Official USMNT Rio 2014 Thread

I didn't want further footie discussion taking place in that depressing Mexico in/Panama out thread...

A very impressive run through what proved to be a competitive hexagonal...there isn't enough credit that I can heap on Klinsmann for installing a system and mentality and sticking to it in spite of some early bumps in the road and alienating some veteran players. The quality of play and depth in squad are miles ahead of where they were going into South Africa in 2010. Some bit of luck will certainly play into how far the USMNT can advance, but I'm certain this squad is looking beyond the idea that just getting out of group is our trophy...with all the pieces in place and with a favorable draw I think this squad is capable of winning a match...maybe two...in the knock-out stages.

Assuming fitness...my picks for your 23-man roster

Goalkeepers (3) - Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando
- this one is pretty easy...I think Guzan will push Howard for the number 1 shirt, but I'd expect Klinsmann to go with the experienced Howard...and the competition should make him all the better

Central Defenders (4) - Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, Clarence Goodson, Geoff Cameron
- it seems Gonzalez and Besler is Klinsmann's preferred pairing...Goodson is steady and imposing in the air...Cameron's ability to play CB, RB or in a holding midfield position should make him a near lock for Rio

Fullbacks (4) - DeMarcus Beasley, Fabian Johnson, Steve Cherundelo, Brad Evans
- ugh. this is the best of the lot...and the achilles heel the squad. Again...assuming fitness...I'm still of the belief that Cherundelo walks right back into the squad and the starting right back position. Evans has been ok...but the thought of some world class left wings running at him for 90 minutes doesn't exactly instill confidence. On the other side...two converted midfielders. Johnson is the best option, but he plays more forward for his club and might also prove the best option playing in front of left back. The lack of progress in Timmy Chandler is absolutely glaring here. If Cherundelo is actually done, I'd pick Michael Parkhurst here...he offers nothing going forward, but he's steady and reliable.

Central Midfield (4) - Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Sacha Kljestin, Mixx Diskeruud
- Bradley is the most valuable player on this squad. He dictates play going forward and is a calming presence in front of the back 4. He and Jones have formed a solid partnership in the holding roles (and let's hope it's a partnership come 2014, because Jones looks at best pedestrian, at worst a liability without Bradley next to him). Kljestin's experience on some of the bigger stages in Europe and Diskeruud's place as really the closest thing this squad has to a legit no. 10 give them the reserve nods over the likes of Beckerman, Corona or Torres. Danny Williams may still have a little something to say, but it'll take a great run of form

Wide Midfield (4) - Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Alejandro Bedoya, Brad Davis

- I think the first 3 are no-brainers...Davis I'm including because he is the only true left-sided player if Fabian Johnson is going to be in defense. We saw against Panama that neither Bedoya or Zusi can play on the left...and with Donovan likely playing some centrally, I think Davis's left foot and his ability on set-pieces (where the US is probably going to have to find a number of their goals) will get him in the squad.

Forwards (4) - Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Aron Johansson
- Jozy is a lock to start up-front. Dempsey needs to regain some form and confidence after his precipitous step back from Spurs (awful club they may be) to the MLS...I'm not sure this squad is at it's best with his starting. Johnson is the ideal reserve striker for this squad...and he can play wide in a pinch. Johansson is the best prospect in the US system (unless my Arsenal starlet Gedion Zelalem opts to pledge to the USMNT)...he's in form for Az Alkmaar (Jozy's old Dutch club) and has the touch of class lacked by forward options like Boyd or Wondo.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• 5 months later...

Everyone is getting worried because most of the studs on the roster are on MLS rosters right now. I for one, think it might be a good thing in a sense. Donovan made some good points before last world cup about how they are more refreshed than the Europeans who just got off playing an entire season. Many players who were riding the benches in Europe are getting significant playing time in the US as well.

Ha! Funny...I am guessing that 75% of the folks on this site had to look at your post to figure out what you meant by "USMNT".

USA....USA....USA!

