Official USMNT Rio 2014 Thread

but it got you to respond and pulled you away from the grass fairies. Go back to your futball game there brah.

I'm watching this thread. I would anyway. You are the one who is taking the extra time.

I am surprised there are sports snobs on a Mean Green board. There are far more people interested in the USMNT than in the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2

I'm watching this thread. I would anyway. You are the one who is taking the extra time.

I am surprised there are sports snobs on a Mean Green board. There are far more people interested in the USMNT than in the Mean Green.

Far more, yes. It's hard not to be interested in USMNT, it's so damn exciting.

The highest rated Super Bowl had 106.5 million viewers.

The highest rated World Cup final had 715.1 million viewers.

Last year's SB had 111 million but I agree, soccer is almost 7 times more exciting than football. Today's game was filled with highlight plays. Edited by GreenMachine
  • Downvote 3

So.... As an admitted soccer hatin buttohole... How does a soccer idiot try and keep this Futbol boner going after the World Cup? It's far fetched but I might just be willing to try.

Also... Do our World Cup allegiances fall with Dirk (Germany) or America proper (Messi Argentina?)

Edited by Green P1

Random thoughts:

Timmy....wow. An amazing match. Can't say much more

Deandre Yedlin....loved him. Dude is quick, played D and was our only spark up the pitch. Very excited to see this kid in the future

Wondo.....ouch....ouch....ouch...

What an amazing set piece and well executed except for the Dempsey finish, beautiful.

We looked like we had heavy legs for most the match.

Beasley had a hell of a tourney on both ends.mdude worked hard

Julian Green, what a finish for the youngster

Audi didn't set one corner kick on target all WC

So, I say this knowing full well that pretty much everything I've said about this team was proven wrong today.

Tim Howard, awesome as he is, was not the man of the match. That belongs to our back line who threw their bodies around the field like it was their last day on earth. They forced Belgium into bad angles all game long. Virtually all of Howard's 16 saves were shots taken directly at him or easy push /punch saves. I said that these guys were garbage, and today, I was wrong.

Now Lukaku? Blew our guys away. Changed the game and won it for them almost single handedly. Damn I wish he played for the good guys...or hell, that our version of beast mode (altidore) had been healthy. Poor Dempsey got out muscled all day, and god bless poor wondo. He was never fit for a game against this quality of an opponent. He'll have nightmares over that miss the rest of life, and I for one feel for him.

As for those that think this is a turning point, I give you the 2006 usmnt. 2002 ended quite the same way as today...with the usmnt giving a valiant effort against Germany. I don't see that much has really changed. Our strengths are our grit, fitness, and physicality. Our weakness our technical ability.

I for one hope we check all these Honduran and El salvadorian immigrants for ball skills and poise before deporting them. We all know Pres Obama is a sports fan and his health care policy blows. But maybe he's a genius in the immigration reform and is setting us up for World Cup glory in 2022?! :)

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2

Everything changed when Altidore got injured. Altidore up top allowed Dempsey and Bradley to play creative and ball control roles. When Dempsey moved up top it left Bradley by himself in this role and that's not enough.

We still struggle for players with that kind of ball control and vision, but then so do all but the top 5-6 teams in the world. If Altidore was healthy we could have had a much better tournament. As it were, the team is so much stronger than 2010. I mean we had Robbie Findley and Ricardo Clark starting last World Cup. Those players had no business being in the team. We are getting better.

Howard is amazing, if you say differently then you don't know soccer.

We've improved our depth. We had good backups at nearly every position. This has never been the case.

The way the team battled back after going down 2-0 in Extra Time was remarkable. We lost with honor. Most teams would have folded at that point.

Someone has to lose. All but one team will, but we got everything from our talent. Many other teams cannot say that.

• Upvote 1

Still just absolutely gutted.

I feel oh so bad for Wondo. Every soccer player in the world has missed sitters like that...not many have to live with knowing it went a long way to costing his country a world cup win.

The future is bright...get Nagbe, Fagundez...and pretty, pretty please Gedion Zalalem into the system.

also, this is a thing

https://twitter.com/TheSCRLife/status/484331988979949568/photo/1

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 2