Hype Gone Wrong

MeanGreenGlory

There have been a few threads lately about how UNT needs more hype during games and how we need more planned traditions to take place at specific times.

Well...Western Michigan University is making an attempt to do just that.

And so far, it's been a huge flop.

The coach, despite the school mascot being the BRONCOS, decided to implement traditions revolved around a boating theme?

A lot of the students and alumni hate it. Here's the video:

I agree that UNT could benefit from regular traditions throughout the course of a game, but this is an example on how you can actually lose some of your fan base when you try to go about it the wrong way.

North Texas just needs to develop and improve on the traditions we already have; and yes, more winning than losing goes a long ways in helping that to happen.

One of our un-developed traditions; that is.....IMHO? How's 'bout more fans in the stands singing Glory to the Green during the pre-game? I sang it word for word last week and only got a few stares. :)

Then....to take the lead from our Mean Green football team from their ON THE GREEN TV program to sing our Fight Song at least during the pre-game show.

I don't think you can invent traditions and hope for instant success as WMU seems to be attempting.

GMG!

PS: ATTENTION UNT STAFF:

For those who need a little help with the lyrics, it would be a great help to put the lyrics of both Glory to the Green and the UNT Fight Song on the Apogee Stadium jumbotron screen like yall used to do at Fouts.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

Aside from misspelling "defense" I just can't see how anyone could think this guy is ridiculous.

Not the row your boat motion before the 4th quarter.

Not the overly animated flag corps arm waving on third downs...while Metallica plays.

Not the ripping off of hockey music.

Nope, nothing else silly to see here.

• Upvote 1

North Texas just needs to develop and improve on the traditions we already have; and yes, more winning than losing goes a long ways in helping that to happen.

One of our un-developed traditions; that is.....IMHO? How's 'bout more fans in the stands singing Glory to the Green during the pre-game? I sang it word for word last week and only got a few stares. :)

Then....to take the lead from our Mean Green football team from their ON THE GREEN TV program to sing our Fight Song at least during the pre-game show.

I don't think you can invent traditions and hope for instant success as WMU seems to be attempting.

GMG!

PS: ATTENTION UNT STAFF:

For those who need a little help with the lyrics, it would be a great help to put the lyrics of both Glory to the Green and the UNT Fight Song on the Apogee Stadium jumbotron screen like yall used to do at Fouts.

Damn Jim! I'm right there with you.... :thumbsu:

I've decided that instead of the hand sign/waving, I'm going to stand and sing along with the playing of "Glory to the Green and White". I believe that I got all the words right. I even re-instated some old words whilst singing. I put back "forever in the right" instead of the recent (and more ambiguous) version "striving for the right".

Jim this psychic connection between two old North Texas coots is a bit scary.

Standing and singing the alma mater is what I noticed that everyone did when I attended NT homecoming games in the 60's with my HS band.

Here's an idea. How about at the end of the game when we play "Glory to the Green" the band does the intro and the crowd sings it "a cappella".

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

I've decided that instead of the hand sign/waving, I'm going to stand and sing along with the playing of "Glory to the Green and White". I believe that I got all the words right. I even re-instated some old words whilst singing. I put back "forever in the right" instead of the recent (and more ambiguous) version "striving for the right".

Here's an idea. How about at the end of the game when we play "Glory to the Green" the band does the intro and the crowd sings it "a cappella".

"Forever in the right" is how I learned it. I will go back to singing it that way also. Good traditions should not change. I do like the idea of adding the a cappella repeat.

Damn Jim! I'm right there with you.... :thumbsu:

Jim this psychic connection between two old North Texas coots is a bit scary.

Standing and singing the alma mater is what I noticed that everyone did when I attended NT homecoming games in the 60's with my HS band.

And, Bill, there are enough trained musicians among our crowd that we could do an a capella version in a chorale-esque 8 part harmony, too, right? :) Hellsbells! We'd be doing some serious' cookin' then! LOL! :bbq: (Glory To The Green is not a difficult song to sing, either, but "seriously" I think we'd have to settle for all singing in unison).

PLUS...........this song would resonate with the fan'tabulous accoustics we now have at Apogee Stadium

I recall in one Music Appreciation class back in '72 that UNT icon 'Fessor Floyd Graham suggested we learn our school song. Heck, "Fessor Graham probably taught the very ones who wrote our alma mater and fight songs as it is

NOTE: For you newbies, 'Fessor Floyd Graham once put UNT students Pat Boone & Roy Orbison in a quartet back in the day. :goodjob: . They both (among others) sang in 'Fessor Grahams quite famous and well known Saturday Night Stage Shows which originated from UNT's old Main Auditorium on our campus across from present day Voertmans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Graham

I'm serious about this as I know you are, too, Bill. What better tradition than our entire Apogee crowd singing "Glory to the Green? We do need the Apogee graphics people to put the lyrics back on the screen and a la karaoke the word colors change along with the song. The graphics folks used to put the alma mater lyrics on the Jumbotron at the old but now retired lady, ie, venerable Fouts Field.

Found the fight song in the below YouTube video with lyrics but could not find Glory To The Green on YouTube. Someone know where else we could find it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcck3eepPV0

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

My favorite part was that he looked like he had to get some liquid courage to say the things he was saying. Parts were emphasized (ex. "BY METALLICA") like he was trying to overcome the shame. He must have realized the ridiculousness of what he was saying as he heard it said out loud for the first time.

My favorite part was the bit about the Blackhawks. His reasoning boiled down to "The Blackhawks do it and it's kewl so yeah"

Yes. So much bro.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 1