Nice job here CBL.

i really thought this was going to be a civil discussion on the United States Mutant Ninja Turtles... imagine my disappointment

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

4/3/14

Goalkeepers (3) - Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

Central Defenders (4) - Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler, Clarence Goodson, Geoff Cameron

Fullbacks (4) - DeMarcus Beasley, Fabian Johnson, Steve Cherundelo, Brad Evans Michael Parkhurst, DeAndre Yedlin(?)

Central Midfield (4 3) - Michael Bradley, Jermaine Jones, Sacha Kljestin, Mixx Diskeruud Kyle Beckerman

Wide Midfield (4) - Landon Donovan, Graham Zusi, Alejandro Bedoya, Brad Davis Davis or Julian Green (or...maybe sill Maurice Edu, centrally)

Forwards (4 5) - Jozy Altidore, Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson, Aron Johansson, Chris Wondolowski

A real tale of two-halves last night, and while the US will certainly feel be-grieved for having EJ's goal disallowed, a 2-2 result was probably befitting the performance both sides put out. Some observations:

Michael Bradley is the hear ant soul of the USMNT. His wonderfully taken goal was only out-shined by the brilliant flick-header to assist Wondo's. He completely bossed the midfield in the first half...and from a more advanced role than he's accustom to playing...a role he may be better suited to, but I wonder if JK can afford to take him out of the holding role come Rio.

I've been highly critical of Chris Wondolowski. I haven't thought he had the overall class to compete fully on the international level. I have been wrong. I now simply do not see how JK can leave him off the squad...he's far from technically gifted, but good lord he has a knack for goals...his movement is fantastic, perhaps only bettered by his instinct (remarkably deft run and anticipation of Bradley's flick-on) and he displayed a strong work-rate and willingness to drop into the midfield to win back possession. In essence, he's our Chicharito...a poacher who I'd love to have available in the 75th minute of a 1-1 match.

Omar Gonzalez's spot in the 23 may be safe, but it's only for a lack of other options. He was awful last night...but is still a more viable option than Gooch or Brooks on the roster. Besler was good...and Goodson has been consistent and steady through out the build up.

Julian Green. He had some moments last night...both positive and negative. I do wonder if there was at least a nod and wink agreement at a Rio spot for his US commitment...but even if there wasn't, he may be good enough (or rather other options like Brek Shea, Danny Williams, Sacha Kjlestian...and to a lesser extent Brad Davis have been so uninspiring or Shea's case just downright stupid) to merit a spot in the 23, even if he doesn't sniff the pitch.

Beckerman was solid...did exactly what Beckerman do. He and Edu I give some consideration to though less on their play, and more on Bradley's in an advanced role. If JK prefers him as more of a 10 in behind a striker, he has to add to his holding ranks and that may open up a spot for or two for Beckerman and/or Edu, though with Geoff Cameron's ability to play in the holding role I'd imagine only one, Beckerman, makes the squad.

And since we're on Cameron...he's a tough study. He's almost certainly the squad's best RB...he's been excellent all season for Stoke, a very defensive EPL side. His positional flexibility though makes him quite valuable as both a CB and CM option...and with Fabian Johnson now starting at Hoffenheim at RB it gives JK a viable option to keep Cameron in his utility role.

If I had to pick an XI for Ghana

4-2-3-1

GK - Tim Howard

RB - Fabian Johnson

CB - Clerance Goodson

CB - Matt Besler

LB - DaMarcus Beasley (I guess...)

HM - Jermain Jones

HM - Michael Bradley

RW - Graham Zusi

CF - Aron Johannson

LW - Clint Dempsey

ST - Jozy Altidore

Donovan coming off the bench in relief?

