Benford and Proof!

Wag Tag

My opinion to this point is almost stiflingly uncomfortable to me. I am sad for our very talented and hard working players and all the rest of us including the head coach and his staff but, this situation is not going to succeed. And, there is little possibility that a correction will be made in the near term. NT has a tradition of "riding it out." We simply don't have the fan leverage nor administrative concern that would force a buyout or even a creative short term fix.

• Upvote 1

As I posted in another thread, with the easy OOC schedule, we should at very worst be sitting at 9-5 come conference time. I truly think we are gonna get our asses kicked in conference, so I would think going 6-10 might actually be an accomplishment.

That being said, anything less than .500 will not have raised my confidence level.

The past is the past no matter how bad. This year he must show he can coach and develop a team capable of playing competitive CUSA ball. If NT ends up at near the bottom of the conference than NT needs to make a change. The cost of going forward with a sub par coach another year will just delay any hopes of rebuilding the program.

This is what the AD failed miserably to realize:

What Benord did last year will cause many of us to stop attending and stop really caring about UNT basketball. If destroying the program is fine with the AD, why should we care?

I don't think he is capable of recovering from last year. I simply don't think he has the coaching ability. But, even if he did, the capital he wasted with fans of this program last year could only be replaced by an NCAA birth THIS SEASON!

We all know that just isn't feasable.

For his good and the good of the program, he should have been dismissed after the terrible showing in Hot Springs, but he wasn't because we are too cheap to pay out a contract. So our basketball program lingers and suffers.

Hopefully only to the end of the year.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

he wasn't because we are too cheap to pay out a contract.

From everything I hear, this is simply not the case. We can't go through coaches like diapers, but we have some room to correct a situation such as this. With the off season improvements, there is evidence to support it.

Even Western Kentucky had to wait until 1 1/2 years to see if their coach could sustain what the previous one did.

• Upvote 2

From everything I hear, this is simply not the case. We can't go through coaches like diapers, but we have some room to correct a situation such as this. With the off season improvements, there is evidence to support it.

Even Western Kentucky had to wait until 1 1/2 years to see if their coach could sustain what the previous one did.

I think you speak of one poster's words. Said poster said a change could be made if Benford didn't win. There was no definition of what winning meant to those in charge. Winning conference record? Winning OOC record? Winning overall record? Winning Ernie's heart?

Lots of wiggle room. If we somehow manage to win more than 12 games this year, I think you see RV trumpet the "improvement in the program" and Benford "excelling on the learning curve and recruiting trail".

And I'm talking about 14 victories.

The good news? I've been wrong lately.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think you speak of one poster's words. Said poster said a change could be made if Benford didn't win. There was no definition of what winning meant to those in charge. Winning conference record? Winning OOC record? Winning overall record? Winning Ernie's heart?

Lots of wiggle room. If we somehow manage to win more than 12 games this year, I think you see RV trumpet the "improvement in the program" and Benford "excelling on the learning curve and recruiting trail".

And I'm talking about 14 victories.

The good news? I've been wrong lately.

I didn't hear it from a poster. And you are right, I don't know what it would take, just that if we need to make a change, we can.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come to realize that I directly associate Benny's hiring with the absolute worst time period of my life thus far. Fair or not I don't think I'll be able to move along with my life as a Mean Green Basketball fan until he's no more than a UNT afterthought. Hopefully his shitieness serves as the necessary conduit to speed my healing process along.

I miss the Super Pit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm kind of in between where a lot of you stand. With reasonable progress in the win column and going at least one win in the CUSA tourney, I'd say it's worth hanging on for a while longer. Note that when we were in the 'Belt, sometimes the champ didn't even have a .500 record, so my measure of improvement isn't necessarily a winning season, but improvement by the time we hit the tournament. If we're under .500 and can win 1 or 2 rounds, then I'm okay with hanging on another year...again, our opinions may not matter if they don't want to pay out the contract, but if we're a low seed and still knock off one or two, I'll still be optimistic about the possibility of a third year to really turn the corner.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1