking available in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Offering a place for people to party....retreat to a room.....wake up and easy train to the game sounds too perfect for me.

Amen, bro! UNT Law or UNT-Dallas are no more a part of us than UTEP or UTSA are of flagship UT-Austin.

Our BOR's back in the day let the real plums get away from our main campus (among a few other dunder-head things they've done the last 25 or so years). Sometimes its hard to believe that so many of our UNT BOR's have had very successful businesses the way they've run our campus at time. On their behalf, I think they just hit a home run with this new UNT prez' hire, though. (You have to give credit when credit is due).

What did I miss, why do you guys dislike our University expanding into Dallas?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

CRW:

This probably started with some of us when a UNT-Denton grad gave UNT-Dallas $1 million cash gift? Guess which school didn't get that $1 million as a result of that? There are other reasons and not enough time to go into all that.

As you'd know UNT-Denton and UNT-Dallas are 2 separate standing universities; just like UT-Austin, UTEP and UTSA are 3 separate standing universities.

GMG!.

There are going to be some awfully disappointed folks around these parts if we somehow don't get to take the parade route everyone is counting on. But then again I can't remember the last time we spent a week knowing for certain that something was going to happen, only to get kicked in the 90's.

CRW:

This probably started with some of us when a UNT-Denton grad gave UNT-Dallas $1 million cash gift? Guess which school didn't get that $1 million as a result of that? There are other reasons and not enough time to go into all that.

As you'd know UNT-Denton and UNT-Dallas are 2 separate standing universities; just like UT-Austin, UTEP and UTSA are 3 separate standing universities.

GMG!.

From what i've heard they have more coordination than the UT-system. I had a friend who took classes at UNT-Dallas and UNT-Denton at the same time and it was the same credit. He works in Dallas so it was an easier option.

CRW:

GMG!.

Comparing UNT-D to UTEP or any of the UT system schools is not equal.

Those system schools were long-standing universities prior to assimilating into the UT system. UNT-D is an infant school. I highly doubt their students have "Jaguar Pride". Why not encourage them to come see big brother play just up the road?

We always talk smack about UTSA, UTA, etc... being full of students who only want to transfer to Austin. Why don't we try and foster the same feelings for our system school to the South? I wonder what the # of bright students at UNT-D wearing Mean Green gear would be? Probably nowhere near the # of UT/A&M supporters. This is a golden opportunity to change that.

• Upvote 5

Comparing UNT-D to UTEP or any of the UT system schools is not equal.

Those system schools were long-standing universities prior to assimilating into the UT system. UNT-D is an infant school. I highly doubt their students have "Jaguar Pride". Why not encourage them to come see big brother play just up the road?

We always talk smack about UTSA, UTA, etc... being full of students who only want to transfer to Austin. Why don't we try and foster the same feelings for our system school to the South? I wonder what the # of bright students at UNT-D wearing Mean Green gear would be? Probably nowhere near the # of UT/A&M supporters. This is a golden opportunity to change that.

Wasn't really comparing any UNT System campus to any UT System campus at all. That's apples and oranges and the Permanent University Fund gift to UT(and TAMU) made possible by an 1870's Texas legislature made it that way a long time ago.

Guess we are all waiting for an HOD Bowl announcement and just killing time, eh? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think Rick and Plumm de-railed bro-bro. I didn't even realize there was some animosity toward UNT-Dallas from UNT-Denton folks. My bad.

UNT-D is our Chancellor's special pet project. Lots of people dislike him for focusing too much effort on UNT-D instead of the Flagship. Hence, some people want to see UNT-D fail? I'm not really a fan of Jackson, but I'm not going to take that out on the schools. The fact that UNT even has a system is a good thing, or else a forced consolidation could occur and we could be Texas A&M - Denton or some crap like that.