Will Homecoming Sell Out?

MeanGreenGlory

That's what I've heard, but we also shouldn't discount the fact that UTEP is 1-6, and a horrible team in the form of Idaho & Southern Miss.

They traveled well to SMU, but this is an especially bad year.

Still, there are a lot of DFW area UTEP alums and this is their only chance to see their team this year.

My office, full of UT, A&M, Baylor and TCU grads, is buzzing about last night's game. The highlight video is making the email rounds (yours truly guilty for getting that started). Comments like, "Impressive!" "What a turnaround for the Mean Green!" "They hit like the NFL!" "He knocked that guy into next Tuesday!"

Edit: As for UTEP, in my former life, El Paso was a major part of my customer base, so I was there at least one week each month. They say it's the lithium in the municipal water supply. The town is ugly, the gang/drug activity across the border in Juarez is third world warlord epic bad. But El Pasoans are, as a population, as nice a group as you will ever meet. I've been really looking forward to having UTEP in our conference and really looking forward to getting out there for a road game next year, calendar willing. I love El Paso, and I love its people.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 3

Yup^

WE lived in El Paso for about 8 months when Juarez was in the news all the time for beheadings, etc.. My husband was building the very unsuccessful and waste of money "border fence".

BUT aside from all the thugs and gangsters and druggy weirdos..... The normal people of Elpaso were really really nice, extremely loyal, proud and territorial.

I think they'll bring a good crowd.

Edited by SSP

I think we'll have a homecoming attendance of 25,000 or so based off of what's already in place

However, if the university and AD decide to do some legitimate advertising in Denton and DFW throughout the next week, I think we could definitely see a sell-out.

With all the buzz and momentum associated with the program right now, there's definitely an additional 5,000-8,000 people in the DFW area who can be convinced to come to the game. People will come out of the woodwork, but they need to hear the message and be informed about the game in order to do so.

25K would be a good turn out, but I really hope the University and AD take advantage of this opportunity and advertise the game as much as possible in addition to making as many media appearances as they can throughout the week!

Go Mean Green!

Edited by MeanGreenGlory

No sellout for homecoming and no sellout for SMU.

The Rice win is exciting for those of us that already go to the games, but only an eyebrow lifter for those casual alums that we need back so badly.

The ones we pester may finally go, but the ones that no one bothers to asks have just taken note of a nice win.

You need those back to fill that stadium. If we didn't sell it out for the grand opening with a new coach, we aren't going to sell it out for homecoming.

Win out. Win CUSA championship game. Win the Liberty Bowl. Win the opener at UT.

Then you might sell out Apogee for the SMU game.

This is a lot harder than some of you think.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Edit: As for UTEP, in my former life, El Paso was a major part of my customer base, so I was there at least one week each month. They say it's the lithium in the municipal water supply. The town is ugly, the gang/drug activity across the border in Juarez is third world warlord epic bad. But El Pasoans are, as a population, as nice a group as you will ever meet.

El Paso is strange. While Juarez was having death tolls that topped Iraq, El Paso at the exact same time was the safest city its size in the nation.

They can't drive though, they have minimum speed signs posted on I10 and they need to do more to enforce it. Only place I have ever driven 30 MPH on an interstate not because of traffic, but just because everyone, in every lane, decided that was a good pace.

No sellout for homecoming and no sellout for SMU.

The Rice win is exciting for those of us that already go to the games, but only an eyebrow lifter for those casual alums that we need back so badly.

The ones we pester may finally go, but the ones that no one bothers to asks have just taken note of a nice win.

You need those back to fill that stadium. If we didn't sell it out for the grand opening with a new coach, we aren't going to sell it out for homecoming.

Win out. Win CUSA championship game. Win the Liberty Bowl. Win the opener at UT.

Then you might sell out Apogee for the SMU game.

This is a lot harder than some of you think.

I'm not sure we'd have to meet all of these criteria, but I would say maybe 3 of the 4... with winning next year's opener in Austin as a must.

If Green N'walins Vet is correct above, this will be a big boost. We may get close to 30k if they keep buying their tickets and walk-up as well as a student turnout like yesterday and the return of the alumni side.

The only guaranteed sellouts will be when we get Tech, Baylor or Houston (or better) back along with good weather; while the team is good. It would also help if tailgating activities were shut down at least 15-30 minutes prior to kickoff. Add in free tickets to kids 14 and under with a paying adult.

• Downvote 2

Went to ESSC last night for the post-game night cap. Among our group, someone brought along the Apogee ticket office manager. Dude is super cool, and he indicated that ticket sales for next week are already nearing a three year high.

Also, tangentially, I noticed on RowdyTalk that UTSA is booking entire group packages for odd sections like 209 and 203.

----

To further add to the odd awesomeness of last night, while I was closing my tab, the folks beside me were trying to figure out what to order, and I gave a couple of suggestions. This led to a cool conversation wherein I found out I was speaking to a professional football player who plays for Brazil (and will be heading to play in Australia next year) and his Finnish wife. He was American though and had high school classmates on both Rice's and our rosters. He had nothing but praise for our team. Only in Denton would this encounter be made perfect.

To further add to the odd awesomeness of last night, while I was closing my tab, the folks beside me were trying to figure out what to order, and I gave a couple of suggestions. This led to a cool conversation wherein I found out I was speaking to a professional football player who plays for Brazil (and will be heading to play in Australia next year) and his Finnish wife. He was American though and had high school classmates on both Rice's and our rosters. He had nothing but praise for our team. Only in Denton would this encounter be made perfect.

Futher proof that John Williams run bars are portals into alternate, super groovy universes.

Went to ESSC last night for the post-game night cap. Among our group, someone brought along the Apogee ticket office manager. Dude is super cool, and he indicated that ticket sales for next week are already nearing a three year high.

Also, tangentially, I noticed on RowdyTalk that UTSA is booking entire group packages for odd sections like 209 and 203.

Ticket sales are reported to be very good ...

Hearing the #MeanGreen ticket office phone is burning up this morning... Success and homecoming could equal record crowd!

— Eric Capper (@Eric_Capper)

November 1, 2013

I think it'll be in the 27-28 range but no sell out. I'd love to break 30.

As long as we don't lay an egg to UT next season and continue on our torrid pace, SMU will be the first sell out.

I think it'll be in the 27-28 range but no sell out. I'd love to break 30.

As long as we don't lay an egg to UT next season and continue on our torrid pace, SMU will be the first sell out.

Those are pretty much my thoughts. If we are able to host the CUSA Championship game we could get closer.

I say no because:

1. Several hundred will stay out and tailgate throughout the game to catch up with visiting alumni. I have seen this from my seat in the club section.

2. Many students on campus on Thursday night go home on weekends.

3. Not sure what can possibly fill up the wing zone without more local participation.

• Downvote 1

If our first game against Houston didn't sell out neither will Homecoming although I expect a nice crowd. I agree, SMU will probably be our first sellout. ATRAIN, ATRAIN, ATRAIN.

• Downvote 1

How many people are there at UNT we have over 36000 students, what are the number of Faculty, administrative staff, maintenance crews etc?

We should be able to fill that stadium easily twice over, and still have people parting on the hill.