Grambling

JRock

Yeah, from what I gather, thus far they've walked out of a meeting, no-showed at practice, and refused to play. Budget cuts aside...is it the coaches? Or is it what the coaches have been told to do/say that's the problem?

Pretty weak. Anyone on scholarship should lose it immediately. They give you an education to play. We had some cockroach infested garbage facilities and lost a ton of games for years but you didn't see UNT players walking out.

Hell, UNT Soccer didn't have a locker room and took vans to games further than 600 miles in the past and won. (a Grambling gripe on bleacher report via Twitter was busses to games)

All of those players are replaceable, especially since they apparently aren't good at their positions and obviously lack mental toughness. If I were their President I would drop the program and save the money for other sports. I have never heard of college players refusing to play. A lot of guys would kill to play for free.

Off my soap box.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

What's being lost here is that the football players are acting not just out of the state of their athletics, but of their entire campus and are using their visibility to bring attention to the rapid decay that is happening there.

A former boss of mine and his brother (and son!) all played Grambling football and I've been keeping up with them on Facebook. The picture they convey is one of systematic failure across the entirety of the university's administration.

• Upvote 2

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9846943/grambling-state-tigers-players-send-letter-complaint-administration

Yeah, I'm going to have to side with the players for sure now. I understand that the budget cuts aren't the University's choice, but if they're repeatedly getting staph infections and the facilities are that bad (look at the pics), plus they have to pay for supplements out-of-pocket (with what money?)...it's out of control.

On the other hand, you'd think an away game would be a welcome retreat, since the facilities for the visiting team must be better than what they're used to. Though the 14-17 hour bus rides certainly don't help much. I love a good road trip, but ouch.

There's a definite need for re-prioritization in how their limited budget is spent. Health and safety should be the first concern. The other things could be argued either way, but this is awful.

If the state is not going to properly fund these universities and if tuition and fees cannot be raised appropriately to support the schools, they should be closed. Political correctness or fear of being called names should not play a role. Fund them properly or shut them down.

Has enrollment been going up over the last few years? If so, it reflects interest in the school. If not...that pretty much says it all.

• Upvote 1

well side with players who were protesting the President, who in turn has now gone political about the lack of funding for HBC's. Mr. Grambling President get your @$$ out and fund-raise for YOUR university and stop asking for handouts and complaining.

I thought I saw a big red flag when I read the coaches flew while the players did these marathon bus rides.

Not the coaches:

The players were bothered, according to the letter, that "the president and athletic director traveled by plane."

The part that concerns me is the filth they had to contend with and the President pushing blame to someone else. If the facilities are in as bad of shape as they state, the pictures seem to support their claims, then how could anyone overlook them including the university president?