Marshall vs MTSU

UNT90

Great game for the confrence on tv.

I don't know--that game was great, but it looked like there were about 1500 people at that game. With all that Fouts end zone aluminum showing on camera during this game, I felt empathy for MUTS. Even though they have been good, they still looked like they have a long way to go in rallying the locals to come watch them play.

• Upvote 1

Great game for the confrence on tv.

and we're gonna give the nation an even better one on Halloween. I'm hoping for a rowdy atmosphere at Apogee

Can I also say how entertaining the Fox1 broadcasts have been on Thursday nights? Really like the color guy and just a well done broadcast. Hope C -USA keeps this deal going.

agreed. And they're gonna be super excited coming to our house next week!

• Upvote 3

Man, I'm fighting the temptation to start looking at games like this and imagine hosting a CUSA title game in Denton.

WAY too early for those thoughts, but it's certainly fun to be tempted by them.

Obviously, we lost our chance to control our own destiny in the West against Tulane, but MTSU helped us out in an area that we could not have controlled.

According to Adam Sparks, the local paper's beat writer for MUTS, Kilgore was fine but was benched to try something different.

I trust him over the Fox Sports dudes.

Early in the 1st, they were talking about Kilgore having a mild separated shoulder heading into the UNT game (not sure which shoulder 90). Then he got hit or otherwise knocked around and made it worse (started talking about different levels of the separation), and now after their bye week, Kilgore feels 100%.

Either the Fox guys had no idea what they were talking about, or Kilgore/Stock were backpedaling their failed experiment.

MTSU offensive stats

308 yards rushing

277 yards passing

585 total yards

100 offensive plays... That's right. 100

Marshall's defense was obviously awful, but what the stats don't show is what a Dodge-esqe tackling team Marshall put on the field.

Compare that to the 149 yards rushing (mainly on QB scrambles) and 66 yards passing MTSU had on Apogee and tell me again who has the best defense in CUSA?

Stomp a mid hole in USM.

MTSU offensive stats

308 yards rushing

277 yards passing

585 total yards

100 offensive plays... That's right. 100

Marshall's defense was obviously awful, but what the stats don't show is what a Dodge-esqe tackling team Marshall put on the field.

Compare that to the 149 yards rushing (mainly on QB scrambles) and 66 yards passing MTSU had on Apogee and tell me again who has the best defense in CUSA?

Stomp a mid hole in USM.

I wanna see that freshman QB on the sideline curled up in the fetal position by the 3rd qtr...

According to Adam Sparks, the local paper's beat writer for MUTS, Kilgore was fine but was benched to try something different.

I don't buy this at all. You don't "change it up" in the 1st qtr of a close game, taking out your senior QB for a Frosh. Something happened, either injury or discipline issue.

Saw the whole game last night while playing a long session of Skyrim.

Marshall isn't as good as their record and stats would lead you to believe. I took a look at their pre-MTSU record and a few things stood out:

1.) Most of the CUSA-East has losing records. Up until recently, two teams in the CUSA-East had zero wins under their belts.
2.) Marshall's record has some weak wins in it - the win over FAU and the win over UTSA.

Marshall made a handful of mistakes, too. They didn't pressure Kilgore nearly enough. They didn't lock down the running game of MTSU, and their special teams had some serious problems that cost them the points needed to win the game. If they're supposed to be as good as their pre-MTSU record says, they didn't show it last night. They looked like some late Dickey/Dodge era stuff last night.

But considering that their last season was 5-7 with a lot of high scoring games, that doesn't surprise me.

• Upvote 1

One thing this win suggests is that the "old" SBC teams are/were playing football at a level pretty equal to CUSA.

With so many teams coming over from the SBC to CUSA this year and next, it will be interesting to see who will keep moving upward and who will fall backwards. I have a real belief that La Tech, UNT, MUTS, and WKU will have a lot of room to move upward. Even though La Tech has fallen back down this year, they will get back up soon, just as USM will, too. I suspect that Rice and Marshall will hold solid as the years go on, but teams like UTEP and UAB don't seem to have much to look forward to, in my opinion. And the newbies, UTSA, ODU, and Charlotte, they are all wildcards to me--I can see any of them becoming great or becoming the dregs of FBS, too.

What I want to see is how we compare to the AAC schools going forward--they will continue to lose teams, too. Louisville and Rutgers are out after this season and I suspect that UConn, Cincy, USF, and UCF are gonna be the next pieces to move upward to the ACC or the Big XII in coming years. When their league becomes AACusa, I hope that they will see how stupid it really is to try and and get away from your regional competition for the sake of staying "above" them, as opposed to looking at how much these closer rivalries help non-AQs out from a travel standpoint, as well as a coverage standpoint.

I still think that a conference made up of SMU, UNT, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, La Tech, UTEP, UH, UTSA, Texas State, Arkansas State, and ULL would be the ideal travel conference for the western schools of these three leagues. Let Marshall, Temple, ECU, FAU, FIU, Memphis, UAB, USM, MUTS, WKU, Charlotte, and ODU would be the league for eastern schools. Then you have Troy, ULM, NMSU, and all the other startups that are in the current SBC be the schools you can pluck if anyone leaves to go to the MWC. What absolutely none of these schools in the AAC think about is that their fans could care less about SMU and Temple playing each other or UH playing UAB--they never have and they never will. Those teams are too far away and don't have enough fans to increase your net receipts at the stadium, just like WKU or MUTS bring nothing to Apogee when they play here. One day, this will all get figured out, but I just don't know when or how it will play out. Maybe SMU and UNT playing 8 times in a row will change some of the mindset down in Dallas toward UNT as a potential conference mate down the road. It just makes too much sense for schools at our level of play for football and basketball.

• Upvote 1

I trust him over the Fox Sports dudes.

Early in the 1st, they were talking about Kilgore having a mild separated shoulder heading into the UNT game (not sure which shoulder 90). Then he got hit or otherwise knocked around and made it worse (started talking about different levels of the separation), and now after their bye week, Kilgore feels 100%.

Either the Fox guys had no idea what they were talking about, or Kilgore/Stock were backpedaling their failed experiment.

Story on shoulder injury: http://www.murfreesboropost.com/kilgore-injured-in-mtsu-season-opener-cms-36745

• Upvote 1

So it sounds like the shoulder injury was lingering and it probably bothered him early in our game and they pulled him.

On a separate note, Nick Montana is still not recovered from the shoulder injury he suffered in our game. He has not played a down since our game. I remember the hit was on the last drive when he was scrambling for a key first down. Can't recall if it was Lee or Trice. Yet with their special teams and defense they just keep winning. It will be interesting to see if Tulsa can solve the puzzle on how to beat Tulane and if they can pull off the win in New Orleans this weekend.

It will be interesting to see if Tulsa can solve the puzzle on how to beat Tulane and if they can pull off the win in New Orleans this weekend.

I just have to believe that 1 or 2 teams are going to reduce mistakes, not get a FG block returned for at TD, etc. vs those guys.

Surely their "luck" has to run out eventually. For cryin' out loud, they got beat by South Alabama and drilled by Syracuse.

• Upvote 1