EJs run on the disallowed goal was beautiful

Ya...there are some even questioning Donovan's place on the squad, but I think his Gold Cup performances show that when he's engaged he's still a marvelous talent. I don't think at his age he can go 90 minutes...especially in the Brazilian jungle. For me...if he's the first guy off the bench and in a high leverage situation (which hopefully all our matches will be after an hour) I think he'll stay mentally in the game and could provide another big goal or two. I honestly don't even think Dempsey's spot is assured in the first XI...it'd take going to a shape more akin to what the US played last night...but given bradley's performance in an advanced role, you could play him in behind two strikers with a midfield of Jones-Beckerman-Zusi/Bedoya

EJ's finish was even better. He needed that...even if it doesn't go on the score-sheet it's in JKs head. From my re-assessed potential roster, 5 forwards would be a lot to take (though I guess you could count Dempsey as a midfielder)...Wondo's play has them both on the cusp...I'd like to see both there.

• Downvote 1

There's no way you leave Donovan off the squad, absolutely no way. JK did say he didn't look great in training, but the guy is still practically the heart of this team.

Agree with you, but is his heart in it any longer? If his fitness is lagging this close to Rio and with team selection on the line....well, what does that say? Unless he is hurt, then he should be game fit NOW. If JK thinks he isn't that says something about "want to".

The guy owes nothing...he has been the heart and soul of US Men's Soccer for sometime now and has given everything he's got. Number one for sure, but it is not out of the question that JK us making these comments about his fitness and commentators are questioning his position on the World Cup squad.

I darn sure hope he is on the team, but only if he is there to contribute and in tip top shape. Too tough a draw to put anyone on the squad just because they were great once! Pulling for Donovan to make it, but would not fall over in surprise if JK left him off this time. Would be a big time controversy if he did and certainly leave JK open to "second guessing" by all the talking heads.

Agree with you, but is his heart in it any longer? If his fitness is lagging this close to Rio and with team selection on the line....well, what does that say? Unless he is hurt, then he should be game fit NOW. If JK thinks he isn't that says something about "want to".

The guy owes nothing...he has been the heart and soul of US Men's Soccer for sometime now and has given everything he's got. Number one for sure, but it is not out of the question that JK us making these comments about his fitness and commentators are questioning his position on the World Cup squad.

I darn sure hope he is on the team, but only if he is there to contribute and in tip top shape. Too tough a draw to put anyone on the squad just because they were great once! Pulling for Donovan to make it, but would not fall over in surprise if JK left him off this time. Would be a big time controversy if he did and certainly leave JK open to "second guessing" by all the talking heads.

Even if he's not in full match shape, I bet he could still come off the bench for a major spark. He may not start, but surely Klinsmann can't leave him off the roster altogether.

I too am in the camp that Landon will be in the squad, though probably not starting...just pointing out that there Twellmans and Lalases of the world are having that as a talking point.

Dempsey with a hat trick today. Big boost for his confidence...hope he keeps finding the net. Bradley and Edu also with goals...and DeAndre Yedlin won a penalty

And yes...those away kits are terrible.

I too am in the camp that Landon will be in the squad, though probably not starting...just pointing out that there Twellmans and Lalases of the world are having that as a talking point.

Dempsey with a hat trick today. Big boost for his confidence...hope he keeps finding the net. Bradley and Edu also with goals...and DeAndre Yedlin won a penalty

1. They released those hideous away kits on April fools day. I didn't realize until the Mexico game started that it wasn't a joke.

2. I hope Dempsey cools off for next week when Seattle plays Dallas....and then goes back to scoring hat tricks.

I'm really not sold on Yedlin. Sure he does well to get up the wings and create good chances as a RB, but his defending is lacking.

Also I'm doing my part to kick up the conversation for Matt Hedges to get a call-up. It's not like we're deep on CBs at this point...

I'm really not sold on Yedlin. Sure he does well to get up the wings and create good chances as a RB, but his defending is lacking.

Also I'm doing my part to kick up the conversation for Matt Hedges to get a call-up. It's not like we're deep on CBs at this point...

Agree with you that Hedges deserves a look. Defense wins World Cups. I think the US will be able to score. I need to see more from the defense. Especially after the melt down against Mexico recently in the second half. Mexico is not anyone's real pick to win the World Cup or to have to big a chance of advancing for that matter. US is in a very tough group....defense must be at its best. We'll see. I do think JK will have the squad ready.

And, I don't care what the kits look like...just win!